September 2, 2014

Dexter: Truth Be Told

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 11th 2006 12:39AM

Christian Camargo plays Rudy, The Ice Truck Killer on 'Dexter.'

(S01E11) Oh. My. God. This may very well have been a perfect hour of television. Could this show possibly be any better? Frankly, I have no idea how I'm going to spend my Sunday nights after next week's season finale. Maybe I'll take up crocheting? Or try watching Brothers and Sisters? Nah... Sally Field freaks me out. Doesn't matter really. Nothing else will compare to Dexter. For those that have doubted Showtime and this show still hasn't sold you on the quality of the network? Man, maybe you should be the one taking up crocheting.

So this episode was the unveiling of Rudy. Everything fell into place and Dexter came up with the answers he needed. For Rudy that is... not himself. The majority of the episode, Dexter spent his time digging through newspaper microfilms. But much like him, we're in the dark still. We know his mother (her name was Laura Mohser) was killed with three other people who had been stealing cocaine. They were butchered inside a shipping canister down at the pier and Dex witnessed it all as a boy. The date is what had relevance. It happened on October 3, 1973. 10/3/73. 10 and 3. 103. That newspaper article is what Rudy wanted Dexter to find all along. I still think we're going to find out they're brothers. Why else would Rudy be invested in something like this unless there was a blood relation?

Even more confusing is Camilla's (remember her? the police records lady? loves bear-claws?) admission that she destroyed the original case file per Harry's request. There is something in there that Harry didn't want Dex to ever find out. My guess? There was a brother. My second guess? We're not going to find out until next season. It looks like there's way too much going on in the finale next week. How bad could it be though that Camilla is still keeping her lips sealed? The Nine is all but canceled, so can we start using the tagline "What Happened in There" for this show?

OK, moving on. So how cool was it as it all unfolded for Dexter? First he found blood on the back of Angel's shirt. Then he found teeth marks on the back on Angel's head. And BOOM! Angel said something about giving the guy a fat lip and it hit Dexter. Rudy had a fat lip, slightly bloody, day old maybe. Checked out his apartment, grabbed a bloody cotton ball from the trash. Saw the industrial grade door lock, the security camera. Despite the fact that we've known what was going on for a while now, the way they did this, I still felt like I was finding out for the first time too. It was great.

So of course the blood from the trash and from Angel's shirt matched. And as if we didn't need more proof, Masuka found the connection between the latest prostitute victim and her prosthetic arm. Then Rudy, who was with Deb, popped a menthol cough drop (remember Tucci's description?) in his mouth. The final blow before he knocked her unconscious. We literally got everything we possibly could have gotten to confirm Rudy was the ITK. I loved it.

Way too much going on, but some other observations:

• I honestly can't believe Matthews came out clean and he demoted LaGuerta. I guess it's like Doakes said: "It's who you know and who you blow." I wonder if we'll meet the new Lieutenant, Esme Pasquale, in the finale?
  • I feel so bad for Angel. His ex-wife totally shot him down in the hospital when he broached the topic of them getting back together. Maybe she shouldn't be spending every second by his bedside then? You have to admit, anyone would have come to the same conclusion he did.
  • Doakes totally wants Deb. There's been flirting all season, but there was that one scene... he was undressing her with his eyes. She was returning the favor though. They were all smiles. Again, we definitely won't see a payoff on this until next season.
  • Even though Rita took Dexter's advice and had Paul lay out the truth for his kids, she still seemed pretty angry that Dexter was offering parenting advice. I wonder if they'll continue to fight?
  • Is it wrong that I laughed as Rudy was humming "Deck the Halls" while wrapping up all those body parts?
  • How mean was Rudy to Deb on the yacht? Remember what he said to her when he described how easy it was to trick her? Because she was desperate to fall in love. Ouch. And he proposed to her using the dead hooker's ring!

Wow... I should really stop talking. I could keep going on this write-up all night. This is just such an incredibly good show and I can't get over how great this episode was. Your turn now. Who's got theories about next week's finale?

Oh man, quotes! I forgot quotes!

Dexter (lamenting over his current dreams): "I've never had much concept for Hell. But if Hell exists? I'm in it."

Deb (declining Masuka's sexual advances): "No thanks. Last thing on my wish list is a burning sensation when I pee."

Jeff Peterson

I am a first time poster. I love reading all of your comments/theories, etc. This is IMO the best television program ever produced. And Michael Hall....incredible actor. I've not read the books. I ordered the first one on line a few days ago and will read it as soon as it arrives. My 2 cents worth: Rudy IS Dexter's brother. They have the same mother but different fathers. And has anyone been paying attention to the technical aspects of the show....camera angles, editing and so on. Is it my imagination or are a lot of the "important" scenes becoming darker, (in terms of lighting)? This is an incredible show and I also want to take Kim to task for revealing some of the story line. Kim, why in the world would you do that? Have you not deduced that I/we do NOT want to know? Shame on you! It's gonna be one heck of a finale tonight!

December 17 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nishtha

maybe Harry didn't want Dexter to know that they never caught the guy who murdered his mother and her associates. Some of you have assumed that they caught the guy because Dexter made that comment about the drug dealer but I never heared any mention about a conviction or even an arrest.

December 17 2006 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nishtha

Am I the only one who thinks that Dexter's victims, well their pieces anyway, are going to be coming up from the briny deep for a little show and tell session with Deb? Rudy is definitely connected to the "original crimescene" in some way because he knows shit about the case that even Dexter himself doesn't know. I held my breath for twenty friggin minutes--no foolin.

December 17 2006 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony T.

I, like all of you people, am nuts about this show.

I'm glad I waited a couple of days to read your comments. Here's my two cents.

Rudy and Dexter are not brothers. Rudy is seeking revenge for a murder either Dexter did or of Harry's doing. Rudy needed to enter Dexter's apartment to learn more of Dexter's pass so he could leave those clues. I believe Rudy could have been there during the Dexter mom bloodbath and he might have even participated. Rudy could be more than 10 years older than Dexter and he could have been sent away himself, possibly some mental institution. The years needed to become a doctor also bothered me but Rudy is extremely bright and he could have been one of these genius students that just excell and move through the process quickly, ala Doogie Howser MD.

Doakes, I predict saves Deb. He finds out about Dexter but he doesn't act on it as he too is a killer of people who really deserve it. Dexter reminds him of him. He and Harry are two of my favorite characthers on this show. Like Harry, Doakes will protect Dexter.

Can't wait until Sunday.

December 14 2006 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amber

I def think it was Dex's father that killed his mom. In father knows best, when they were all in Dex's dad's house wondering why it seemed like he had "disappeared" for thirty years,rudy said "maybe he butchered his entire family". I think he didn't get the death sentance b/c he probably rolled over on a higher up drug connection while in prison and was put in witness protection.

December 14 2006 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

I predict that Deb will survive, but she or someone else will find out about Dexter's true nature.

December 14 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yy

I like David Acosta's theory (#32). Although I'm not sure about Harry killed the killer, it seems to me a promising guess that Harry did something so bad in the crime scene that could have destroyed the great image that Dex and Deb look up to him.

Remember when Dex and Rita argue about parenting? Rita says something like parents should keep kids from the real even if that means they have to conceal who they really are from their own children. It's to protect the kids, she says. And Dex does not agree.

Camilla coincidentally brings up the same point. I believe they put it in the episode for a reason. We'll see.

December 14 2006 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mav

I do not think Rudy is Dex's bio brother, if they were, why would he wait all these years to kill his own father(Rudy--Cable Guy) etc.

Rudy knows way too much about Dex's past and is doing everything he can to destroy him, not just hurt him, but absolutely demolish him. He killed his father and he has been roping Deb in for weeks, he very easily could have killed her without giving his identity away weeks ago.

He must be related to the Killer, prob the killers son, Harry might have killed Rudy's father as I do believe Harry said he had killed someone. How would Rudy know all there is to know about the crime scene, especially if the file was destroyed. Doesn't make sense for them to be bio-brothers, Rudy wouldn't kill his own Dad 20 years later, he is trying to finish the job the original killer didn't do, and why would the original killer have chopped up four people and not killed a kid, almost like the original killer is just like Dexter, killed bad people, but not children...who the eff knows.

December 14 2006 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mav

Didn't Rudy Kill Dex's bio father, if they were brothers, why we would he kill his own father? I think he has a personal vengeance against Dex, he killed his Bio Father, he is going to try and kill Deb, he is trying to ruin his life. Perhaps Dex killed someone in Rudy's life earlier, who knows.

All I know is Rudy somehow knows way to much information about Dex and his past, especially if the police file was destroyed. Curious to know how he would know all of that. He obviously could have killed Deb much sooner and easier but he wanted to draw it out, he wants to crush Dex.

Thoughts?

December 14 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George Gomez

The Dexter series is "simply the best" television. It is the ONLY program where I gather all my food and drink so as I do not have to get up and miss anything.
Great series Showtime.