April 18, 2014

Ian McShane on Deadwood's early grave

by Julia Ward, posted Dec 11th 2006 5:32PM
Ian McShane DeadwoodBrace yourself, Deadwood fans. In an interview with ComingSoon.net, Ian McShane reveals that the cast and crew is still waiting for word on whether or not the two Deadwood movies will be made. "Today they say yes, they will be done, but who knows what they'll say tomorrow. I've got a feeling in me that it's not completely dead in some way, but who knows what they could do it?"

As you may recall, Deadwood was nixed by HBO because of their supposed enthusiasm for Milch's next project John from Cincinnati. HBO offered Milch six episodes to wrap the series up. He refused, opting instead for two two-hour films that he felt might let him bring the series to a proper close.

McShane sheds a little light on this as well. The way our man Swearengen figures it HBO canceled the series because it was produced by Paramount, which was taking most of the show's back-end profits for itself. Because of the level of freedom Milch and his crew were given, the show was expensive to film and not making HBO a whole lot of cash. McShane chalks up the show's premature end to "some bean counter." I think what he meant to say was "some hoopleheaded cocksucking bean counter."

Richard Craig

HBO,
UNFORTUNATELY DEADWOOD WAS THE ONLY REASON I HAVE YOUR SERVICE, SO NO DEADWOOD, NO $50.00 A MONTH FROM ME! YOU "HOOPLEHEADED MONEYGRUBBING COCKSUCKERS!"

March 10 2007 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie clemishaw

Does anyone know yet if Deadwood will return to HBO? I just love that show for many reasons. I know that one big reason is that the language is very close to the language spoken at that time in the real city Deadwood. The cursing is a bit much but that's tv. Please someone let me know if this show is a GO or NO GO! I will end my HBO subscription if Deadwood is no longer aired.

March 05 2007 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

You fuckin' cocksuckers! You let those damn 'hoople-heads' cancel the show! What're YOU lookin' at...?! I farted! So what....?

March 01 2007 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corey vanbuskirk

Well I have to agree to all of the above. HBO you SUCK!!! I already canceled. I'm not one to make sure I'm home at a certain time to watch a tv series. But you bet your sweet ass I was home to watch DEADWOOD!!! And thats coming from a guy who don't do tv series at all. The Sopranos never watch them and thats supposed to be a good series. Could care less. Now DEADWOOD that got in my blood and I was hooked from there!! Bought every season can't wait till the 3rd one comes out. Again not one to go out and buy dvd's but I made sure i got them. Shame on who ever axes this series!! Hope someone comes to their sense!! If not their all COCK SUCKERS in my eyes!!! Thanks for your time and thanks for letting me vent my anger!!!

February 27 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

After Deadwood was nixed, my house has absoutly no use for HBO. Deadwood was an intense drama which my husband and I looked forward to watching each and every week. We have never missed one episode.It was the one show we watched together. Will be cancelling HBO, and my Sunday nights are now so very dull! Shame on them!!

February 27 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Z

There were 3 TV shows that my brain insisted MUST be watched. There are now only 2. Deadwood was the #1 show on my must watch list. It had all the things that make for great television...storyline, realism, great acting, and most of all character development. Ian McShanes' portrayal of Al Swearengen was quite possibly the best work any actor has ever done on television. HBO has erred in judgment once again. It wasn't the first time, and it surely won't be the last. The watchers of Deadwood were loyal and would have stayed HBO subscribers for years to come, and many were so loyal that HBO has already recieved their cancellation requests in response to the shows early demise. I'll live, and life will go on, it will just be a little less entertaining on Sunday evenings not having the Gem Saloon to look in on. I take solace in the fact that FX's The Shield is preparing to air it's new season opener on April 3rd follwed by the new season of Rescue Me. FX trumps HBO...Big Love and Entourage my butt.

February 26 2007 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brett kelly

With Deadwood being canceled and the sopranos coming to an end why even subscribe? Better wake up HBO, all of the series people watch HBO for are gone or going away, along with your subscribers!! Great business plan

February 22 2007 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

HBO,
Some of your shows are not watched by this house !
can't stand some of them ! Sopranos was good for a while and Deadwood has got to be the best ! I'll have to agree with the guy that called HBO big wiggs Knob Polishers ! Definately got your head up your ass on that decision !! Almost time to bail!
DJ

February 22 2007 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Fay

I was just going through my DVR shows wondering when Deadwood was coming back on and ran in to this site. I used to have HBO for only one reason and that was Dennis Miller Live, possibly the best thing he may ever have done or will do, except maybe become the next President of the USA. After that was cancelled, I thought of getting rid of HBO and then started watching some of the movies and just ended up keeping it, quite honestly because I just never got around to calling and getting rid of it. I am glad that I did keep it up until now. I can't belive that you don't have enough money to produce this show. Rome doesn't even have to be made. There you go. Problem solved. If HBO takes away Deadwood, the only thing you have left is Bill Maher, and yes he is good enough to pay the monthly fee for, but after that, I'm done. Why would you take away a show from so many viewers that are just getting interested in the plot and characters when most people I know have already decided to get rid of HBO if it is cancelled. The only reason that I would stay with HBO is that I am absoulutely in love with Bill Maher, not literally, but I do love to watch him in action and have for years. You would be insulting your viewers if you think for one moment that we believe that you don't have the money to contuine this show. You have so much money that your own wants outweigh what the public wants. So you go on and make your show about John and Cincinnati, but I will not be watching it, if nothing else, just on principal. I think you are cheating YOUR PAYING customers out of one of the best shows ever put on the air.

February 19 2007 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Big movie business types always make these same errors in judgement. Look at the original Star Trek. It ran for three years, still running forty years later, with a huge base of fans new and old. Please don't flame me for the similarities to Trekkies, but I love Deadwood! I think it is intelligently written, the dialogue is the best on TV, as it makes you sit and listen to what is being spoken in that old English Victorian style. The plots make you want to watch the next episode, and I can't say that about todays sitcoms...
Lets have another ten seasons of Deadwood!

February 11 2007 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply