September 18, 2014

WKRP coming to DVD - seriously!

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 11th 2006 2:28PM

WKRPNo, this is not a joke. WKRP In Cincinnati is really coming out on DVD. There are flyers in the new DVD release of the Pamela Anderson sitcom Stacked (I knew that sitcom was good for something).

The show has been held up for a very long time because of rights issues concerning the music. There was a lot of music used on the show, and getting the rights to use the songs again on DVDs is very hard for a TV show. Or even in syndication. Fans of WKRP will remember that when the show was shown in syndication, almost all of the rock songs were replaced by other tunes, and many of them didn't even fit the scene they were used in. It was very irritating.

So how have they solved that problem? Well...in some cases, they haven't. The people putting together the DVDs have used the original music when they can, and when they can't, they've spent time trying to find music that is different but fits the scene anyway. Sure, I'd love to see all the music stay intact, but this is better than nothing.

Peter

I just checked the foxhome.com website and there is no mention of WKRP being released on DVD on 24APR07? Are you sure they are releasing it?

February 27 2007 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I can't wait!!!! This is one of my all time favorties.

"I'm a giant carp Andy!"

December 19 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

YES!!!! I loved this show but why couldn't we have had it in time for this Christmas so I could finally have something on my list.

December 11 2006 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

YES!!!! Finally. I won't be able to really believe it until I actually have it in my hand.

"The real cops are in on it too!"

December 11 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

I can think of about half a dozen instances where the music was really key to a scene -- the main one that pops up is when Les was getting dressed for a big date (with Jennifer, I think) to Foreigner's "Hot Blooded".

December 11 2006 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guido

Awesome news ... about time.

December 11 2006 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Rabinowitz

"Oh the HUMANITY!"

December 11 2006 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zakk

Say it with me people

BOOOOOOOOOGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 11 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkiatotx

Who knew that Turkeys couldn't fly?

December 11 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gonzo

I want this as bad as anyone. I really do. However, I hope that not a single set is purchased. I don't want to give the studio execs any sense that it is okay to change the music. I know in this case it's hard, but if they can be successful in this case, then what is to stop them from thinking that they can save money on all their series sets by replacing some of the music with cheaper stuff.

December 11 2006 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply