November 23, 2014

CSI: Miami - Backstabbers

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 12th 2006 11:46AM

Wolfe, being filmed.(S05E11) This was a follow-up to that absolutely ridiculous episode from a few weeks ago. Remember the one where the guy and his family got kidnapped, it was somehow tied to a terrorist plot, and then it ended with Horatio blowing up a truck with his sniper rifle? That one? Terrible episode. That sort of bugs me now because this one was pretty decent.

It picks up with the trial of the female terrorist who was behind the plot to blow up with nuclear power plot at Turkey Point. Her name is Sonya Barak if you recall and her sleazy lawyer was able to get her off on bail much to the dismay of the father of the family she had a hand in kidnapping. Thus led to a good old fashioned cat and mouse chase and a bunch of corny, and hilarious, one-liners from Horatio.

Turns out the terrorist cell that Sonya had worked for seemed to think that she had somehow flipped and was selling them out. Peter Kinkella (he was the father) somehow knew about this and posted her bail himself, in the hopes that her people would take her out. Didn't happen. Horatio was then forced to chase Sonya all over the city to bring in so she would be alive to stand the rest of her trial. She got away in the end and it would appear, as it stands right now, that this will end up being an on-going story line for the rest of the season. There has to be at least one more episode anyway, to wrap her story up. But I could see this stretching to more. Perhaps, as the season goes on, Horatio discovers an even larger terrorist plot?

The other big development in this episode was Wolfe. At first he was very anti-news (thanks to Erica), but he's definitely warmed up to the idea. Now he's even hamming it up for the documentary film crew that follows him around. Unfortunately, his playing to the camera caused him to compromise some blood evidence and the case almost wasn't made. He got a slap on the wrist from Calleigh, but Horatio was too busy to say anything. It'll be interesting to see how H reacts, if he does at all. I don't see him just letting Wolfe slip by that easily.

So that was sort of left out in the open, but it got me thinking. CSI: Miami has a lot of unresolved storylines just hanging out there...

• Are we ever going to get some resolution to that outstanding warrant Horatio has in NY? Last we heard about it was during the CSI: NY cross-over episodes last season.
  • The NY thing had ties to Walter Resden and Jennifer Wilson too. Remember him? Creepy guy, killed Jennifer's parents? Some follow-up on that would be nice too. He's in jail now if I recall correctly.
  • What about Nick asking Valera on a date? Did they just forget about that?
  • Or Calleigh's relationship with Jake?

I think this is why I stick with this show. Despite how cheesy it is and how everyone complains about it, this is still one of the most commented on shows I write about for TV Squad. It may be corny but it keeps us involved because there's still so many unanswered plots. And Horatio's tilted head... guy has terrible posture.

JAMIE

I AM FULL OF TEARS OVER HERE,,,FIRST SPEED NOW ERIC...WHATS GOIN ON? WHY KILL OFF THE MOST ATTRACTIVE MEMBERS OF THE TEAM? U CANT JUST KILL ERIC, THATS A WAY TO KILL VIEWERS, YOU HAVE ALREADY SENT THE MAN SISTER TO THE GRAVE, IF U ASK ME THATS F#C*K^D UP...

A CSI MIAMI FANATIC

February 05 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karmela

I love Ryan Wolfe (Jonathan Togo)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20 2007 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristi

I love your show i want to be just like you guys i am trying to be just like you i love the way you work is it true that all the bad things could happen like gitting killed on the job.

~♥Kristi♥~

January 17 2007 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine Teeters

I absolutely adore CSI:Miami. I didn't like David Caruso in NYPD Blue at all, he was to full of himself, I think he was under the FALSE impression that he could do wrong and that he was indispensible. I like everybody on the show, but Horatio is my favorite, he appears to really care about his "CSI family" as well as the people (victims)that he helps every episode. I watch the show as many times as I can every day (it is on different networks where I live. Love the show!!

January 05 2007 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sergio Daniel C. Fritz

Dear friends:
Which brand are the Horatio Caine sunglasses?
Best Regards.
Sergio Daniel.-

December 22 2006 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

CSI:Miami sucks period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 19 2006 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carrolyn Cloutier

I think the reason why they have so many unresolved episodes is because they keep the show going. These storylines will eventually get their justice. Patience is a virtue.

December 14 2006 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geoffrey

This was one those fair episodes I liked and probably the best one so far. It less sunglasses Horatio, Caleigh playing more leadership role, less Boa Vista, more Valera, less Eric, and more of Wolfe messing up. It's brillant, fair & balanced episode for all the characters.

December 14 2006 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Erst

Russell Tanninger was played by Peter MacKenzie. He's done a lot of guest spots on TV (including CSI:Vegas), and character roles in a bunch of forgettable movies.

December 14 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
travis

what is the real name of the lawyer who got shot? i know him from somethin and its killing me!!

December 14 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply