October 21, 2014

Day Break: What If They Find Him?

by Jen Creer, posted Dec 13th 2006 11:31PM
Jennifer on Day Break(S01E06) Unlike 24, which is another fine, fast-paced, thrilling drama, Day Break has a good sense of humor. I am still laughing about seeing Damien, Hopper, and Damien's driver in the Skinheads' van listening to Journey Asia's "Heat of the Moment" (Thanks to Chris for the correction!). As if that wasn't good enough, it was great when they threw the CD out the window at Hopper after kicking him out.

I love how the show is editing sequences now, so that instead of seeing every detail, we see what is relevant. On the other hand, if we miss something (my husband ran out to get our son from swim practice) they will show you enough of what has happened that you can pick it up again pretty easily.

And of course, it all comes down to the murder book. Remember last week when I said that I wished I could have seen the look on Chad's face when he discovered it was gone? Well, I had no idea that it was going to change so many things. Do you think he will stop taking it now? He doesn't even really need to go see Damien anymore. He knows who Isabella is, and now he knows who Detweiler is and where he lives.

I loved Detweiler's wife Margaret, and her polygamist-wife, Holly Hobby dress and hairstyle, holding the shotgun on Hopper. That was hilarious. Don't mess with Margaret. Do you think Timmy really has a birthday party, or do you think that was some kind of code? Detweiler has this Godfather-like attachment to his family, so maybe there really was a birthday party. Maybe it was being held with Damein's niece. It was great and funny to see the different tactics Hopper took with Detweiler each day.

So, when Hopper tells Jennifer that she needs to go home, do you think she actually listened to him? Or did the bad guys intercept her before she could get to Chad to kill him? Of course, they tell her that they are making an example of Detweiler (oh, nice pun: This is how we bury our problems. That was a nicely Witness moment, don't you think?), and she says that she understands. Is she being told that she screwed up because she didn't do as she was told? Of course, we still don't know how or why she is involved. But since the whole case with Isabella's murder seems to have roots in Hopper's family, I guess it's not a complete surprise that she is both involved, and that she has the capacity to commit murder.

Detweiler has always seemed to know something about the fact that Hopper is re-living each day. He told the bad guy who was hidden in shadow that he did not understand what Hopper meant by "Make it stop." But right before they dump all the sand on him, he says, "Just remember, next time it could be you." What does that mean? Is that general? Or is that specific to this exact situation? Detweiler certainly doesn't seem to know that he is going to wake up again the next day. But I can't help think that he knows something about what is going on, day after day relentlessly.

I was struck not only by my persistent feelings from last week that Chad is not completely evil and also Rita's grief at his death: She said, "He was a decent man." I bet that is foreshadowing. I don't think Chad is going to be the bad guy he started out to be.

Stephen Kuzara

AS much as I like Lost I will wait and pick it up at a yard sale for a buck unless ABC figures out how to let us in on the rest of Daybreak. Showing such a completly different type of programing from what we all rushed home to see on Wed was guarnteed channel surfing to the competition.

December 29 2006 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arnold

ABC pulled the plug on the show. What a disappointment. Came home early just to watch the show and found out they were showing "George Lopez", what the HELL? I'm hooked to this show and want to watch it to the end. Is there something we can do? It upsets me when I don't get to see the ending. I'll even buy the dvd if it is released.

December 21 2006 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Promo

ABC just cancelled Day Break. RATS!

Hopefully they will air on the web...and live on via DVD.

December 15 2006 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Wasn't it Hopper's sister?

December 15 2006 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creed

One Question here - the person who shot Chad... we don't see them the first time, but I looked away and missed who it was when they showed it. Is it someone we've already seen?

Thanks...

December 15 2006 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

well somethings do change day to day because why else would Hoppers partner put her boyfriend in rehab. She had a sense that things just didn't change, every day is the same and woke up one morning wanting to change. So I think the more Hopper interacts with some people, it does cause a ripple effect that carries over. Maybe the days that Chad took care of Rita while Hopper was gone have made Rita grieve a bit more than should would have because she knows he still cares for her. I do agree that I think Chad is being used for his hatred of Hopper by someone. Chad just thinks he's investigating something Hopper has done wrong on the job or something like that, I don't think he is in with the shadow figure. I think he's being played.

I love this show and couldn't wait to see the review here. Other than my husband, I don't know anyone else who watches this so this site is my outlet. I thought last night's episode was great. I like how we go through many days (I hate how they number them though.... day 1 at the beginning of each episode) in one episode.

Can I just say one more time... Taye Diggs is so cute. That smile is killer. :)

December 14 2006 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Underseen

The dialog is intentional, written in such a way that it makes multiple individuals seem like they know more about what is going on than they really do.

The question I have is why Damein hasnt tried killing Hopper these past few jumps, seems a bit too much of a change, did something happen after the birthday party that put him over the edge? Isnt the birthday party in the afternoon? in that case shouldnt they already have the lawyer dude and still looking for hopper? the goon at the door didnt seem to even flinch when he saw hopper.

December 14 2006 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

Thought the episode title was "What if they FOUND him", not lost.

I doubt Detweiler is repeating the day. It just sounds like he meant the next time a mistake happens, the guy who shot him could be blamed. The only other person that MIGHT be repeating is the crazy drunk guy in prison. He's probably got some philosophical blathering to dish out to help out Hopper.

I also doubt he'll be stealing the book again. He knows he'll be risking additional deaths if he does.

December 14 2006 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Injuries carrying over to the next day only applies to Hopper. Rita, Hopper's partner Battle and Chad have all died and have come back to life once Hopper relives the day. My point is that everyone comes back, regardless of being good or bad.

I don't know what role Hopper's sister has in this, but, Mr Shadow probably thinks it was Hopper's sister who was the leak and that's why he had her there to witness the execution.

December 14 2006 at 5:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Menachem

I think Detweiler was just referring to the fact that Detweiler's bosses decided that he had to die and had one of his coworkers (underlings?) do the killing. He was just saying that one day it could be the shooter (I'm not sure if we ever caught his name) who would get terminated by the bosses.

December 14 2006 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply