October 23, 2014

NCIS: Driven

by Brett Love, posted Dec 13th 2006 7:30AM
Pauley Perrette(S04E11) There are a few ways that a show gets put on the list to be covered here. Having a truckload of "buzz" never hurts. A ratings juggernaut is hard to ignore. Being a favorite of one of the writers helps. And, as is the case here, the readers asking for it is always good. Over the past few weeks I've noticed the question of why we don't cover NCIS keeps coming up, so I talked to the powers that be, and moving forward I'll be following the show here every week. That said, on with the show.

I'll go ahead and start out with my one complaint with the episode. The robotic Hummer was a little too good. There is a lot of exciting research going on with unmanned vehicles, but I thought this one was a little over the top. We didn't really need to see that amazing demo to kick things off to get it. One small nitpick in an otherwise terrific episode though.

Things got off to a great start with the sexual harassment seminar. It reminded me of a similar story recently on Las Vegas. Ziva licking Tony and Tony smacking the back of McGee's head were funny, but the topper was the woman's reaction to Palmer, "Why are you touching dead naked people?" It was nice how they incorporated the red and yellow light situations into the rest of the episode as well.

While I did have the small issue with the abilities of the Hummer, I loved it as the basis of this week's case. My favorite parts of the investigations are usually when McGee and Abby go all high tech. "...the only trace left would be an extra space on one of the motherboards bios chips." That, and when Gibbs is so decidedly backwards about all things tech. "Figured it'd be something like that." I fingered Egler right away as the culprit, and thought Jones was a red herring. I was caught completely by surprise when Gibbs pulled the memory card trick on the director of the project. Well done by the writers. Being fooled is always the best.

McGee's reaction when he realized that he almost let Abby die was so good. Theirs is an interesting relationship. A relationship that also provided the best moment of the episode. When McGee reminds Abby that she is supposed to ask permission to hug him and she responded, "Never with you Tim." Awwwwwwwwww. They are just so cute.

Apart from the story of the week, the ongoing story of Tony's relationship with Jeanne has been great. While the "solve it all each week" formula for procedurals seems to work well for getting ratings, they can get repetitive. This continuing arc adds a lot to the value of watching each week. Aside from the added value for viewers, it's really good development of the Tony character. He's growing up, making changes to improve his situation. He even got jealous. I loved the scene a few episodes ago when he explained to Jeanne why he was taking the relationship so slow. Paraphrasing here, but it was something like, "If you keep doing the same thing over and over, you're going to keep getting the same result." And it doesn't hurt one bit that Scottie Thompson just might be the most beautiful woman on my television right now. The addition of Ziva's growing attraction to, and misguided concern for, Tony just makes it that much better.

Overall, another really good episode. I'm thrilled that NCIS is having such a good year in the ratings, even if it is putting the boots to Friday Night Lights in the process. Hopefully they can start to get a little more media coverage as well. We'll do our part. Finally, since Tony always gets the best lines, I'll close each episode post with my favorite Tony lines each week.

"Looks like she did a Trading Spaces with John Nash. "

"I'm pregnant. McGee's gonna be very proud."

"English as a third language is always the trickiest one."

Stephanie Lynam

I really like NCIS, and all the characters. But I recently saw something about Michael Weatherly dying. Is this true or is it part of one of the scripts?

December 27 2006 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

David, this is a good point too. I'm not really a big fan of her and Tony's relationship anyway, so I kind of hope she dies. (Is that mean?)

Did anyone else think it was stupid that Tony was singing about everything he saw thos guys doing? That seems like a pretty stupid thing to do considering he's undercover. Yeah, it's TV, but still... wouldn't that be a way of attracting unwanted attention?

December 14 2006 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Hey Cat
I think Tony was made by the bad guys and Jeanne will be a target at some point. Thats how the rest of the group is going to find out about her.

December 14 2006 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

Re: #14,

1. I don't think the whole Tony/Ziva thing has been cleared up (or I definitely missed something!). The Mossad guy asked Ziva if she was sleeping with Tony when he showed her those pictures and she was pretty evasive, but nothing has been resolved on that front yet. I'm kind of hoping there is some other reason for why they were spending so much time together (perhaps had something to do with Gibbs leaving?) other than they were sleeping together.

I guess with the whole Ziva/Tony thing... I don't think I want them to have some sort of physical relationship. It's hard for me to see them together. But, at the beginning of the season Tony seemed jealous (or something) when Ziva was undercover on the speed dates (in Singled Out) and it looks like they're playing up her concern with all Tony's 'hospital' trips, so who knows.

I predict the she follows him, realizes he's not dying, tells the team, Gibbs gets pissed and they all work on the case together. We'll see, tho.

2. I'm pretty convinced that Jeanne is part of Tony's undercover assignment. He may have some deeper feelings for her, but after basically asking Jenny if it was all right to sleep with her, not telling her what he does, having two cell phones and being 'let go' to spend time with her-- it has to be related. I can't believe this is just a serious relationship and not part of an assignment. I have a feeling that she is related (like, a daughter or something) to one of the guys Tony is watching.

December 14 2006 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

Yay! Thanks for covering a great show!

I agree Dorv - it just seems like there is something more going on there. That maybe she is an assignment of some kind - but also that he does really care for her. Might make things a little complex for Tony later in the season...He doesn't seem to have told her what he does for a living. Seems like a red flag to me.

December 14 2006 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

So, two questions (now that my favorite site is covering one of my favorite shows again):

- In Shalom, didn't the Mossad agents show Ziva pictures of her and Tony together? Did anything ever come of that?

- Does anyone think that Jeanne might somehow be part of Tony's mystery assignment, and not a legitimate love interest?

December 14 2006 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

YAY! This is one my favorite shows, thank you for finally covering it! This episode was great. I laughed myself silly during the whole harassment seminar, especially Ziva licking Tony's neck. (anything that random has to be funny).

My one complaint: While I am all for romance on crime shows - indeed, I'm disappointed when there isn't ANY - I'm not fond of bedroom scenes like that. Not having to watch scenes like that on a regular basis is the biggest reason I prefer crime shows over anything else.

December 13 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Thanks to Brett and TVSquad for deciding to cover this show.

December 13 2006 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Unfortunately, Abby & McGee's relationship isn't really developing anymore, except as friends who used to have privileges. They were together but they aren't anymore - or as Abby put it, she isn't sexually harassing him anymore. Still he has slept with her - in her coffin no less - and described her apartment almost exactly in his novel.

December 13 2006 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bitgod

Now after I just griped about the long cop thread in House, I have to say I'm annoyed with the Tony's girlfriend plot, because it all just feels like a setup for her to get killed by those guys that Tony has been watching.

December 13 2006 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply