August 27, 2014

Nip/Tuck: Gala Gallardo (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 13th 2006 6:08AM
Gala Gallardo(S04E15) Not bad at all. No bells. No whistles. One semi-unexpected moment, but overall -- a very satisfying finale. The way it was structured, if you think about it, this actually could have served as the series finale if it needed to be. We had the look into the future a few weeks ago and this episode essentially closed the book on the Miami era of McNamara/Troy. It could have ended there, but thankfully, Ryan Murphy and Co. have decided to tell another chapter from the west coast.

This was a season that made it a point to wrap up lingering stories. The official end of Sean and Julia, the death of Mrs. Grubman, the return and reconciliation of Bobolit, and the redemption of Matt were all issues that were addressed and resolved this season. Now as I said, this episode easily could have served as the series finale especially because it wrapped up the biggest storyline yet: Escobar Gallardo.

Escobar GallardoHe's been a thorn in the side of the McNamara/Troy practice since the pilot episode. His death comes as no surprise. The fact that his wife shot him was a bit of a shock though. I had a feeling it was coming since Escobar treated Gala like complete crap and once Liz pulled out a gun (anyone else see Escobar's eyes tear up?) in the recovery room, it wasn't a question of when he would be shot but rather who would pull the trigger.

What I loved about this episode was how it continually referred to the first season. The fact that Antonia Ramos was semi-responsible for Gala's beating to the smart (and hilarious) choice to dispose of Escobar's body the same way Sean and Christian had done with Silvio a number of years ago. Some spiral hams. Some twine. And some gators.

As we wait now for season five (next fall... please?), new questions have emerged. Will Matt and Kimber weather the storm of their loveless marriage? What about the future of McNamara/Troy in LA? They may have been number one in Miami but now they're just a dime-a-dozen. I will say that I was surprised Christian left Michelle. But at the same time, I like how his character has grown. He knew he couldn't trust her and she bought him out because telling the truth just wasn't in her power. I think he knew she was involved with the organ thievery, that it was more than just knowing what James did. He would have been fine with it but Christian needed to hear it from Michelle's mouth.

Sean and ChristianHow cool was that final montage set to The Submarines, "Brighter Discontent?" The choice to have every character lip-synching along was very cool, but not having Julia around for even one line seemed a little out of place. The final shot in front of the Hollywood sign was a little cheesy, but obligatory considering the circumstances. I'm looking forward to what comes next. It'll be great to see what new stories can develop along with the change of scenery. Whatever it is, you know it'll be good. I say that knowing full well that it will be. This show has earned that confidence.

korey

Iwant to take you dr.sareyscttoy I in love
with you anda we willhave sex on beb anda you bout nagsct on beb do sexon beb anda can
you want me anda I want you we willget back
getr like boy friends anda girl friends anda be
cute copball anda next year Igo to vraeli ana
nexit yaer I be 15 anda you come to my
praty to sing happy bartthday for me anda you

February 24 2007 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAX-i

Great show. it wipes the flor with all those lame hospital series... CHRISTIAN TROY ROCKS! finaly he dumped that psycho Michelle

February 02 2007 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chrisy

What did Matt realize about Kimber?

I missed the season finale!

January 12 2007 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcia tutt

I am currently deployed in Iraq since NOV 06. I saw maybe 8 episodes of season 4 of Niptuck. I own the first 3 seasons on DVD, and would like to know if anyone has any idea as to when the 4th season will be released on DVD. There are a few soldiers here who are Niptuck fans who really want to see season 4.

Thanks,

Marcia

January 07 2007 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard

what was the song in the 4th season finale? lyrics included "make me happy" sung by entire cast near the end.

January 02 2007 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
muldrake

I actually liked the lip-synching and the Hollywood sign. Didn't Michelle just leave Christian? Isn't that the note she was writing?

I'm glad they dumped Christian's fiance and now what are they going to do with Wilbur? I didn't like Christian as the 'family man'.

I also think Kimber and Matt should split. I like Kimber and Christian together.

Who would be a good match for Sean now that Julia is gone? I would like to see Michelle Pfeiffer play that part.

December 29 2006 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smikwily

Loved it all. Every stinking, ham-strapped, lip-syncing, sage-burning minute.

The lip syncing was a bit drawn out, but it pulled everything together by showing how drawn apart they were. The Escobar shooting wasn't much of a surprise, but I was sure the Christian in LA thing was another of Sean's snaps with reality.

The Shield promo, along with the teasers for The Riches made it even better. I've tired of The Dirt previews as well, but any FX vet will know they pummel you with commercials for the new shows coming up. A little overkill as usual, but that's what we have a DVR ;)

December 19 2006 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
opal johnson

Christian & Michelle were the hottest couple on television this season. I can't believe the writers are breaking them apart. The season finale was a toatl letdown!!!

December 19 2006 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Singing way to long and very out of context. Just didn't seem to blend with the series. Was a great song though.

Is series coming back for sure?

December 16 2006 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mimi

I loved Gala! I can't wait for her return, which I am sure is inevitable. The actress who played her is Idalis. She used to be a VJ on MTV 10 or more years ago. Anybody remember her but me?

December 15 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply