August 29, 2014

On the 5th day of Festivus, TV gave to me

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 13th 2006 8:02AM

The Nine

...fiiiiiiiiiiiive canceled shooooooooows!

1. The Nine (ABC): Yeah, the network can say it's "on hiatus" and that "the remaining episodes will be shown in 2007," but we all know what it means. And the reason I picked this as #1 is because this show had more buzz and positive reviews than any other show before the season started. I think more critics picked it as a the "best" than any other show. Then the show kept losing viewers, even though it was on after Lost, so ABC pulled it from the schedule. That's really unfortunate. It was a good show, though I think that after the pilot viewers were expecting a different type of show than the straight drama with a twist that we got. Hopefully Tim Daly will have better luck with his new show next year.

2. Kidnapped (NBC): This was a well-done show too, though I think it had "long miniseries" written all over it. And that wouldn't have been a bad thing, but NBC thought it had "let's cancel this quickly" written all over it. They took it off Wednesdays and dumped it on the Saturday graveyard, but even that wasn't enough humiliation, so they put it on the web. Actually, maybe going to the web was better than being on Saturdays.

3. The O.J. Special (FOX): Admit it: you don't like the man, you might even dislike the network, and you certainly hated the idea of this promotional interview for his book that would have explain how he killed Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman "if he had done it," but you know you would have watched anyway. But we didn't get the chance. FOX pulled the plug and then the plug was also pulled on the book. Oh well. Now we'll never know what happened that night.

4. Smith (CBS): This was one of the "what the hell happened" moments of the fall. After an expensive, much-hyped, and stylish pilot episode, the series got boring, with unlikable characters and too many subplots that went nowhere. And yet another example of a continuing story type of show that a network got rid of quickly. Check the web site!

5. Six Degrees (ABC): Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...oh, I'm sorry, dozed off there for a second. I had high hopes for this show - lots of interesting characters interacting in New York City, produced by J.J. Abrams - but it was quite boring, and all the interactions between the characters were the same as you see on any other show. Nothing really "six degrees" about it.

Twelve Killed-Off Characters
Eleven Adult Swim Moments
Ten Lost Mysteries in Need A-Solving
Nine Colbert Moments
Eight Characters Quoted
Seven Sites Worth Linking

Dave

I personally loved '6 degrees' and was/am disappointed it has been taken off. I know several other people who actually liked it too. Out of all the shows mentioned here, this one had the best characters and actors. Someone said it wasn't "about anything", but how will we know since it was yanked so quickly? I saw that it was going somewhere. The problem is our 'fast food' mentatlity in America. If we don't see what we want immediately we lose interest, and that's sad. I say to ABC...give '6 degrees' another chance. Friday or Saturday timeslots just might bring an audience since there isn't anyting good on at the moment.

January 29 2007 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DANNY MORRIS

I LIKE THE CHARACTERS IN STUDIO 60 AND WILL
CONTINUE TO WATCH THIS SHOW. I ALSO LIKED
THE CHARACTERS IN NINE AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT RETURN. PLOTS CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE AND EVEN NEW CHARACTERS ADDED TO SHOW.

January 08 2007 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

Both The Nine and Six Degrees rocked next to Studio 60 which is still surprisingly and boringly on the air. If you want to watch extraordinary television, then watch DEXTER on Showtime On Demand. Next to a disgrace and a true villian like O.J., DEXTER is a hero.

December 18 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Why do people get so angry about Studio 60 still being on the air? If you don't like it, don't watch it. Easy enough.

Most of these shows had "tank" written all over them from the get go. The Nine was the most promising to me, and they lost me after 2 episodes, due to some rather ridiculous plot turns.

December 18 2006 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

'smith' was the second-best show of the year (after dexter).

December 13 2006 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I definitely would not have watched the OJ interview.

December 13 2006 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myron

I got burned on Kidnapped, Smith and The Nine. Fool me once. Next year I won't be watching any new shows.

December 13 2006 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

"I know one of the characters died in the pilot, but I find it very amusing that the promotional group shot for "The Nine" has ten people in it...Posted at 8:47AM on Dec 13th 2006 by Jonathan Toomey"

"The Nine" dealt with the hostages in the bank during an attempted robbery. There were nine of them. The person on the far right of the picture is one of the robbers.

I too really enjoyed this short-lived show. I was pissed when I heard it had been cancelled.

December 13 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

I think that more & more people are refusing to commit to serialized shows unless they get some sort of assurance that the serial will be resolved.

I really think that is the central reason 24 is so successful. You can buy in, knowing that 90% of the story will get resolved by the end of the year.

I know I'm very conscious about serialized shows now because I hate being left hanging and not getting resolution. I won't start a series of books unless the final chapter is in print and I'm watching fewer serialized shows live (preferring to wait until they come out on DVD).

The Nine is one of the few shows I did start watching this season but after it gets canceled I'll have another point of reference on why I shouldn't even give these shows a chance.

December 13 2006 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edd

Ok, it's old news, but token nod to Arrested Development, which in a civilised world would be sliiiiightly more popular than Dancing with Wa**ers, or whatever it is Fox makes apart from 24.

December 13 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply