October 21, 2014

Peter Boyle dies at 71 -- BREAKING NEWS

by Richard Keller, posted Dec 13th 2006 12:27PM

Peter Boyle dies at 71Sad news to report on an actor who graced our television screens for many years. Peter Boyle, who played Frank Barone on the CBS comedy Everybody Loves Raymond, died last night at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He was 71-years-old. According to his publicist Boyle was suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease.

For many people he was known as the grumpy, obnoxious father of Ray Barone on Everybody Love Raymond. However, before that role he had a successful movie career starring in such films as Taxi Driver and The Candidate. His biggest role came in 1974 when he portrayed Frankenstein in Mel Brooks' comedy Young Frankenstein. The actors last appearance was as Father Time in Santa Claus 3.

Emily

He will be missed. I could tell by looking at him that he was battling something terminal. The tell-tale gauntness was becoming very apparent.

My favorite role of his was Frankenstein's monster, as well.

December 14 2006 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

SJ: Peter Boyle did win an Emmy, for guest starring on The X-Files. Well deserved; it's my favorite episode

December 13 2006 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maye

"Holy Crap!" Peter will be missed. He was a brilliant actor and comic. Maye

December 13 2006 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I hated Raymond, he's a bitch both on and off the show, but the dad was always great. Him and Raymond's mom on the show were the reasons I watch some episodes. Truely sad news.

December 13 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I first saw him star in the 1970 film "Joe" as an armed, right wing bigot. He was so good in that role he was afraid of being typecast and later turned down "The French Connection" which made Gene Hackman a big star.

Pete was a great actor and from the Philly area. His dad was a local TV celebrity too

December 13 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

This really sucks.

One thing though; Peter Boyle didn't play Frankenstein. Gene Wilder played Frankenstein, Peter Boyle played Frankenstein's monster.

December 13 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I personally thought he was the best part of ELR.

I also remember seeing him in Taxi Driver. Too bad he never got an Emmy.

R.I.P

December 13 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chucklehead

aw, crap! :(

December 13 2006 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy Gongora

Words can't express how sad I am in hearing the news of Mr.Peter Boyle's passing. Just last night I was wondering how he was doing and if I would see him again in another sitcom. Thank you Mr.Boyle for all the good times that you shared with us. Now it's time to make the good Lord laugh live and in person. We'll miss you a great deal my friend. My love and respect to your family. God bless you all.

December 13 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply