November 23, 2014

The OC: The Chrismukk-huh?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 15th 2006 8:33AM

Ryan and Taylor argue as they decorate for Chrismukkah.(S04E07) This was an interesting episode. It's not that I didn't like it, but I just found it a little disappointing. I say that because this episode didn't really do anything to advance the plot of our season. A season, I should remind you, that will only have 16 episodes and may very well be The OC's last. With that in mind, I guess I just expected Josh Schwartz and Co. to give us 16 jam-packed episodes. Up until now they had. This one was fun, it was gimmicky. But it didn't do it for me.

Centering around Ryan and Taylor, the two of them had been fighting about Taylor's "girlfriend status" and whether or not Ryan would be inviting her to Chrismukkah dinner. They were decorating the Cohen's house and in the heat their argument, Taylor tumbled off the ladder and Ryan fell off the roof trying to stop her. Now they're both in comas and when they wake up, nothing is as it seems.

So it's quickly determined that the two of them were in some alternate reality. Hence the title of the episode, which I butchered when I spoke with Autumn Reeser recently. Anyone else find it weird that they were essentially sharing the same dream? However since it was all a dream, everything that happened didn't really happen. It should be noted, that before falling off the roof, Ryan received a letter in the mail from Marissa. It was old and must have been lost in the postal system. It was her final words to him about how she loved him but that he had to move on because she had plans to leave Newport. That sort of became the theme for the alternate reality: fix what was wrong so that Ryan could officially get over Marissa and make room to let Taylor into his life.

Now this is where the gimmicky part came in. In the alternate Newport, Ryan and Taylor never existed. Well... Taylor did, but she was a boy? Did that make sense to anyone? Regardless, everything was the exact opposite of what it should have been which made it predictable. Kirsten married Jimmy (Tate Donovan!), Sandy married Julie, Summer was a complete ditz and was engaged to Che who was no longer an activist, Johnny was still alive, and Seth was a huge geek who everyone ignored. The list goes on but the big one? Marissa was still dead only this time she had passed away three years ago in Tijuana when she OD'ed. But again, none of these alternate reality revelations made me jump out of my seat in shock. Everything elicited more of an "oh, that's cute" reaction.

So overall, just so-so. For a season that in my opinion has so far been the best since the first, this was probably the worst of the four Chrismukkah episodes which is too bad. I remember reading somewhere that Josh Schwartz felt like he had a lot more creative freedom with this season because they know they aren't going to beat Grey's Anatomy and they know that this may be the last hurrah. Well kudos to the writing team for being creative. They outdid themselves there, but unfortunately, it fell flat for me.

Best quote?

Taylor (trying to convince Ryan that his coming to Newport did make a difference): "You saved the Cohens! Without you, Seth is the next Unabomber, Sandy is married to Slutty McSlutterman, and Kirsten probably hasn't had an orgasm in like a year!"

Rob

I agree with the reviewer, this season has definitely been the best since the first! However, this episode, Chrismukk-huh, is completely mental. How can they be in a coma together? All storylines have been semi-realistic but this one is mad.

December 22 2006 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crambam

Didn't Ryan and Marissa get into Berkley together? And weren't they both going? Not sure I get the whole "I have to leave you" thing.

December 16 2006 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johns

I agree with what you said. The episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I expected. The 'comic' scenes were not funny and this getting over Marissa thing didn't work either. It would have made sense if they still missed her, but I don't think they do. At least they don't show that.

Everything that happened was too obvious, and, as in all the other episodes, the best thing was Taylor. Autumn Reeser is doing a great job, but I don't see a connection between her and Ryan. When she told him "come back to me", it didn't feel real.

I think Adam and Rachel need more participation. I hope the episodes will get better.

December 16 2006 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Toomey

Omar -

Johnny being alive isn't a stretch. There was one scene in the mall. Ryan walked by a big poster and it said something along the lines of "Come meet Johnny Harper this weekend while he promotes his new surf line."

So it seems he was alive and went on to have a prosperous surf career...

December 15 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

where did you hear that johnny was still alive? i mean, he probably was because marisa didnt ruin his life but still, thats a stretch considering he had no explicit or implicit connection to the oc world before marisa changed schools. he could have died surfing for all we know.

this episode played out exactly like i thought it would. it ruined the streak of great episodes but wasn't terrible. i hope this show can somehow stay alive, if only for another season or even another 6-7 episodes at the end of this season.

do the previews for the next episode basically prove that this show will be canceled? they are tackling plot points in leaps and bounds and it looks like one could be the final episode (if it doesnt extend).

December 15 2006 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geoffrey

I thought it was a great episode....thing was it wasn't even Christmakah episode......the holiday nevered existed....its was a normal stereo-typed Newport Christmas. Its sad to say that last two episodes could've been way end the season. Sadly the show is nothing without Ryan. If Ryan leaves the OC for good the show is practically over. But If theres going to be a 5th season, its going to be on FX.

December 15 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikedt

I am an avid watcher of The OC. I enjoy the whole season thus far and I thought I would enjoy the whole Taylor-Ryan thing, but after watching last night episode, I can't see the whole Taylor-Ryan thing happen. It made me kind of miss Marissa, even though I don't like her character very much.

December 15 2006 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruno

Well, definitely this was a really good episode. I enjoyed every moment.
This season is amazing. I really hope they can recover some of the fanbase and go on with the show.

December 15 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Philip

this review needs to get revised. it was awesome!!!! the best chrismukkah yet!

December 15 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Oh, and what about that quote from Taylor before the climbing-the-ladder-with-the-gift-scene about Ryan being too "muscle -bound" and "close-mouthed," or something to that effect .

December 15 2006 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply