October 25, 2014

Day Break: What If Nobody Watched?

by Brett Love, posted Dec 16th 2006 10:02AM
Taye DiggsSadly, that's the case over at ABC. Try as they might, and for reasons I don't quite get, people just don't want to watch this show. I've posted about the slide in the ratings before, and it continued this week. After garnering their lowest 18-49 numbers yet, ABC has pulled the show, with plans for the remaining episodes to be shown on ABC.com. Or, on DVD for those of you that are going to be screwed by that whole geography thing. To add insult to injury, the Wednesday schedule will be filled with repeats of George Lopez and According to Jim until the new schedule starts in January.

I think this has to signal a change at the networks. The big serial drama experiment is now officially a failure. With Surface and Invasion failing to get a second season, and now Smith, Kidnapped, The Nine, Six Degrees, and Day Break all failing to finish one, I think we can look for the networks to try something different next season. And hey, if Diggs really wants to be on a hit show, they're still casting for the next Dancing with the Stars, right?... Too soon?

Dan

All I can say is I'm deeply disappointed in both ABC and the watching public. Surely there must be plenty of intelligent people around who would like to see something other than "reality" shows and episodes of various CSIs that are shown relentlessly every night.

Day Break was one of the best television shows I've seen in a long time, and I looked forward every week to the next episode. Please give us the rest of the series!!!!

ABC will ultimately pay for such short-sighted decisions by losing their viewing audience to other networks, and maybe then they'll realize what stupid mistakes they've made.

January 03 2007 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Count me in as one of the disappointed viewers. For ABC to yet again begin a show that has a distinct start and finish much like a feature film is unfair to those who have invested time and interest in the show. Is there really a benefit to showing According to Jim and George Lopez over these shows? ABC prefers to upset the loyal viewers? What about the efforts of all involved in the show? I was burned by the cancellation of NightStalker; others have been burned as well. ABC needs to re-evaluate why they pull a show. Is there really that big of a difference between Heroes and a show like Daybreak? I don't think so. Allow people who are pulled in (loyal viewers) at least the courtesy of finishing what was started. Post the episodes on your web site for peat sake.

December 27 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daybreak Was Awesome

I think ABC has done a real injustice to its viewers by cancelling this show. I agree that the ratings system is flawed due to the integration of the DVR. It won't be until people "revolt" in a forum such as this that aBC realizes that the numbers they see may not reflect reality.

At the same time, ABC has the ability to, at no cost to them, add the remaining episodes to their web site for the viewing pleasure of the loyal followers. Still, to this date, they have not removed Day Break from their Primetime lineup, so there is still hope. I'd hate to have to spend $40 on a DVD box set just cause some exec at ABC can't stand a night without 2 straight hours of George Lopez.

December 27 2006 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Kahn

One of the things that the networks don't understand about the serialized dramas is how to build the audience. If I watch the first episode and tell my friends about how great it is, they can't see it to join in the fun unless they go online. Often, they only have a few days to do so. And suppose someone wants to join in after half a dozen? The networks should use their strategies of multiple showings, maybe using their cable affiliates, combined with making the episodes available for free downloads for a while. Then, when the buzz builds, they can revert to their greedy selves.

December 25 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Drake

Daybreak, thank God for DVD--I hope they had finished this masterpiece. The show just sailed along, fun to watch and a high point that did not need "Lost" clips to bolster it. I did not watch "Lost" cause who in the hell knew what is going on --were they in purgatory or were the writers of this waiting for daybreak. Honest, what a loss or lost --mess, Paul Drake

December 23 2006 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ela

To voice your complaints about ABC's cancellation of the series "Day Break" go to http://abc.go.com/site/contactus.html

ABC has got to get the message that by demonstrating a lack of concern for viewer satisfaction, and basing decisions on flawed ratings systems, viewers will stop tuning into ABC and sponsors will stop paying for air time.

Another effective angle to stop networks from cancelling your favorite program is for you to contact sponsors directly (via sponsor web-sites) to voice your approval and support for your favorite show. All you need to do is jot down the names of the companies that run a advertisements during your favorite show, such as "Allstate Insurance" for example, and contact them directly in writting or by email.

Positive change can only take place by means of effective communication, and keep in mind, the customer (viewer) is always right! Sponsors pay networks to air programs that attract viewers or potential customers.

December 22 2006 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcel

I'm seriously considering not starting watching any series anymore. I have always catched up by renting DVDs, but this season I decided I wanted to follow as they were aired. So I started following Lost Season 3, The Nine, Six Degrees, Heroes and Day Break. They cancelled three of them and the other two are on a hiatus. Come on!!! What are you thinking??? Please show some respect and at least finish what you started.

December 21 2006 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caps

Found this about Day Break: Viewers will be able to follow "Day Break" online at ABC.com, at least for now. Thirteen episodes of the show were produced but an ABC spokeswoman wasn't sure if all remaining episodes would be available at the web site.
Sounds like they will post more shows on the web for us and then mess with us AGAIN by not showing them all!

December 21 2006 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

I have never watched Lost and really enjoyed Day Break. Who are they basing these ratings on?

December 21 2006 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessi

We could not be more disappointed! The only two shows we watch on t.v. on a regular basis have been Lost and Greys anatomy, until Daybreak came on. We loved this show and always looked forward to it. With all the lameness on t.v. Im about ready to shut mine off.

December 21 2006 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply