October 24, 2014

Sleeper Cell: School

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 16th 2006 11:29AM

Michael Ealy as Darwyn and Said Taghmaoui as Karrar in 'Sleeper Cell.'

(S02E06) One of the things I love about this show is how they pick simple one word titles (the first season did it too) and the given episode stays committed to portraying that title (a theme really) from everyone's perspective. It's a very cool storytelling technique, the way they expand upon everyone but manage to keep it cohesive. Ethan Reiff, Cyrus Voris, and everyone else who has a hand in writing and producing this show deserves a real pat on the back. They've created quite the epic. Entertaining because, well, it is. And scary because... it's real.

First off, we have to talk about Ilija. I said yesterday that his part of the show is the one I've been enjoying most due to it's detachment from everything else. I thought he was going to join forces again with Farik and clearly that wasn't the case. He went home to Sarajevo, began teaching English, started frequenting his favorite karaoke clubs, and even renounced his old life. I really liked how we were witnessing him reform his life. But the twists don't stop. I feel bad saying it, but is it wrong that I got excited when Farik found Ilija and asked for his help?

Regardless, I can't wait to see where this goes next. Will he help Farik or continue on his path? I don't think he's strong enough to say no. When he was in Germany, his guilt over killing Carly was so strong that he instigated a fight with a gang of skinheads hoping they'd kill him. He still has that guilt and going back to Farik's side, perhaps martyring himself? It would make sense.

The situation with Mina and Gayle has gotten really good for obvious reasons. This just tells you what Farik thought of Gayle. He is 100% convinced that Dodger Stadium is still standing because of her. So as Karrar said, "Mina has an assignment of her own." Safe bet? Gayle won't be alive much longer. I hate to say it, but that's what makes the most sense. Who knows what's in Mina's backpack? Torturing devices? A bomb? This is bad for Gayle anyway you look at it. If there is torture involved, it won't take much to break Gayle. Just the threat of pain will probably do it.

The real obstacle is Karrar. It seems that since Farik blames Gayle, he must also assume that Darwyn let something slip to her. So Karrar isn't telling Darwyn squat. Although he did let it slip that Farik said "hi," indicating he's still alive. For the most part, what he does tell Darwyn are lies. Personally, I think this works for the show. As much as I liked Darwyn as the leader of the cell, it's far more compelling when he's backed into a corner and fighting for information. It would be far too easy, and less climactic, if he knew the end game. This way, he's in the dark just like us.

James

Did anyone see the season finale last night? Any thoughts? Does it look like there's going to be a third installment for this show?

December 18 2006 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ivan

Henri Lubatti's Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian (whatever) is excellent! He could even pass for a native speaker faking a foreign accent if it wasn't for a few mistakes (like accentuating the wrong word in a sentence) that make it clear he doesn't understand what he's saying. Kudos to his language trainer(s) nontheless.

Apparently he already played a Serb/Croat/Bosnian on 24, so that could be it.

December 17 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Once a terrorist, always a terrorist? Man I was really angry (but not surprised) when Farik found Ilija. I was happy that he was giving up that part of his life...you knew he was ready to give it up when he smiled at the iman's speech in the mosque about how extremism should be stamped out of Islam.

Can't wait to see what happens to Gayle, and damn Karrar has to be the creepiest guy yet.

December 16 2006 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I love how they show every episode in a row. This should be a new trend could you imagine how much more TV we would get? haha...Theirs a new topic for someone to write an article about.

December 16 2006 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
radwimp

I thought for sure Mina was on a suicide mission... I wonder if the bus-bag-exchange was all it was though. I loved the look she gave when Gayle came out of the bathroom. Sorry to say, but I've never really been a fan of Gayle and this season certainly hasn't helped. Not that I'd rather see her tortured or killed...

Farik once again shows he's a cold bastard with how he acquired his "$10". You're not alone in feeling excited about the reunion with Ilija either. I honestly feel like he was turning the corner, but I don't think he's in a position to refuse Farik, so he'll probably be drawn into the Brotherhood once again.

Setting up Darwyn to be in the dark was a great move, it will definitely be a better conclusion if he has no idea what's going on.

December 16 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply