April 19, 2014

Dexter: Born Free (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 17th 2006 11:31PM

Rudy, The Ice Truck Killer (Christian Camargo) finally gets to Dexter (Michael C. Hall).

(S01E12) What an absolutely spectacular show. It's going to be a shame if Michael C. Hall doesn't get the Golden Globe because he certainly deserves it. It's funny because at the beginning of the season I said I was going to have a hard time picturing him as anything other than part of the Six Feet Under ensemble. Now that season one of Dexter has come and gone, I can't imagine how Hall ever played the role of David Fisher for five seasons because this is the show I associate him with. He owns this role.

The finale picked up right where last week left off, as Rudy (or should I say Brian?) took Deb out to sea, only to throw her into a gas-powered raft and head back inland. But Dexter, not one to sit around, was quick to find Rudy's clues and figure out where his sister was being held. From the lyrics of "Born Free" by Andy Williams to the Barbie at Rudy/Brian's apartment wearing a "Home Sweet Home" apron, everything pushed Dexter towards finding out where he came from. Where he was born.

Initially, this led Dex to the ship yard and the precise container where his mother was butchered. In the only flashback that Harry was in, we saw him pull Dexter from the container, covered in blood. Once Dexter snapped out of his little daydream, Doakes was right in front him. He had followed him to the shipyard. Now the sergeant has been on Dexter all season; he's always suspected him of something. Even at the end of the episode, he followed Dexter as he visited Rita. Best guess seems to be that Doakes' suspicion will play a major part in the next season, as he seems convinced that Dexter had something to do with Deb and Rudy/Brian.

Here's a tiny problem I had with the episode. After Angel wisely found Rudy's records at the county psych ward, the team determined that his real name was Brian Moser (give yourself a pat on the back if you were on the "they're brothers" bandwagon). If they could figure that out so easily, then what was stopping LaGuerta, or anyone, from reading his whole file and realizing that he had a murdered mother and a brother? I know Harry sealed the documents of the Laura Moser's murder, but there still had to be something that listed family relations. I just had trouble with no one making the connection between Dexter and his new found brother. Seems like that should be easy to stumble upon. It actually would have made sense for Lt. Pasquale (who apparently isn't going to be a pain in the ass) to make the connection and not realize it because she's unfamiliar with department personnel. That way it would still be waiting to be discovered sometime next season. Although, I suppose it still could be.

Whatever, moving on. The entire set-up of Paul trying to sway Rita all episode was very well done. It's almost as if she refuses to believe that she may be in a bad relationship again. But between Paul's endless insistence that Dexter set him up, to the visit from Paul's NA sponsor vouching for him, to Rita' discovery of Paul's shoe (after he told her about it), the seed of doubt has been planted. This just sets up a confrontation between Rita and Dexter next season. She's stronger now and I don't think she'll hesitate in bringing it up.

Then, of course, there was the family reunion. Dexter's arrival at his childhood home (now owned by Rudy/Brian) was very cool as he recalled a day when he, his brother, and his mother played hide-and-go-seek in the front yard. Anyone else notice Laura's multi-colored fingernails? That's where it all comes from. Even from the very first kill, Dexter's brother was trying to get him to remember his past.

As I and many others speculated, Brudy (I'm merging the names) really had only two options: kill Dexter or convince him to join forces. Looks like Team Moser was what he always had in mind though. As far making Deb their first victim, it made sense. Brudy was just jealous of the life that Dexter got and killing Deb was the symbol of that life dying. Dexter's decision to set Brudy's death up as a suicide made sense, too. Nothing crazy, just logical. It was all really well written. How great was Dexter's set up to catch him though? "Your work is so good, you even fooled yourself."

Some of the revelations that came up with were really well thought out, too. Dex was so torn up about killing his own flesh and blood, so much so that he admits it was the first time he ever wanted to let someone go. I especially liked Brudy's belief that you can either be a killer or a hero. You can't be both. I beg to differ. I'm a big Dexter Morgan fan, I do appreciate his work, and I can't wait to see what's in store for him in season two.

kimberley

I thought this was one of the best shows i have seen in a very long time and all i want to know is when it is going to be on again. Whwn is the next season?

February 19 2007 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aug

Great f***ing show!

HOWEVER

One thing that bugs my wife and I was Brian/Rudy's apartment. This dude had a restaurant-sized freezer out in the open in his kitchen and Deb [a cop] wasn't the slightest bit curious about it? During the next-to-last episode Deb dropped by his apartment [as he was carving-up the amputee hooker] and when he answered the door the viewer could see that THE GODDAMN FREEZER WAS IN FULL VIEW OF DEB. I'm not a big Deb fan, but I think most any law enforcement official or any non-blind person for that matter would probably be a bit more curious if they walked into a hipster bachelor pad with a fabulous view and a FUCKING WALK-IN FREEZER.

I love the show so much, and I have such a deep appreciation for the writing, acting, etc., that I really want to believe that I missed something. Any thoughts?

January 24 2007 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Austin

Did anyone else cry at the end?

January 10 2007 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nishtha

I just can't bring myself to believe that Dexter and Rudy/Brian/Biny are full siblings. They made it pretty obvious that Joe Driscoll was indeed Dexter's father but I think that Brian only killed him to lure Dexter down memory lane. I believe Brian has a different father and far be it for me to judge someone based on their appearance but lovely Laura Moser doesn't exactly fit the June Cleaver mould now does she? I certainly wouldn't be shocked if Dexter and Brian were maternal brothers only. I still think Brian's father is out there somewhere. Maybe Brian's father is the chainsaw massacrer? My prediction is that a big part of season 2 is going to be Dexter figuring out who did commit the "original" killings and in addition to that, someone is going to find out who Dex really is BUT they're going to decide to help him instead of turning him in and that person is going to be either Deb, Rita or Doakes. Possibly Angel because he has that whole "do the right thing" vs. "have your buddy's back" conflict going on. Needless to say it's gonna be a fireball and I can't wait for the explosion.

December 26 2006 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
streaming

Watch complete season (12 episodes) of dexter here:

if you like it, share this site with friends.

December 25 2006 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
streaming

Watch complete season of dexter here http://www.inblinks.com/content/view/21/9/

December 25 2006 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jasmin

I loved the season finale, and i love this show. The only reason I started watching showtime was because of Dexter. I cant believe that rudy and dexter are brothers. Hopefully season two will be as good as season one if not better. Im in D.R so i have to hear Dexter in spanish..It kind of sux but at least i can read the subtitles in English, if not i probably would have hated the show. Michael C. Hall is great in this show... I wonder if the show would have been the same if thay had cast someone else as dexter..Well lets be glad they didnt.. oh and im definitely going to read the book...people keep saying thing about the finale in the book..and blah blah blah...its making me curious

December 23 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

I think that if there is anyone in the show that would understand and agree with Dexter is Doakes, after all we did see Doakes do the same thing in a previous episode.

December 20 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Rudy (or Brian) had his family taken away from him that day his mother was brutally murdered. He was old enough to process the situation and he acted like any other human being would if their family was taken away from them. He would want them back. He would want them to be their true selves.

Of course, communicating through a series of murders is not the most logical idea, as it would seem easier for Dexter's long lost brother to talk to him first without having to go through the trouble of murdering the hookers. Then again, they both experienced a traumatic event, and upon Rudy's discovery of his brother's secret, it was the perfect way to communicate with him. They both are killers and can't help it, it's just unfortunate Rudy did not have a Harry Morgan in his life to somewhat justify and control his dark past. All the innocent and caring young Rudy had left was a slaughtered mom, a younger brother taken from him, and a mental institution as his home. I'd be pretty pissed off too if I was stripped of my life and what it could have been, at such as young age. Still, actions have consequences, such as Dexter going Godfather part 2 on Rudy.

Can't wait for Season 2 --> Sgt. Doakes has no idea what he's trying to uncover!

This show takes serial killing to a new level. It attempts to justify serial killing, like the good Boondock Saints tried to explain.

December 20 2006 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Though everyone has their own opinion on how the first season ended, one thing is clear: the motives make sense. It's not senseless like a lot of shows about serial killers. The show doesn't scream for justification of serial killers either.

Rudy (or Brian) has his family taken away from him that day his mother was brutally murdered. He was old enough to process the situation and he acted like any other human being would if their family was taken away from them. He would want them back. He would want them to be their true selves.

Of course, communicating through a series of murders is not the most logical idea, as it would seem easier for Dexter's long lost brother to talk to him first without having to go through the trouble of murdering the hookers. Then again, they both experienced a traumatic event, and upon Rudy's discovery of his brother's secret, it was the perfect way to communicate with him. They both are killers and can't help it, it's just unfortunate Rudy did not have a Harry Morgan in his life to somewhat justify and control his dark past. All the innocent and caring young Rudy had left was a slaughter mom, a younger brother taken from him, and a mental institution as his home. I'd be pretty pissed off too if I was stripped of my life and what it could have been at such as young age.

December 20 2006 at 6:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply