April 24, 2014

Third Stargate series is now a go

by Richard Keller, posted Dec 18th 2006 6:35PM

A third Stargate series is comingBack in October Brett mentioned a number of Stargate SG-1 movies that were heading straight to DVD release. Within that item he mentioned that these movies could be used as a launching pad for a new Stargate series. It looks like producers aren't waiting for those movies to be completed.

According to an story posted on the Gateworld website a third show in the Stargate franchise is now under development. The new series is in the concept phase and being worked on by those behind current shows Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis. Right now there doesn't seem to be a rush to production in order to replace SG1, which ends it 10-season run in Spring 2007. Instead, a premiere of 2008 or later is expected.

Meanwhile, SG1 will return in April with the final 10 episodes of the series. At the same time Atlantis will return to finish out its third season, with a fourth airing later in 2007.

Jenny Jackson

If it hadn't been for Michael Shanks being left on Stargate SG1 when RDA left, I wouldn't have watched at all.
To be honest, the show isn't what it used to be...and even so, now that I look back, the show lacks a storyline that runs through the seasons.
I'm tired of scifi shows that have "story-of-the-week" and no character development at all.
Science fiction isn't just about explosions and special effects. Some of us have brains and we wish to use them while watching entertainment.
I would watch another Stargate show if they exchanged writers. Bring in Joss Whedon or the Farscape writers.
JM Strazcynski wouldn't be bad either.

December 25 2006 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DodoBrd

SG1 is a good show, the production quality is through the roof and the acting is very well done.

Its the writing that I am taking issue with now. To be more specific I have a problem with the story lines ( dialogue and character interaction is fantastic as far as I am concerned). Every season now feels the same, an evil force arises and SG1 must race for the new Ancient weapon of the Season to defeat them.

The Ancient outpost in Antarctica is used to defeat Anubis's fleet.
The Ancient "fountain of youth" is used to defeat Kull Warriors
The Ancient weapon on Dakarah is used to defeat the Replicators.
Ancient Technology is used once again to secure the Asgard home world and remove the Replicators currently residing upon it.
And now we have the current season of the show, trying to find yet another Ancient creation in order to save the galaxy.

Its the same car, different coat of paint.

Another issue is the complete lack of consequence in this series. How many times has earth been attacked? Many and no matter what, earth is never permanently affected in any way. There is very little change in this series and it is seriously straining my ability to suspend disbelief.

These are my primary gripes.
Adios.

December 23 2006 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

We will. :)

And they didn' rename it because Sci-fi wanted the longest running sci-fi show ever, besides Doctor Who.

I think they should have gone with their plan of 6 seasons and then Atlantis with Jonas and Atlantis would be on Earth.

December 19 2006 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Nevermind...apparently either one works, but the www didn't at first for me.

Just ignore me.

December 19 2006 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Sorry, the link is just http://gateworld.net/

December 19 2006 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

#8

The renaming was something that nearly happened with all the cast changes and something to do with the costs of continuing to run SG-1 for more years. It was going to be renamed Stargate Command. The article is somewhere on httt://www.gateworld.net No idea why they didn't do it.

December 19 2006 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The second movie is about time travel, so the thought is DJ gets stuck somewhere in time.

And they can't just rename SG-1 because SG-1 is expensive and frankly sucks now.

December 19 2006 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Shively

They can leave Browder and Black at the most remotes reaches of any galaxy and bury the stargate so they can't get back.

December 19 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

I can't see any of the long time SG-1 cast members becoming the lead in the new series, although guest stints are definetly possible. The current cast members are contractually obligated though as Amanda Tapping is heading over to Atlantis for something every once in awhile. It's a wait and see type thing.

Persoanlly, I like the Stargate: Horizons premise. A space station with a Stargate that access an unknown gate system in the Milky Way and another galaxy; lots of political intrigue and action; and lots more stuff on the Ancients and new enemies and allies. If the writers looked to Horizons for ideas, we could be in for a treat. I just hope Sci-Fi doesn't frack up the scheduling like they do currently. I'm watching the new eps for Atlantis via BitTorrent and new SG-1 will start up middle of January on British SkyOne.

December 19 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

David4,

All I can say to that is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I think it's just a nasty rumor. I can't see his character being the lead at all, in fact I can't see any of the SG-1 long-time regulars being in the new series. Perhaps, as I said, Browder and Black since they're new and even some of the recurring others we don't see very often, but no way the Daniel Jackson character could lead a series. God, I hope I'm right.

James,

From what I've read the first of 2 SG-1 DVD movies is to tie up the Ori storyline and the second is to initiate the spinoff series. All that could be complete BS or have changed by the time the DVDs are made, but that's the news so far as I know it.

December 19 2006 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply