July 24, 2014

Why did The Nine fail?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 18th 2006 2:34PM

The NineBeats me.

As I mentioned in my Five Canceled Shows post, this show was the most critically-acclaimed new show of the fall season and it had the nice time slot after Lost on Wednesday nights? It had a really strong cast and an intriguing pilot. So what the hell happened? The LA Times investigates, talking to the show's creator Hank Steinberg.

The whole thing was odd from the get-go, as The Nine's very first episode didn't even the numbers that ABC thought it would, and then the ratings fell from there. People who didn't like the show can say that the show didn't live up to the pre-season hype or the quality of the pilot, but that doesn't explain why the pilot wasn't watched by more people.

One thing the article says that I don't quite believe is that the show hasn't been officially canceled by the network. Yeah, if you want to get into semantics. The network says the show might be back in March or April, but at the same time it pulled the show because of low ratings and hasn't ordered anymore.

Campbell

for some reason every other word I typed didn't make it into the post!

BRING THE NINE BACK!! I'm dying to know who amongst the Nine was involved in the Robbery...was it the bank manager's daughter? What is up with the cop and lawyer? There's just a lot I'd like to know. I thought it was a great show...kept me entertained and interested for an hour and wanting more when it was over.

January 20 2007 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Campbell

I'm sad it's gone...i loved it...it was great to see Bailey again!;) But then I didn't watch Lost, so I hadn't been bombarded with intrigue mystery for a whole hour beforehand.

I the casting was phenomenal...I dunno, I thought it worked. Maybe they will bring it back...as it's not officially canceled...right? RIGHT?! ;)

January 20 2007 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DANNY MORRIS

I DID LIKE THE SHOW AND FIND 52 HOURS OF
HOSTAGE HOLDING WITH DETAILS OF EACH HOUR
SHOWN TO HAVE EFFECT ON PEOPLE'S LIVES.
GOOD WRITING CAN DEVELOP MORE INTERESTING
DETAILS AS ONLY FIRST FEW HOURS HAVE BEEN
SHOWN. BEATS ALL THE "REALITY" SHOWS AND
MOST "SLAP STICK" COMEDIES.
BRING THE NINE BACK.

January 08 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

I was really interested in the pilot and watched everyweek waiting for something to keep me on the edge of my seat. "what happened in the bank?" "why were these people so connected?" it was moving soooo slow. I was getting really angry that I wasn't getting more so actually I was looking forward to each week with hopes that something was going to be revealed...maybe one of the 9 was actually really connected to the robbery. It just seemed to be going NO PLACE QUICK. I wonder if the writers actually have the ending already or were they writing it each week and not sure which way to go with it. What a shame, I think it really could have been good. I feel let down...and left hanging.

January 07 2007 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j l tucci

BRING BACK THE NINE(9)

January 02 2007 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I really enjoyed Lost for the first 2 seasons. I am lucky to get a glimpse when it is on for life gets to busy to keep up with shows and you miss one show and you get totally lost lol. So as far as the NINE goes I never got to see it. I am sure it is a very good show but you should move it to a different slot for more ratings.

January 01 2007 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marietta

I love the "The Nine", it was the first time I made sure to watch TV on Wednesday nights at 9 PM. This show was great. I looked forward to the next episode...and waited and waited.........I'm still waiting for it come back in it's time slot. Six Degree's was also another show that had my attention along with Boston Legal. For the first time in a long time, I was interested in television and ABC.

December 22 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leo

I'll be honest, I just wanted to know what happened in the bank. People probably saw the pilot, got slightly intrigued, then after the second episode realized the show would be 85% post-robbery/15% robbery. Unless there was some twist that one of the 9 was involved in the robbery or something, I don't know how interested in anybody would be in watching a show about a "recovery group"

December 19 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

In my home, The Nine was relegated to PVR after I noticed the clock on the bank scenes only advancing a 30 minutes or so each episode.

"52 hours? And we've only seen about 2 hours after 5-6 episodes? On hell no. This is going to last forever. I'm not getting sucked into this, like Lost. Who needs another 5 year commitment, just to understand the show's premise."

December 19 2006 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen

because we wanted to know "What happened in there??" and they concentrated on the aftermath. Which was a poor decision as it went no where. Too many unanswered threads, and bad pacing made the show terrible. I remember watching the pilot and my wife and I were excited about the show. 3 eps in......bust.

December 19 2006 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply