September 2, 2014

ABC greenlights American version of Footballers' Wives

by Anna Johns, posted Dec 19th 2006 12:44PM
abc logoThe bitchy, back-stabbing, coke-snorting characters on BBC's Footballers' Wives are coming to America. ABC has given the greenlight to the pilot for the Americanized version of the British soap drama. Instead of soccer wives, the American version will be NFL wives (natch). The BBC series chronicled how womens' lives changed when they married soccer superstars. Sounds like a companion to Desperate Housewives? The original series ran for five seasons and it is currently airing on BBC America at 10 pm on Sundays.

The Hollywood Reporter is saying that Bryan Singer may direct the pilot. In case that name doesn't ring a bell, he's the director behind the first two X-Men movies and last summer's Superman Returns.

khia213

Footballer's Wives is what Desperate Housewives wants to be when it grows up. It's so over the top, it needs a teelescope to look down and see the top. American television will never do it justice. Same way U.S. tv dropped the ball when it tried to re-create Absolutely Fabulous. It just doesn't have the nerve.

December 19 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjlawrencejr

#3 is absolutely right. PLAYMAKERS was the network's highest rated show. But when the NFL came knocking saying they were displeased, a very cowardly Disney/ESPN folded faster than a NYC street vendor selling fake Rolex watches. The amazing thing was that as far as I can recall, PLAYMAKERS never even mentioned the league by name.

December 19 2006 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La Rue

I guess I'm the alone one that thinks "Footballer's Wives" sucks. I'm more of a "Dream Team" guy myself.

December 19 2006 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

It was on ITV in the UK, it just happens to have been bought by BBC America for airing in the US.

December 19 2006 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

oh god no. i finally washed myself clean of footballers wives after getting through all the official seasons and even watching a few episodes of 'extra time' and this is going to bring me back in. I never watch soap operas or desperate housewives or anything that even resembles footballers wives but i got hooked last summer and had to work my way through all four seasons (or five, it was a bit of a haze) and this cant happen. this is the worst thing to come out of england since the spice girls. please dont subject me to the terror of Tanya Turner once again.

December 19 2006 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

Call me silly, but isn't this show on The WB. It's called The Game. About wives of football players ...

December 19 2006 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomfoxx

NFL wives, eh? ESPN (owned by ABC) had their show Playmakers a couple years ago showing the seedy underbelly of pro-football and the NFL got them to pull it because they didn't like how their league was portrayed. Even though ABC doesn't have an NFL deal at the moment, ESPN does which gives the NFL a lot of leverage. If the NFL doesn't like this show it won't last long (if it makes it to air at all).

December 19 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply