April 18, 2014

On the 1st day of Festivus, TV gave to me

by Annie Wu, posted Dec 19th 2006 4:40PM
Stephen Colbert... a great TV moment

I remember. It was the evening of April 29th, and I had opted out of attending a major social event to watch, of all things, C-SPAN. Honestly, it felt a little pathetic. Well, not "a little". It felt really pathetic. Little did I know that I, sitting in front of the television with my laptop resting on my tacky pajama bottoms, would soon be witnessing something remarkable.

Was that a bit too dramatic? Probably. But there's still no denying it: Stephen Colbert's performance at the White House Correspondents Association dinner was a huge event, which is why I've chosen it as 2006's Great TV Moment.

I don't think anybody expected it to be such a big deal... Certainly not the people that booked Colbert, expecting the usual unmemorable routines of WHCA dinners past. What was meant to be a light roasting ended up being a vicious scolding directed to not only the President (sitting only a few feet away!), but the press as well (sitting, uh, everywhere else!). It was like the court jester suddenly decided he had something to say. Of course, no one onscreen seemed to be all that amused (except for Antonin Scalia, who was laughing his head off, and Helen Thomas, who was in tears by the end). However, the Internet was exploding. Videos of the speech popped up on websites and inboxes everywhere, and even managed to steal the top spot in the iTunes store for a long period of time. Bloggers, including myself, wouldn't shut up about it.

And Colbert! He couldn't have asked for better publicity. The Colbert Report took off and Colbert became one of the most influential media personalities of the year, landing spots as one of GQ's Men of the Year and People's Sexiest.

Sometimes I wonder if Colbert's performance really changed the course of the politics. After all, 2006 was a midterm elections year. How much did Colbert fuel Americans' frustrations? How big of a role, if any, did he play in the Democratic victories? How many people would actually stage an uprising if Colbert were to ask for a revolution on The Colbert Report?

Viva Colbert!

Twelve Killed-Off Characters
Eleven Adult Swim Moments
Ten Lost Mysteries in Need A-Solving
Nine Colbert Moments
Eight Characters Quoted
Seven Sites Worth Linking
Six Creepy Killers
Five Canceled Shows
Four Small Screen to Big Screen Flops
Three Subtle Subtitles
Two Programming Blunders

JT

I just put Balls of Steel on my christmas tree to honor Colbert.

December 20 2006 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

Um, except for the Hidenburg joke, wasn't the bit largely funny for the reactions, not the comic writing? Now that a link was posted to view it, you can all experience the poorly-shot Helen Thomas sequence that ruined a potentially funny joke, as well as Colbert's reeling confidence ruining his delivery.

...Not that I've enjoyed "The Daily Show"'s alumni since the brilliant 2000 season.

December 20 2006 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

No problem Keith, we all go off, but at least you know how I feel about having to "go over this shit with people all the time". If complaints of that nature get tiresome maybe a little less coverage of politically-themed stuff would be refreshing for everyone. Compared to what's actually on TV, your site does seem to cover an inordinate amount of politics in many ways.

And for the caps, you know as well as anyone online that it's universally considered yelling and that's just what you were doing. Bright neon green underlined, or caps, the point was, in your words, "so it sticks out". Textually tantamount to yelling.

You're tired of seeing comments in the vein as the ones I've posted here. I'm tired of seeing what I've commented on. Since you guys are free to cover whatever you wish and this blog is for open commentary, then I suppose nothing's going to change unless there's more entertainment coverage with less politics in it.

I suppose you're free to ask myself, or anyone else, to leave and no longer comment and if that's what you want just say so. I can assure you that is not what I want, but I can also assure you that I will not curb my opinions. My comments will be civil, but I call 'em like I see 'em.

'nuf said.

December 19 2006 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c

if you guys haven't realized you are a primarily leftist blog, perhaps you have't actually read anything on here.
get over yourselves and then watch something. please.
thanks

December 19 2006 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

The whole event is available here:

Colbert begins about 52 minutes in.

December 19 2006 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I'd like to see this. Is it on the web anywhere?

Maybe since I haven't seen the apperance by Colbert I shouldn't comment, but I really didn't see any political leanings - left or right - in Annie's article.

I hate labels. Left, right, conservative, liberal. I think we all have a little bit of each within us. We're all on the same side, right? I also hate absolutes like for or against, right or wrong. Just too limiting.

I'm not what you'd call "happy" with the Bush administration and sometimes I vent my frustrations; but that doesn't make me a liberal leftist.

I really enjoy reading erroneous_nick and Tucker's comments. They both bring a lot to this blog; whatever leanings they may have. It's all good.

December 19 2006 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

nick -- Like I said, it's tiresome. We go over this shit with people all the time, and I just had to say something. Whether or not you meant to accuse TV Squad as a whole of conspiring, you certainly made it come out that way loud and clear. The caps wasn't meant as yelling -- consider it as regular text, only highlighted in bright, neon green so it sticks out.

Alright I'm done now.

December 19 2006 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Wow Keith, of all the comments it looks like you're the only one who went crazy, what with the all caps and such. Who's "going crazy about it" anyway? I gave my opinion, didn't use profanity or caps.

Maybe I *am* in the wrong place if a conservative opinion drives you nuts, or should I have shouted about conspiracies and called names? You know, like a lot of the vulgar comments I've seen in the past?

December 19 2006 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

It's *extremely* tiresome to see people throw stones about a group of people being left/right/sideways/frontways leaning, then going crazy about it like it's some sort of conspiracy. We're individuals and we don't bring people on to write based in any way on their political issues. Me, I could give a rats ass about politics or what anyone has to say about them, whether left or right. The only time I care is when I see me being accused of being on some extreme left or right of an issue. That pisses me off.

This isn't a conspiracy. We're having fun, and if you're not into seeing us make fun of ANYONE -- NO MATTER WHO IT IS OR THEIR POLITICAL AFFILIATION, SHOULD THEY HAVE ONE -- then you're definitely in the wrong place.

December 19 2006 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

And just for the record, I'd rather see Colbert named Time's Person of the Year regardless of my personal feelings towards him, than their lame cop-out. They could've at least picked someone who caused a stir, made a lot of news, was extra troublesome, whatever...just pick a "person".

Sorry, off topic, but I wanted to toss that in.

December 19 2006 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply