July 30, 2014

TBS orders nine more episodes of My Boys

by Anna Johns, posted Dec 19th 2006 12:01PM
my boysMy Boys, the TBS comedy that I keep meaning to watch, was just picked up for a full season. The comedy, about a sports-loving girl with a bunch of guy friends, is the network's first attempt at an original, scripted comedy. It premiered with about 1.8 million viewers, which is enough to make TBS happy. The network ordered nine more episodes, bringing the total first-season order to 22. Production on the additional episodes will begin in early 2007 and they will air this summer. The first thirteen episodes will play out before the end of this year. And, if you're like me and you haven't seen them, you can watch on TBS.com. I think the presence of Jim Gaffigan as a co-star is what has me intrigued. No word yet on the fate of TBS's other original scripted comedy, 10 Items or Less.

Is anybody watching this? What do you think?

Katie

I agree with the most of the positive commentary for this show. As a young professional woman who loves sports and her guy entourage and frequents post-work happy hours with her friends, I find it very relatable. I don't think her friends are alcoholics at all -- I think they're normal and very representative of an average group of social friends living in a city. Unlike other shows I like (Sex & the City, Grey's Anatomy), I find the main character to be very likable -- not whiny, cute (but not constantly exuding a vibe of thinking she's cute), caring, human, and not annoyingly self-centered. She is flawed, as are all the characters, and I think that's what makes them endearing. The chemistry between the characters is natural and I like that PJ has her one really good girl friend in Stephanie. I think the best part about this show is how believable it is -- everyone has the bar they go to, they go to sporting events, worry about money and what their friends think, have poorly furnished apartments, and embrace the city life. The name dropping doesn't bother me because I feel like most shows do it, and frankly I'd rather hear about Mr. Beef and Wrigley than Hooters and Chili's.

January 01 2007 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Vermette

I really like this show. I do think that TBS should change the show from 30 minute, to 1 hour, but other than that, its a great show. Hopefully TBS will keep the show going in a good direction and others will check it out. Its a modern Sex and the City plus.

Its a must watch.

December 20 2006 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven Andrew Miller

I am a very big fan of Gaffigan, but this show is awful. The lame sports analogy voice over every episode? And for being a baseball beat writer she never seems to be at games, or in the club house.

But the worst part of the show is the very lame namedropping to give it "real Chicago cred."

Gaffigan is funnier than this! I wish someone with give him his own show.

December 19 2006 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Libragirl

I like this show. It's also on TBS on demand for free if you have it. That's when I watch it because I forget it's on since it's on at 10 pm by me.
It's really a good show.

December 19 2006 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

A good start for a show, but Gaffigan needs to be in more scenes, not a throwaway punchline (maritally whipped). He can bring a lot of dry humor to balance the other characters ridiculous idelogies, which are funny in their own right. We need to see traces of Gaffigan's character before he got married to make his currently subdued character that much more effective.

December 19 2006 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Dude

I can assure all that there is much more Gaffigan to come (his part gets bigger) and more Trouty. All should watch tonight's episode with Jay Tarses. Yay Jay! and keep your eyes out for Neil Flynn's turn (the janitor from Scrubs) on the show, Flynn never disappoints.

(yes, the creators are hiring all their friends)

December 19 2006 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

My Boys is an awesome show - please get as many people to watch it as you can so it'll stay on the air.

December 19 2006 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I also have to say that I like this show. It's not without it's faults, but I think that's more because it's still maturing. And any problems it has are fairly easy to overlook as long as you aren't expecting a high caliber show to begin with.

As a whole, the entire group works well together and was cast perfectly. But I have to admit that the main character is starting to get on my nerves and I'm not entirely sure why. It's probably those repetitious and annoying promos that they keep showing with her saying, "Well Helloooo...." that are hurting her in my eyes.

December 19 2006 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I too like this show a lot. It is refereshing and funny, and it is nice to see women portrayed this way, and not whiny and, well whatever. But I do have to say to kurt @ #5, I don't think they seem like alcoholics at all. In fact, I think it would be pretty typical of a group of 20-something friends living in a big city together, that they go out and drink a few times a week together, or go grab a beer after work. Especially if she is covering sports for the Tribune.

Go Cubbies =)

December 19 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

Great cast. Very natural interaction. I watched this show with my wife and we both enjoy it. Usually can't stand personal and relationship examination but it is so minor compared to the actual group interaction or is it that the main character is not whiny and goes with the flow. Writing is real as well except for the over use of drinking. Nothing against a night out but these characters seem like borderline alcoholics. Seems like the writers are stuck in a setting rut.

December 19 2006 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply