October 24, 2014

One more reason why I hate Elmo: he's a Jets fan

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 20th 2006 8:03AM

Jeez, you win a few games unexpectedly and everyone loves you. At least that's what I'm noticing about the New York Jets, who have exceeded all expectations by compiling an 8-6 record so far this season. They've become such a surprise, that everyone's favorite annoying red Muppet is even a fan of theirs.

At least that's what I want to think after reading this New York Times article detailing the visit that punter Ben Graham, wide receiver Laveranues Coles, quarterback Chad Pennington and head coach Eric Mangini made to Sesame Street last week, a few days after the team lost to the Buffalo Bills. The four Jets were on the show to teach Elmo some football skills, and each man danced with their kids (well three of them, anyway... the article didn't say if Coles had kids) on the popular "Elmo's World" segment.

The appearance is notable because Mangini is from the intense, sleep-in-your-office coaching school made popular by his mentors, Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. But apparently, Mangini couldn't pass up the opportunity to be on his two-year-old son's favorite show. Awww. He's just a big ol' softie, that Mangini.

Can you tell that I'm not a Jets fan? I follow the New York Giants, who aren't direct rivals to the Jets but share the same stadium. Needless to say, given how the Giants are playing lately, seeing their cross-hallway rivals frolicking with the little red menace doesn't quite fill me with the warm fuzzies.

[via Deadspin]

j3ffr3y

Hey, anyone who hates Elmo as much as you needs to goto this youtube video:

January 03 2007 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

In a world where people like Terrell Owens and Barry Bonds get all the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

In a world where Jeremey Shockey calls Bill Parcells a f*g.

In a world where the Knicks and the Nuggets fight in front of hundreds of children.

In a world where athletes make more then teachers, cops, and EMTs.

I find it a beautiful sight to see 3 athletes and a coach that are not in the newspapers because of what they do off the field, on a children's show showing that most of them (athletes) are good guys.

And one more thing...

J-E-T-S Jets Jets JETS!!!!!

December 20 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AnnetteJetsFan4eva

Ok... i live with a disgruntled Giants fan...not fun.. but thats not the point... If that were the Mike Tyson look alike.. Staham... and Eli "oh man im no where as good as my brother" Manning... ? you guys would be sleeping with one of those furry red plush dolls under your arm at night... Stop hating the Jets... and get on the winning team wagon!!! J E T S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 20 2006 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carrie

Don't feel bad, I'm also a Giants fan & NOT a Jets fan, I HATE them. Hopefully, they'll lose the rest of their games!!

December 20 2006 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shannon

I think thats really cute. I like the idea of these big, strong tough guy types doing something like this to make their kids happy.

December 20 2006 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

Katie: There is nothing in this piece that is anti-jets, apart from the fact the Joel said he wasn't a fan, if anything this piece is posted for fans of the team so they know the players were on TV, and it reflects the team as quite nice family guys who want to do something to make their kids happy.

Given that this is a blogging site and not a news site, the authors are well within their rights to make personal opinions and Joel's opinion is .... he doesn't like Elmo

December 20 2006 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

I feel sorry for all you Giant fans. Yeah right! Interesting-- a coach who actually enjoys being with his players on of all things a kid's show. They're not huffing or puffing or getting arrested or BSing anyone. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

December 20 2006 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Quit your bitching. You honestly thought that your apparent dislike of the Jets warranted an entire wall post? And just because they visited Elmo, you saw a chance opportunity to bash them in some small way. Plenty of kids look up to Chad and the other players, and are fans of the team, such as my little brother. Shame

December 20 2006 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply