April 19, 2014

Buffy comics writer joins Lost staff

by Brett Love, posted Dec 21st 2006 2:02PM
Brian K VaughanBrian K. Vaughan, creator of Runaways and writer for the Buffy comics, announced on his website that he has joined Lost as an Executive Story Editor. According to Vaughan, he is neither an executive or an editor, and the title is Hollywood speak for joining the writing staff.

As for what that means for the show... I'm leaning toward not much. Not that Brian K. Vaughan isn't a talented guy, he clearly is, but I don't have much confidence that he will really be allowed to do all he can. Lost has always had talented writers. Although, they have had some trouble hanging on to them. David Fury hopped a boat off the island and went to hang out with Jack Bauer. Javier Grillo-Marxuach later followed suit and made his way to Medium.

The problem with Lost, if you subscribe to the idea that there is a problem, is with the producers and the way they control the show. As an example, J.J. Abrams told Howard Stern that there are probably 4 people that know the game plan for the show. Now, if J.J. knows, and you have to assume Carlton and Damon know, that leaves one more person that actually has any idea where they are headed. And if that one other person is Fury or Grillo-Marxuach, then the rest of the writing staff is operating in a vacuum. And that leads to disjointed 'filler' episodes and, quite possibly, getting overtaken by Criminal Minds.

So, congratulations to Brian K. Vaughan on the new gig. I'm sure it will lead to some fantastic episodes that manage to fill up an hour of airtime while ignoring the idea of actually moving the story along.

[ thanks for the tip Ian ]

Brett Love

Robb, in defense of my wonky title, this is TV Squad, where most people are familiar with Buffy, and there has already been quite a bit of talk about the upcoming comics. The intent isn't to place a higher value on Vaughan's Buffy work than any of his other stuff, just to fit the title to the site.

And Robert, have you been to the fuselage?

December 21 2006 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robb Irrgang

Weirdest headline ever, since I really dont see BKV as a Buffy comics writer yet. That might, however, be because the issues he is supposedly writing haven't even been solicited yet.

That said, the man is a god for writing Ex Machina, Y and a bunch of other books that I can't remember right now. Article intent good, all hail teh BKV, however, article title... wonky.

December 21 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PastaQueen

While I'm glad BKV scored some big TV money, I hope his comics don't suffer as a result. I like "Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina" way better than I like "Lost."

December 21 2006 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert E Smith

I'd like for someone to indicate which episodes of Lost are filler.

Then I'd like them to tell me how they know.

R.

December 21 2006 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MPB

Brian K. Vaughn is a pretty awesome writer. In addition to writing "Runaways" and the Buffy comics, he really shows his chops (and everything he can bring to Lost) in "Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina." Especialy "Y" since that is one heavily serialized title with a big cast of characters. And of course more then that, its also incredbily engaging and addictive.
Hooray for Lost, and most especially hooray for the continued success of comic writers!

December 21 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Brian K. Vaughan is awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Ex Machina and Y the Last Man are the two best comics going right now, and Runaways (which he just handed off to Joss Whedon) isn't far behind. Did I mention that he's awesome?

December 21 2006 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply