November 23, 2014

CBS shuffles Monday night comedy schedule

by Anna Johns, posted Dec 21st 2006 11:56AM
cbs logoCBS is making room for a new comedy called Rules of Engagement, which is produced by Adam Sandler. Starting February 5th, Rules will have the 9:30 pm timeslot on Monday nights. That's a coveted spot for a comedy, with top-rated Two and a Half Men as a lead-in. The premiere is also the day after CBS airs the Super Bowl, which means you can expect to see a lot of Rules promos during the game.

Rules stars David Spade, Oliver Hudson (Dawson's Creek) and Patrick Warburton ("Puddy" from Seinfeld). It's about two couples and a single guy who "navigate the jungles of dating, engagement and marriage." Moving it into the 9:30 pm slot during sweeps is a vote of confidence on CBS' part.

The move displaces The New Adventures of Old Christine, which be on a brief hiatus in February (they're pulling it for sweeps!). Old Christine will slide into the 8:30 pm slot after March 5th, when The Class finale airs. And it looks like the series finale of King of Queens will air May 21- but that's not definite.

Stephanie

I'd have to say that The Class is my favorite show on television. My whole family used to watch it. If I could pick a show to take out of the Monday night line-up, it would be How I Met Your Mother, but please keep The Class, I enjoy that show very much!

Thanks,
- Stephanie.

March 12 2007 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Please don't get rid of Old Christine,my family loves
this show. We watch all the monday night shows but The Class just never could get into it.

February 18 2007 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

I agree with Ralph Wolff. Please do not get rid of The Class.... I'm over 50 and enjoy that show. Great cast...great writers. I'd rater have How I met your mother leave Monday nights. Who makes these decisions?

Julie

January 26 2007 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph Wolff

I would get rid of How I met your Mother-But please please don't get rid of The Class-It is very funny well written and acted and of course 2 1/2 Men is till one of the best-Jon and Charlie are so good together and the kid is great too.

Sincerely,
Ralph Wolff

January 24 2007 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wheel see

Anna didn't explain this well and I was kinda confused as well about where HIMYM was going when I orignally read it and then I read the Press Release on FutonCritic

From the Press Release...

"CBS's Monday Lineup, Effective Feb. 5
8:00-8:30 PM HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
8:30-9:00 PM THE CLASS
9:00-9:30 PM TWO AND A HALF MEN
9:30-10:00 PM RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (Series Premiere)
10:00-11:00 PM CSI: MIAMI

CBS's Monday Lineup, Effective March 12
8:00-8:30 PM HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
8:30-9:00 PM THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE (Time Period Premiere)
9:00-9:30 PM TWO AND A HALF MEN
9:30-10:00 PM RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
10:00-11:00 PM CSI: MIAMI

CBS's Monday Lineup, Effective April 9
8:00-8:30 PM HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
8:30-9:00 PM THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE
9:00-9:30 PM TWO AND A HALF MEN
9:30-10:00 PM THE KING OF QUEENS (Time Period Premiere)
10:00-11:00 PM CSI: MIAMI "

December 23 2006 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I've caught a preview of Rules... last October, and I have to say, it's the funiest sitcom I've seen in a while. Be sure to catch it. TIVO it. Tell you friends.

It basically centers around a young couple who is engaged to be married and their friends. Patrick Warburton and David Spade plays the friends of the engaged couple.

December 22 2006 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlyGal

What about HIMYM? I hope that they aren't touching it! It's in a great time slot!

December 21 2006 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

Interesting, Elaine gets bumped by Puddy!

December 21 2006 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug D.

I don't think putting Rules of Engagement into the 9:30 slot means a whole heck of a lot. Remember last season, both Out of Practice and Courting Alex sat in that same time slot and had semi-respectable numbers. Then The New Adventures premiered, those two shows moved to Wednesday at 8, and were gone a couple weeks later.

Even though those two shows were too weak to stand without 2 and a Half Men, I think any show can sit behind it and pull numbers. Besides, its not like CBS thinks it needs a stong lead-in for CSI: Miami.

December 21 2006 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I thought The New Adventures of Old Christine was doing really well - I wonder why they pulled it - especially during sweeps.

I don't think Rules of Engagement has much of a chance of catching on.

December 21 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply