October 25, 2014

Tom Goes to the Mayor brings the joy and the sadness and a DVD

by Adam Finley, posted Dec 21st 2006 8:29PM

tom goes to the mayorFirst of all, enjoy this nice little Christmas video from comedians Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim. It's from their upcoming sketch show, and it's kind of confusing. Not to worry, I'm sure when seen in context it's even more perplexing.

Oh yeah, and the complete series of Tom Goes to the Mayor will be out on DVD in April 0f 2007. Since they're calling it the "Complete Series" I'm going to put two and two together and assume the show is over for good. I am equal parts bummed and thrilled by these two bits of news, though I think two seasons is a pretty good run for a show like TGTTM. Rather than follow the trajectory of so many others before it and use pop culture as a springboard, Tim and Eric satirized small town life and overzealous civic pride in an absurdist style that crawled right into my brain, laid out a sleeping bag and whispered softly to me: "Adam, I'm forever stuck in your head now. Get used to me."

All sadness aside, we still have Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! to look forward to, so no reason to commit suicide yet, Tim and Eric fans.

thomas

the show was not for everyone. You either hate it or love it. I love it

February 16 2007 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvddesign

The show had two seasons, I'm sure, because there was no more story to tell.

If the show was that bad, I do not think Adult Swim would've approved "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! " to go on as a follow up show to TGTTM. "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!" looks to be about as off-putting and disturbing as TGTTM was. If not moreso. Or did you miss the vomiting Christmas carol that aired on Sunday? (made my night...)

And so long as Adult Swim keeps making new episodes of 12 oz Mouse, minoriteam, or Squidbillies, there's always going to be room for absurdist humor.

Tom Goes To The Mayor? Awesome Show, Good Job...

December 22 2006 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

I just wanted to step up to the mic and say that Tom is one of my favorite [as] shows ever. Hate the game not the players, kittens. Tommunists represent! Rats off to ya!

December 21 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyberphin

Praise Be, Finally that crap is over. It wasn't even at the level of animation of an AIM icon .gif file. And there is funny absurd (sealab2021) and then there is crap like TGTTM.
There's a reason this show only had two seasons and it wasn't to go out gracefully.

December 21 2006 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Bua

TGTTM is the worst product ever produced by adult swim. It's nothing more than a series of photoshopped pics of Tim and Eric and their friends (sorry Brian Posehn, that means you, and you two also Bob and Dave) with bad pseudo-slacker ironic voice overs.

Suuuuuuuucks!!!