October 26, 2014

Day Break: What if ABC is asleep at the wheel?

by Brett Love, posted Dec 22nd 2006 9:03AM
moon bloodgood, adam baldwin - day breakA lot of people have been asking what is to become of Day Break now that ABC has pulled it from the air. The word was that the remaining episodes were to be shown on the network's video site. If you were wondering why ABC hasn't made good on putting the new Day Break episodes up yet, TV Guide has an answer. But be warned, it's a pretty stupid one. According to an ABC rep, there are "unforeseen music clearance issues."

As John McEnroe would say, "You cannot be serious." I could understand the holdup with something like the WKRP DVD set because of music clearance issues. When Johnny and Venus were spinning records, nobody had dreamed of what the home video market would become. But given the fact that ABC has been putting a whole mess of their shows, including Day Break, online, how were these issues unforeseen? That's like your car breaking down because of unforeseen cars burn gas issues.

I have no idea what ABC is doing at this point. If the best they have to offer instead of Day Break is repeats of According to Jim and George Lopez, what's the point? The slight gain in ratings still landed them in fourth place, and isn't worth the ill will they are garnering from viewers.

Clay

The shows are going to be posted on January 29th at abc.com! Check out the site...go to the top left dropdown menu and select shows, then Daybreak, then read the bottom left. It looks like three new episodes will be streaming online on the 29th! Wow...

January 23 2007 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Kept waiting for the show to return. Then I read this site. Damn good show. What's up with ABC? Sorry to see it go. I would like to see a conclusion to a really good, well executed premise. Another comment mentioned Lost. I'm a fan, but the show has gone into creative writing limbo, like getting a good fantasy novel and beating the crap out of the premise a little too long. Daybreak was fresh, well acted and innovative.

January 23 2007 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maggots cwii

I haven't watched tv for a good 3.5 years seriously... not even the food network... I hate Tv ... but when i saw daybreak I came out of this funk ... i watched all episodes if i missed it i watched it online... for a show to have pulled me back to the couch after three years... it could have only been amazing !!! i guess i'll go back to video games, where i control my own destiny.

January 11 2007 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricardo durand

any black person who take a show to abc,nbc,or cbs is bound to fail they only like it when blacks are side kicks.they can't handle how beautiful blacks are when they are leading. blacks should not not compete, its not a fair competition, blacks will always fail because its progam that way abc is suck period!the t.v game ascors suck suck suck abc

January 11 2007 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

what a joke,just when you were hooked, the network pulled the rug right out from under you! RUDE!!!
i feel betrayed, just like when they took Reunion off.
some of us like these type of shows, anything is better than realitity.......................

January 07 2007 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Jeff mentioned Firefly...as soon as I heard about Daybreak being cancelled, I told my husband (HUGE Firefly fan) that I hope Adam Baldwin doesn't think he's cursed

January 05 2007 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brent hopper

the problem is that this show--unlike LOST--had already been filmed from beginning to end in 13 episodes, and there was not going to be a cliffhanger ending--just a nice completion to the plot. But now we may never know thanks to some idiot paper-pushers...

January 05 2007 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Daybreak was the best new show i had ever seen on ABC, other than that, i dont really watch abc for anything. but i saw previews for it, and couldnt wait until the next one came on the following wednesday night. it kept me wondering, what happens next?! i really realllyyyy HOPE somebody comes to their senses and brings it back. i hate when shows start and then get ripped off the air like that. please bring it back! i love that show.

January 04 2007 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The joy of bueacracy. What the network doesn't understand is that by pulling these shows out from under us, even if we are not a sufficient number, we are less likely to become interested in future shows where they have a strong serial storyline. I loved The Nine and Daybreak and wanted to see how it ended. Though I guess in the end maybe it would be like Lost and we never know what really happened. Oh well.
I guess I will watch more espn, they just show things over and over.

January 04 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yes how do shows like Life According to Jim stay on the air...Let's you know who's voice is heard according to who gets to participate in the Neilson ratings...Day break was the best thing going and ABC is out of touch...This is Firefly part two! Put it back now....No kidding...

January 03 2007 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply