July 22, 2014

Is William Petersen really leaving CSI?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 26th 2006 3:07PM

William Petersen as Gil Grissom on 'CSI.'Well, kind of... yeah. For those that have caught the new promo for the next episode of CSI, it touts Grissom's departure from the Vegas lab. The episode, appropriately titled "Leaving Las Vegas," airs next Thursday, January 4. But we sort of knew this anyway. We even reported a few months ago that Liev Schreiber was joining the cast as a new lead investigator named Michael Keppler.

So at this point, I suppose you shouldn't be worried. The episode description even says that Grissom is only leaving for a four week sabbatical. But then I went digging.

A simple Google search for "William Petersen leaving CSI" yielded numerous articles and interviews dating back to 2005 where the actor talks about how he's tired of playing Gil, would like to give theatre and film a shot again, and his desire to be a better husband. He makes it clear in this article that his character will only be around in a limited capacity for the remainder of this season. So it looks like solving the case of the miniature replica killer was Gil's last hurrah. But let's be honest here TV fans. We know how this works. My educated guess? Petersen won't be back at all when CSI returns in Fall '07 for its eighth season. Anyone think otherwise?

tuğba

he can'tleave it.we love him very muchhh

February 27 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tuğba

he can't leave it.we love him very muchhhhhhh

February 27 2007 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
serranne

omg! he sooooooo cant leave. me and my friend declare that if there's no grissom, there is no CSI. we shall no longer watch the show!

GRISSOM. CANT. GO!

February 26 2007 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stigur Einarsson.

William Petersen as Gil Grissom is half of the show. With him gone,they can turn of the lights.

February 25 2007 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

I for one enjoy watching Csi and Csi Miami. I don't think either series is cheesy or campy. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I think those of you who don't like the show should just watch something else. That's why we have cable and all the numerous satellite companies.

February 24 2007 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kskirk

If Petersen leaves they might as well cancel the show. He really makes the show, You could tell the difference when he went away for 4 weeks. Petersen is a very good actor. I didn't think they could find anyone who could play with the same postive yet superior additude and get away with it, until they put David Caruso in CSI Miami, and Gary Sense in CSI NY.....It's funny how everyone keeps spelling William Petersens' name Peterson insted of PETERSEN...I guess I would notice since my maiden name is Petersen..SEN is Danish and SON is Swedish..My father was Danish my guess is William Petersen is Danish..I wander if we are related?? I wish I had something of william Petersens'...I am a big fan.....William Petersen I wish you and your family all the happiness in the world, God Blessed be...Sandy Kirkpatrick

February 22 2007 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

When Gill returned after his 4-week absence, my wife and I both thought his hair and beard looked strange, and we wondered if William Petersen is having health problems, as in radiation treatments, causing hair loss. It reminded me of Jerry Orbach's sad few episodes in Law and Order: Trial by Jury. Did anyone else have that thought?

February 20 2007 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer Wenner

I really like the show as it is. I wish William Peterson would not leave. It is my favorite CSI. Jennifer

February 15 2007 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Graham

There's no way Liev Schreiber will be on the show permanently. Is it not incredibly obvious that his character is going to turn out to be the miniature killer?

February 15 2007 at 6:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dadybear

I think it's way too much for him to just walk away from. Although he is a co-creator and co-producer I think that all that "Sienfeld" type like money and the stardom and what not will be too much to pass up. Look for Grissom in the Winter of 07/08!

February 14 2007 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply