October 22, 2014

Who does NBC think is going to watch "The One That I Want?"

by Brett Love, posted Dec 26th 2006 12:01PM
GreaseNBC has ramped up the promotion for their new reality show, You're The One That I Want. We've mentioned the show a couple times in the past. The short version is that contestants are going to compete for the roles of Danny and Sandy in a new production of the Grease musical.

That's all well and good, but I can't help but wonder just who is going to watch that. Musical theater certainly does have a core audience, but I have a feeling that it's not big enough to measure up to the demands of prime-time network TV. I get the idea behind the show, it's got the singing of Idol and the dancing of DWTS, but that doesn't make it Idol or DWTS. We've already seen what happens when people try to clone these shows. The One and Skating with Celebrities come to mind.

I think a more realistic measuring stick for the show would be what has happened with the Tony Awards. Looking back at ratings for the major awards shows this year you find the Academy Awards with a 23.4, the Emmy Awards with 10.6, and the Tony Awards struggling with 5.1. That's not horrible, but I think it offers an idea of just what kind of an audience there is out there for this kind of programming. Have I missed the boat? Are you just chomping at the bit to hear some people butcher "Summer Nights?"

Monty

The biggest turnoff for me now was seeing that the annoying Billy Bush will he hosting it. If anything, that's the main reason I won't tune in.

December 27 2006 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessy Scholl

To solve your question Erica, NBC will be airing this at 8-7 Central on Sundays beginning January 7th. With that said, it will be a big flop because who wants to sit through two months of auditions for Danny and Sandy. I agree with Joseph Bua that Grease is a generational smash, but I expect the musical revival on Broadway in New York to get better numbers than the NBC show.

December 26 2006 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Bua

Folks, this is going to be the reality hit of the spring (Idol's already a hit, it doesn't count).

I remember my freshman year of college walking through State Quad at SUNY Albany and ever kid was singing these songs after the movie came out. It's not about the play or the theatre, it's about Travolta and Olivia.

The movie is a generational smash. Every new group loves it. It's timeless. Best thing Alan Carr ever did. I remember seeing him here in O.C. for the debut of the revivial with Rosie O'D ... we had both left early 'cause it sucked so bad and he was waiting in the parking structure when I went out for my car. We were both embarrassed for them. But the movie is gold.

Broad reach, catchy tunes, rooting for your fave ... it's what reality TV does the best.

Huge hit.

If not, I'll post video on YouTube of me eating my hat.

December 26 2006 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Personally, I couldn't stand it when they did the same exact thing for "Fame". I don't know how this show would be any different, aside from the greasers and poodle skirts.

I doubt it'll get huge ratings once the newness of it wears off.

December 26 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

Christopher,

You made a good point about the differences between the UK and the US. Sometimes these things transfer, sometimes they don't. And I'll add that you have a great point about Grease being the right choice. I still don't see this being any kind of a breakout hit though.

I suspect it will premiere with good numbers, thanks to Extreme Makeover and Cold Case repeats as competition. But then the audience will fall off with Extreme Makeover winning the night handily. It will be interesting to see how the numbers shake out though.

December 26 2006 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher

I think it has several things going for it. The movie Grease is extremely popular and the soundtrack to that movie is also very popular. Additionally, this isn't the first time this has been done. Over across the pond Andrew Lloyd Weber produced a new version of The Sound of Music and the actress who play Maria was selected from a very similar show called How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? It was popular enough that he is doing it again with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. That being said, the UK is not the US. I think it has a good chance, I think they have chosen the right musical to attempt it with.

December 26 2006 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

When will this show be airing? I can't find the info on the NBC site.

Anyway, I thought that DwtS was stupid and would bomb, and we all know how that turned out. But Grease is one of my favorite musicals, so I might check it out.

December 26 2006 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hassan

My wife can't wait for this show. I think this will be a huge hit.

December 26 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

The uk version of this to find the lead for the sound of music was a massive hit, just like strictly come dancing (dancing with the stars)

December 26 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

What do you want to bet it's a hit?

December 26 2006 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply