April 21, 2014

PBS makes Gerald Ford documentary available to local stations

by Adam Finley, posted Dec 29th 2006 8:02PM

gerald fordI'm too young to really remember the late Gerald Ford, though he was president when I was born. That's not really significant, I'm just grasping for any kind of connection I might have with the man. The truth is, I don't know a lot about him, other than the basic stuff: he was not elected to the presidency, but rather took over when Nixon resigned, and also pardoned the former president. But then, I've always had what I describe as a "Cliff's Notes" way of retaining history.

If you're interested in learning a little more about Ford, you should check the listings for your local PBS station, because the WGVU-produced documentary, Time and Chance: Gerald Ford's Appointment with History has been made available to PBS stations everywhere. The documentary was based on James Cannon's book of the same name, and chronicles the life of the late president and his political career.

Luther

I didn't see any mention of Ford's and Kissinger's approving of Suharto's invasion of East Timor, during which up to 200,000 Timorese were slaughtered (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB62/press.html)

Ford also kept the aid flowing to General Pinochet.

January 01 2007 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin Clark

This documentary claims Ford was a park ranger in California. In 1936, Ford was a national park ranger at Yellowstone, which is mostly in Wyoming, NOT California. This is probably another case of mistaken identity with Yosemite.

December 31 2006 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

It's cool seeing that the doc was produced by the local PBS station.

Go Lakers. Drive for Five!

December 30 2006 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samual Icky

Being a grad of Grand Valley State University, I've actually seen this documentary a few times... it isn't that bad. I've seen better Presidential doc-u-bio's... if you get a chance TiVo it...

(And hey, how about the Lakers football team... 4 national championship's in 5 years...)

December 29 2006 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I sawso much shit about him recently. The History Channel did at least 12 hours of things the day after he died. They showed more coverage of him than his presidentcy lasted.

A few fun facts through are that he was named after his step dad, his birth name was somethnig King. He also almost, very closely became VP with Reagan in 1980.

December 29 2006 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply