April 25, 2014

Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's

by Adam Finley, posted Dec 29th 2006 9:03PM

rod serlingThe SciFi Channel is airing a Twilight Zone marathon that will run from 9am on December 31 through 5am on January 2. As much as I'd love to record every episode, that's a bit much for ye olde Tivo to handle, so I had to cherry pick my favorite episodes and just record those. Someday I'll do what Bob did and buy the complete set on DVD, but for now I'll have to make due with what SciFi offers me. At least it's the original Rod Serling version and not any of those god-awful remakes that popped up later, though I think even fans like myself have to remember that not every episode of the original Twilight Zone was perfect. Some of them were rather heavy-handed and cornball, but memory sometimes has a way of only recalling the best of some things.

Speaking of the complete DVD set, you can watch some of the DVD extras on the SciFi site, including actor commentaries.

Brian

Because I love Twilight Zone and because it's New Years everybody's doing a countdown. So here is my Top Ten of the Twilight Zone episodes you need to see:
10). The Meek Shall Inherit
9). Five Characters in Search of an Exit
8). Time Enough at Last
7). It's a Good Life
6). The Shelter
5). To Serve Man
4). Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
3). Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up
2). Monsters are Due on Maple Street
1). The Eye of the Beholder

January 01 2007 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamey

I love love love the Twilight Zone Marathon. I watch it every New Year's Eve. My favorites are Talking Tina, and the one where the banker can hear the thoughts of others, and he thinks that someone is going to rob the bank, or the one where the kids swim in the pool and reach a fairy tale land, or the one where the woman has the operation in the hospital, she's beautiful but everyone else thinks she's ugly. Love love love it!!! Enjoy!

December 31 2006 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia

Well, I have always said that nothing says "New Year" more than the Twilight Zone marathon! I look forward to this every year, and while I have seen every episode numerous times, there is something so comforting about having it on for those two days. My children live several states away from me and they have said many times that they are amused that they always hear the music when they call to wish us a happy new year!! So it will be, this year, also.

December 30 2006 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

HA!
Had to laugh when you mentioned the part about memory sometimes has a way of only recalling the best of some things. My B-Day is Dec 26 and my wife got me the complete collection of Space:1999. I have been begging for this for years and now finally I have all the eps. But alas, I can only stomach about two episodes at a time before I overdose on 70's costumes and over acting not to mention haphazard special effects. Then the next day I can't wait to get home from work and watch some more....only to start the flatline expreience again. Oh hey, that reminds me...I could be watching my Space:1999 right now. bye!

December 30 2006 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TV Addict

Any attempt to remake twilight zone has been pure crap. I get excited every time they come out with a new twilight zone and i'm horribly disappointed every time they come out with a new twilight zone. Is it too late to get some of Rod Serling's DNA and clone him??

December 30 2006 at 4:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Spurlock

It's worth the money for the whole set just to miss the commercials and the egregious cuts they make in the episodes to fit the time slot.

December 30 2006 at 3:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

*made sure to tape record them during the Halloween marathon before buying the complete set*

December 30 2006 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

You might be right about the 80s version. I caught a few episodes when it was on, and I recall not being that impressed, but I was just a kid back then, too.

December 29 2006 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent J. Murphy

Actually, the CBS remake from the 80s was very good, with a lot of outstanding stories. I dare say that it was probably better than the original in terms of good vs bad episodes (though the original did last a lot longer and has many more classics).

Now the UPN version: THAT was crap.

December 29 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply