November 25, 2014

Best and Worst of 2006: Bob's list

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 30th 2006 2:22PM

Studio 60If you had told me a year ago that the top three shows on my "Best of" list would be on NBC, I would have said you were crazy. Then I would have asked you how you knew this. Are you psychic? Can you see into the future? You're the devil I say, the devil!

But that's what happened. Below is my list for the 5 best shows of the year and the 5 worst, along with various odd and ends. Yeah, let me have it in the comments about what I got wrong.

Update: After a few days of thinking about it, I've changed one of my "worst" picks. I'm sure you'll see why.

Best:

1. Heroes (NBC): I liked the pilot when I saw it earlier this year, but I thought the show would collapse quickly and be either ridiculous or boring. Wow, was I wrong. This isn't just the most exciting show of the year, it's also one of the smartest. They're doing a comic book show the way it should be done. And they're doing it in a way where you say "this is how TV should be done!"

2. The Office (NBC): Everyone says the British version of this show is better than this American remake. They're wrong. Maybe it's because I'm American (or, more likely, people just like to seem smarter and more international than they are so they say that the British version must be better), but this show does every single thing right. This is the best comedy on TV right now, on the networks or cable.

3. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (NBC): Sorry folks, if you really think this is a bad show, you don't deserve to own a television.

4. Ugly Betty (ABC): Flat out one of the most entertaining hours of the season. America Ferrara is one of the breakouts of the year, and the rest of the cast is great too. I don't know if I thought I'd get into a soap about the fashion industry, but it's very funny and smart.

5. Jericho (CBS): I thought this show would be gone in 5 weeks. A serial sci-fi about a town cut off from the world after a nuclear war (if that is indeed what's happening)? I didn't think it would last. But it had me hooked after the second episode, and it's a lot better than anyone thought it would be.

Honorable mention: The Nine, Day Break, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Alec Baldwin on 30 Rock, Bob Schieffer, Deadwood, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Little People, Big World, Keith Olbermann, Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

Worst:

1. The Insider/Entertainment Tonight/Access Hollywood (syndicated): I made a resolution a few months ago never to watch these shows again, and I'm happy to report I'm sticking to it. Every single thing about these shows is vile, dumb, and exploitive. Including the hosts.

2. Jerry Springer (syndicated): This will be on the list every year until Springer either quits or goes to hell.

3. Nancy Grace (CNN Headline News): One of the most vile human beings on television. If I can even use the term "human being."

4. Deal Or No Deal/1 vs. 100/Identity (NBC): Three of the stupidest game shows in history, and all have basically the same premise/lighting/direction/editing/host. Oh, and painfully annoying contestants.

5. The Rosie/Donald Trump feud: Two morons sniping each other. It was boring, embarrassing, and made it almost impossible to root for either of them.

Dishonorable mention: Rachael Ray, The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity and Colmes, Paula Zahn, Emeril Live, Twenty Good Years, American Inventor, all the CSI shows and around 98% of all reality shows. And the series finale of Will & Grace.

Most Disappointing: Lost

Worst Casting Decision: 30 Rock, for kicking Rachel Dratch to the side and getting Jane Krakowski to take her place.

Show That Went Downhill The Fastest: Smith

Stigmata

EVEN THE MOST BORING / WORST EPISODE OF LOST IS 1000% BETTER THAN THE BEST / MOST EXCITING EPISODE OF STUDIO 60!!

AND THE FACT THAT YOU OMITTED DEXTER PROVES THAT YOU DONT DESERVE A TV, AND SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED TO BLOG ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE GRASS GROWING ON YOUR LAWN.

January 02 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whatsthedeal

Bob, thanks for the explanation on that change. Although, I do have to disagree since Nancy Grace has not infiltrated every corner of America in the way that Rachael Ray has. There really is NO escape from that talentless twit!

January 02 2007 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

The change I made was to put Nancy Grace into the top 5 and drop Rachael Ray to the Dishonorable mention category. Because Nancy Grace is evil and obviously worse than Ray.

January 02 2007 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

I'm another Rachael Ray hater. I can't stand her food, it tastes AWFUL, her stupid giggling grates on my last nerve, and the fact that she can't even TRY to bake reminds me just what a twit she is. I stopped buying Nabisco anything in my house, and will continue to do so until the madness is ceased. Talk about catering to the lowest common denominator....

January 02 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Rachael Ray is the worst TV show, TV person, TV interviewer...I mean she should be #1 in your 'worst' list..if you watch TV you'll see her mug everywhere!

January 02 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whatsthedeal

It certainly is very odd that you decided to modify your list. Although you say we'll see why, it's far from clear. So, Bob, how about an explanation on that one? Afraid of Ray, Oprah and Kingworld? Or Ray's husband, the pretend attorney?

While it was extremely annoying, the Rosie/Trump feud cannot even compare to the Rachael Rayification of this country. That silly feud got some press for a mere two weeks at the end of the year. Ray's show was heavily promoted for a year before it even hit the airwaves. Then, we were all subjected to annoying commercials, scary billboards, large ads on buses and in the subways, etc. I won't even get into the takeover of the cracker aisle thanks to the Nabisco promotion that started in November, the commercials that go along with that, the pots and pans in Target, Kohl and Linens 'n Things, etc.

Let's all hope that 2007 is the year we see a lot LESS of RR! I don't know one person that doesn't agree on that one.

January 02 2007 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaylew

you changed Rachael Ray from one of the 5 worst to a mere dishonorable mention...what happened???? Did her husband threaten to sue you???? or worse...ask you to spit on him?

January 02 2007 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krissyderic

Keith Olbermann is Number One as far as I'm concerned.

Watching "Heroes" for the 1st time so no comment as yet.
rachael ray is the worst of the worst. I can not tolerate her immature 8 year old childish behavior.
She is sooo overexposed and is extremely sickening.

January 01 2007 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walter Cronkite

Wow.You really go out on a limb with your list. You pick the favorites of just about every critic and you hate mostly syndicated shows. TV Squad ? More like Geek Squad.

January 01 2007 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RP

My top pick for 2006 hands down is RACHAEL RAY SHOW!

January 01 2007 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply