April 19, 2014

Interesting typo on CNN: Obama bin Laden?

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 2nd 2007 6:36PM
CNN logoTVNewser posted what looks like a pretty awful typo on Monday's edition of CNN's The Situation Room: a picture of al-Qaeda second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahiri and a cut-out in the shape of Osama bin Laden. The headline next to that picture is "Where's Obama?"

Obama? It may be a slip of the keyboard, but putting a picture of al-Qaeda and the name of the junior senator from Illinois, Barack Obama, together, seems like it would be sort of a Freudian slip, don't you think? For one thing, "B" and "S" aren't close to each other on a computer keyboard, and for another thing, the potential presidential candidate has been accused of being associated with radical Islamic militants. Anyway, Raw Story has the entire sequece of events, including Wolf Blitzer's on-air apology to Obama (the video of which is at Crooks and Liars). If I were Bob, I'd say something like this: "This would be something I'd expect from Fox News, not CNN," but I'm not, so I won't.

[via Lost Remote]

Joel

no kidding LC... and though it was your backhanded way of dogging on FoxNews, Joel, I agree with you that Bob would have done it directly.

January 03 2007 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

LOL. God help us if Fox did it. All the conspiracy theorists would be crawling out of their Reynolds wrapped homes.

January 03 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

I echo Malren here.

Great cheap shot on Fox Joel. Did you stay up all night trying to come up with that?

January 03 2007 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

That's nothing...wait until his middle name [Hussein] hits the mainstream...

Back on topic, I was writing documentation last week, and one line should have read "the application will perform properly when placed on the user's hard disk"

"Disk" somehow got a "c" in there...OUCH!

January 03 2007 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bebop

Oh please typos happen.

I type sex instead of sec all the time...

wait maybe it is subconscious!

January 02 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Whoever typed it possibly has written enough stories about Obama that s/he has added Obama to their spell check dictionary and it autocorrected? We have all done stuff like that on the fly, right?

January 02 2007 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Like this is the first place that has tried to make hay out of this "story?"

January 02 2007 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

This seems like something Fox News would do.

This is why I watch MSNBC.

January 02 2007 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I have to agree. Osama/Obama. Pretty close. Who ever makes the graphic probably works very quickly - and makes graphics referring to both pretty often. I hope no one got fired. I wouldn't read too much into this, Joel.

January 02 2007 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joebediah

wowzers malren. strong opinions on non-stories? sounds like a bad habit.

January 02 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply