October 23, 2014

What's in and out for 2007

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 2nd 2007 4:03PM

Dane CookI'm not sure if I'm a fan of these "What's In and What's Out" lists that seem to pop up every December or January. They seem to embrace trends instead of just quality. But I like Hank Steuver's writing and lists like this are a good conversation starter as the new year begins.

That doesn't mean I agree with him on everything. I mean, David Sedaris is "out" while John Hodgman is "in?" That's ridiculous (though I like Hodgman too). And Dancing with the Stars will never be "in" with me. But I love that he picks America's Next Model as being "out" and Ugly Betty being "in." Ditto his picks for Laguna Beach being "out" (Meerkat Manor is "in") and Dane Cook being "out" (thumbs up to Jim Gaffigan!).

What do you think is in and out, TV-wise? I'm sure they'll be a lot of opinions on Steuver picking Battlestar Galactica as being "out" and Heroes as being "in."

Patrick R

I have to admit, I was suckered in by Dane Cook for a while and I genuinely still enjoy some of the stuff on his CDs. Overall though, I agree that his time is done. Everything he's worked on since his last album was released has pretty much been rehashed, boring, and/or just plain awful.

January 03 2007 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

They seem to be trading one sibling for another. You can't break up The Talent Family!

I also HIGHLY disagreen on Anderson Cooper being 'out'... no pun intended.

January 03 2007 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rory4

I am not so sure about that top list. Having not gotten into Battlestar, I couldn't take issue with it being "out" and Heroes "in". As for Heroes, I missed the first few episodes, but love it. A blog I've been liking for catching me up is at http://heroes-spoilers.blogspot.com/ - has some spoilers. I am really looking forward to heroes starting up again and seeing how those specials start to use their powers a lot more.

January 03 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

No matter how "in" it is according to Hank Steuver, I refuse to drive nude.

He's right on Amy Sedaris, Meerkat Manor, Ugly Betty (over America's Next Top Model), How I Met Your Mother and Heroes.

Excuse me now... I have to check the pork belly market. There's a real future in them, y'know.

January 02 2007 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bebop

I agree with the "Crazy Wire fans"!

They're nuts. Stop telling us to watch the show, seriously. If it's good we'll see it. Maybe some of us have already seen and figured that we don't like it. But stop saying we should watch The Wire. The Collected Television Viewing Society Who Doesn't Watch the Wire gets it already ok?

The CTVSWDWW understands you love the show, just stop telling us we suck because we don't watch it.

Also I agree with the "Heroes" being "in" for 2007.

January 02 2007 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Battlestar Galactica out?

You have absoloutly got to be kidding me.

January 02 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Is that supposed to be a joke? "David Sedaris is 'out'" hah, no kidding.

January 02 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply