November 28, 2014

It's official: The O.C.'s series finale will be on Feb. 22

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 3rd 2007 5:19PM
The OC logoOur friends at AOL TV just passed us a press release from FOX saying that The O.C. will air its season finale on February 22nd.

"The O.C. Season Four finale will also be the series finale. This feels like the best time to bring the show to its close," said creator Josh Schwartz in the press release. New episodes will air starting tomorrow, January 4, and run all the way until the finale. No word on what will happen during the finale, but I'd imagine that there will be a lot of goofiness and young nubile people having relations.

This wasn't unexpected, because ratings for the show were dismal last year, and FOX only picked up the show for 16 episodes this year. Despite a return to the tone and humor that the show had in its earlier seasons, ratings didn't improve, so it became a goner. Also, NBC's pickup of Schwartz's pilot Chuck might have contributed to both parties' decision to end the show.

The full press release is after the jump.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE SUN SETS ON "THE O.C."
WHEN THE SERIES FINALE AIRS
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22, ON FOX

The sun will set for the last time on THE O.C. when the series ends its four-season run Thursday, Feb. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. The countdown has begun, with all-original episodes airing from Thursday, Jan. 4 through the last episode on Feb. 22.

THE O.C. stars Peter Gallagher (Sandy Cohen), Kelly Rowan (Kirsten Cohen), Benjamin McKenzie (Ryan Atwood), Adam Brody (Seth Cohen), Melinda Clarke (Julie Cooper), Rachel Bilson (Summer Roberts), Autumn Reeser (Taylor Townsend) and Willa Holland (Autumn Reeser).

Set in Orange County, California, THE O.C. premiered in August 2003. It follows a group of friends and families whose lives were changed by the arrival of an outsider – Ryan Atwood – to their ocean-side community of Newport Beach.

THE O.C. revived the teen drama genre while including humorous and heartfelt adult storylines. Shortly after its summer premiere, THE O.C. was a pop culture phenomenon – its actors are household names and its indie music (and subsequent six soundtracks) and hip California wardrobe are sought-after in stores. The show's Newport Beach locale also has become a popular tourist attraction as fans visit the real locations featured in their favorite episodes.

"THE O.C. Season Four finale will also be the series finale. This feels like the best time to bring the show to its close," said Josh Schwartz, creator and executive producer of THE O.C. "Thanks to the hard work of our cast, crew and writers, we have enjoyed our best season yet, and what better time to go out than creatively on top. It has been an amazing experience and a great run. For a certain audience, at a certain time, THE O.C. has meant something. For that we are grateful."

From Wonderland Sound and Vision and College Hill Pictures and in association with Warner Bros. Television Production, THE O.C. is executive-produced by Josh Schwartz, Bob DeLaurentis, Stephanie Savage and McG. Ian Toynton and John Stevens are co-executive producers.

-FOX-

kelly

Does anyone know of an encore presentation of the finale on any channel? I was out of town and missed it!

March 04 2007 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenna

okayy i missed the last episode which has never happened, can someone please tell me where i can find it at to download or if someone taped it can it be mail pleaseeee !!!

email me at sum41punkbaby@yahoo.com

this show will be greatly missed :(

February 23 2007 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2pac shakur!

up yours fox! the oc is a tv show that rockd the world and shouldnt end this early! just coz its lost a few viewers doesnt mean u should end it, even with the loss the oc is still attracting enormous ammounts of viewers! the creators and producer'S should fight harder to keep it on air.

ITS ALL UR FAULT misha barton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 22 2007 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BTEW

FOX SUCKS!!!!!!! THE OC IS THE BEST SHOW THAT THEY HAVE, JUST BECAUSE THE RATINGS WENT DOWN A LITTLE THEY RUN SCARED. PLEASE! THERE ARE FAR WORSE SHOWS WITH FAR WORSE RATINGS THAN THE OC. I FOR ONE AM GOING TO MISS THE OC A LOT. AGAIN I SAY... FOX SUCKS!!!

February 19 2007 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TINA FEWELL

I THINK THAT INSTEAD OF TAKING O.C. OFF THE AIR THEY SHOULD OF PUT IT ON ANOTHER TIME SLOT!! PUT IT BACK ON MONDAYS . I JUST LOVED THE SHOW AND ITS HARD TO FIND A GOOD SHOW THAT KEEPS YOUR EXCITEMENT UP WAITING FOR THE NEXT SHOW, PLEASE THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA ANS MOVE O.C. THANKS FOR LISTENING !!!!!!!

February 17 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

IN 2005, after 6 years of being apart by thousands of miles, i finally was reunited with my princess, and amazing her favorite show was the oc, so i began to watch it, and know it's a weekly "i can't wait" AND hearing that it's been cancelled has just pulled both our and the rest of our huge families interest in fox programming because if you can't realize what a good show is, and me being a script writer and novelist, i see more potential than you have shared to even think about giving this an ending....bad choice FOX television....you don't know what you've just destroyed....in family (20 to 40 ) YEAR brackets, favorite past time.....the OC was the best this channel has ever thought of.....I hope this group realizes that if they get the chance to move on and get back together in a different show, you will be worth millions....look me up, i'll even write for you.

Jay.

February 15 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystale

I'm very upset that this has to come an end.I really love this show .I thought by killing Marissa it would wreck the show but i didn't expect it to be good like it became.Its a shame that its over because fox is missing out.I REALLY HOPE IT COMES BACK. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BRING IT BACK

February 05 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I have to agree with all the fans who posted a comment on here. The O.C. has been one of the best shows to ever come on t.v. I have been watching this show since day one. Every Thursday me and a group of friends get together to watch whats going to happen. This is the biggest mistake FOX has ever made. personally I feel that Marissa should have been put in a coma and then brougth back laaater in the season, giving Ryan time to think about whether he wanted Taylor or Marissa. The O.C. is the absolute best show ever and FOX won't be able to fidn a show better than it to air. I really hope FOX knows what they're doing and for all those fans out there BRING THE O.C. BACK!!!

February 01 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

We as a family have enjoyed The O.C. My kids got my husband and I hooked on it since day one. It was nice being able to sit down and what a show, with great enjoyment, as a family, that is (was what this show was about). It was a nice change from all the crime drama shows(which they seem to show too much). I also feel they should have left it in the same time slot they had the first two seasons, Wednesday nites.

January 20 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

The O.C is one of my favorite shows. Although they killed Marissa off last season i didn't lose interest.I think this season got off to a rocky start but each episode has been getting better. I'm sick of seeing Ryan+Marissa= forever everywhere. Although i did like how Marissa caused some of the drama, i didn't like her with Ryan. She treated him like crap all the time, she definitley wasnt very loving. I am sad to see the show go, it's what i look forward to every Thursday night. It will be greatly missed and so will all of the characters.

January 18 2007 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply