September 18, 2014

A sad day for television?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 4th 2007 1:10PM

William PetersenFor the past week, CBS has been running a sad preview for tonight's episode of CSI, the last one for star William Petersen (for a while anwyay). Liev Schreiber joins the cast soon.

Hey, I'll admit I don't watch this show (even though it's the MOST IMPORTANT SHOW IN THE UNIVERSE). So I ask fans: is this departure as big as they're making it out to be. Yes, yes, I know he's the star of the show and he's the leader of the team and all that. But the commercials make it sound, with the "you never thought he'd leave" voiceover and the tinkling piano and the emotion, you'd think that Lucy Ricardo was just hit by a bus or maybe Petersen had died in real life and this was his last show.

Why is Petersen leaving temporarily anyway? To star in a play? Burnt out? Contract negotiations? The episode preview should get into that: "People come and go...but you never thought he'd leave...but due to other commitments and just a feeling that he had to get away for a while, our star has to leave and will be replaced by another actor...tonight, on a very special CSI."

sharon

Grissom is a great part of this show - love this show and all in it but without peterson i will not watch

January 14 2007 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine Radwich

Why do all of the actors in truly great television shows think they need to leave for greener pastures? Look what happened to E.R. When you have a good team leave it alone. William Peterson will not make it big anywhere else, he's Grissom period not George Clooney. I'm sure he's makes more on CSI than he'll ever make elsewhere so don't break up a team that works. If they must replace him the shoes will be large to fill as they must fit with the rest of the cast.

January 11 2007 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samsara

I've always been indifferent to Grissom because I think he's good investigator,just a lousy boss. He plays favourites and allows his favourites to get away with way too much.

Catherine is also a poor choice because she is too territorial and wants all the glory.

January 05 2007 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vera zaffis

I enjoy the show no matter what. However, I hate that Catherine's dad, Sam, is 'gone' and I also always thought that Grisson should end up with Lady Heather.

January 05 2007 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ele P

He'll only be missing two episodes from what I've heard. He's been in Providence, RI for the last two months doing a play, which BTW was fantastic. He's also got to renegotiate his contract for future seasons, so, who knows what he'll do. It's all posturing to get the best deal. If they allow him to leave next season to pursue another role in a play, why not resign? It's the best of both worlds. Let's face it, he's not going to get rich in the Theater!

January 04 2007 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC19

So I've read on various websites that Peterson is going to leave after this season anyway. His contract is up after this current 7th season and he wants to move back to Chicago and return to his first love, theater. Now my only guess is that not only does this 4 episode hiatus allow Peterson to go act in a play, as stated by KMF... but...

Perhaps this is sort of a test run by CBS so the viewers out there can get a taste of what, barring any ER-esque future 3-4 episode cameos, a Grissom-less 8th season will be like.

January 04 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roseanne Betlej

What I really want to know is what is the name of the artist and song that has been played in the commercials leading up to this evening's show, "Leaving Las Vegas". Anybody know?

January 04 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caris

I remember hearing rumors that he was going to leave way back when they started CSI New York and Miami. I would bet that he probably won't be back.

January 04 2007 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I'd heard that Peterson was leaving briefly for a play so to me I think the promo is a bit over the top. My sister thought he was leaving for good and i had to explain he wasn't. I am glad he's not gone for good.

Posters 4 and 5, I used to laugh about the flashlight thing too, but when I dropped something and even with the light one couldn't find it, my sister joked I should 'csi it.' and grab the flashlight. I actually found the lost item. I still laugh though because the flashlight thing seems so unreal it's funny. But it actually worked.

January 04 2007 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

I will miss him, well I will miss the guy from season 1 and 2 not the deaf guy, nor the love sick puppy. But the original guy.

Hope he comes back.