July 22, 2014

In Case of Emergency: Pilot (series premiere)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 4th 2007 7:03AM
David Arquette(S01E01) I'm not sure how I feel about this show. It's not bad. It's not good either. It's just there, wallowing in a sea of blandness. Honestly, what was so creative about this show that it deserved to get made? Maybe there's some sharp writing in upcoming episodes that wasn't displayed here. Which would be understandable of course. It is the pilot episode and you need to explain what the show is all about: four high school friends reuniting under unusual circumstances. That's a unique idea... right? Not even close.

Everything just felt so clichéd and maybe that was the point. It seemed a little too, I don't know, expected? Predictable? Recycled? From aspiring author turned greeting card writer Harry (Jonathan Silverman) to the valedictorian turned erotic masseuse (Kelly Hu), it got to the point that it was corny. I felt like I knew these characters before I even knew them. That makes sense right? Some shows that's good. This one? Not so much.

It kept going though. Greg Germann's diet guru who fell off his own bandwagon into a pile of baked goods (literally) and David Arquette's suicidal accountant who worked for a company currently known for its Enron-esque practices. Haven't we heard of these characters before?

You can't blame a show for wanting to try and recapture that Friends formula. Plenty of shows have tried since the NBC sitcom took its final bow and few have succeeded. You can easily argue that How I Met Your Mother has done so but that same argument is going to be harder to win for In Case of Emergency. I think the main problem right now (beyond my dislike for the bland main players) is that there are too many questions still. Questions that I don't feel will have satisfactory answers. That's a double edged sword because I'll end up watching a few more episodes to see what happens. (How's that for writing? I'm complaining about clichés and I just used one. Ha!)

For instance, what's the deal with Joanna (Lori Laughlin)? She's a doctor, and unless someone gets injured in every episode, how is she going to be integrated into each show? She's in the credited cast and so my best guess is that Jason doesn't stop dogging for her. Again though... man falls for doctor after injury? C'mon.

Maybe I'm being overly critical but this show has a very talented cast and it's too bad they've been given such hollow roles. The whole theme of the show is that none of them turned out how they were supposed to be and the irony is that the show itself didn't turn out as good as it could have been.

renthro

i thought the show was pretty good. it seemed like it jumped around a bit too much on the first episode, but the second one was a bit more progressive. the cast has some big names so i must think that they have something interesting in the upcoming episodes...

January 16 2007 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Personally, I think the show is hilarious! I loved the pilot episode! My husband and I couldn't stop laughing! Honestly, I'm not worried about the story line! I just enjoy a good laugh at the end of my day and this show was a good fix!

January 10 2007 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stevie

awful awful awful. don't know how i kept it on for 30 minutes. were we supposed to think a diet guru pigging out on cake was hilarious? i assumed i would hate david arquette the most (as i hate all arquettes), but next to silverman he's a genius. jonathan silverman might just be the absolute worst actor of all time. ever.

January 04 2007 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treegoat

I didn't care for it. After so many chuckles w/ Knights, I was really disappointed. I'll give it another shot though - I'd like to see them pull the story together a bit more.

January 04 2007 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

This is a show with a really solid cast, including Laughlin & Hu (both of whom I love and adore), which is why it's more than a little disappointing that it isn't better than it is. I like the dynamic between Silverman and Hu but I don't think much of the other male characters. As for Laughlin - who I've been watching since she was on the late lamented soap "The Edge Of Night" - so far she is totally wasted in this role, which is a shame.

January 04 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtt

Read the review and all of the comments so far and wondered why no one had noticed that this show appears to have many of the same elements as another show on another network that is wallowing in "will it be cancelled ville" called the Class.

And as to this being better than Knights....this show could not even clean Mick's dogs pool.

January 04 2007 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fredrik

I dont think Kelly Hu was very hot, but I do liked this episode and thought it was interesting, so I will keep watching.

January 04 2007 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Bryson

Kelly Hu looked fantastic, and quite frankly this show beat the pants off The Knights of Prosperity. I am going to be patient here and see what (other than a big crush on Kelly Hu) develops.

January 04 2007 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

I caught the pilot last night and wasn't too impressed. I don't mind the premise or the zany character setups. I do mind that Harry, ostensibly the main character, is made to look pathetic from the start. He's weak and whiny. He was forgettable in high school, and they've made him a forgettable pushover now. That's a problem.

But, to be fair, they have to set up the characters and throw them together. What will make it a good show is what happens next. Either they find something interesting about these characters, or it's just boring schlock that'll end up in the bin.

January 04 2007 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Agreed across the board. Also, Kelly Hu is easy on the eyes. So a couple more episodes to see if it goes anywhere won't be too painful.

January 04 2007 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply