October 24, 2014

My Name Is Earl: Our "Cops" Is On

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Jan 4th 2007 11:44PM

(S02E11) I wasn't that thrilled with this episode. I can't seem to put my finger on it as to why I didn't find it so funny. The concept was a good one with Cops filming in Camden County, but it just seemed so over-the-top. I mean, how many crimes did Earl, Randy, Joy, Darnell, and the rest of the gang commit in a single episode?

That doesn't mean there weren't any genuine laughs here, either. The appearance of Tim Stack as himself was clever--I enjoyed him on Son of the Beach and he was really funny here. The scene where the officer (Mike O'Malley, late of Yes, Dear) lets him drive off when he's absolutely blind drunk was hysterical. When he mentioned his 62 items on his IMDB page, I nearly fell out of my chair! (BTW--it's now 63!)

The other notable guest star was Kathy Kinney, who played another police officer. (In case you don't remember, she was "Mimi" in the Drew Carey Show. She was wearing A LOT less makeup.)

Anyway, the story takes place on what Earl describes as "another boring Sunday" at the Crab Shack, and everyone there seems to be lamenting over something. Suddenly, Cops shows up on the bar's television, and it's a repeat of the episode filmed in Camden County back in 2003, and we are "treated" to some of Earl's worst behavior before karma entered his life. Randy also does his best to get into the act and joins in on some of the criminal behavior, all in order to be on Cops.

We're treated to a number of high crimes and misdemeanors, including Crabman's garden of hydroponic marijuana plants and Joy's throwing of Earl's stuff of the roof of their trailer. In between, we see some of the other characters get into mischief, and the local peace officers can't seem to get a handle on things. In fact, Earl steals a police car, and later we see him and Joy getting naked in the back seat being filmed by the embedded cameraman. Another funny scene was when Earl was trying to run away and he falls down and yelps, "I skinned my pecker!"

However, I have to say that overall I just couldn't get into it this week. Earl did say at the end that he saw some things that were on his list that he needed to take care of, but I'm not sure what the purpose of this episode was in the entire scheme of things. Plus, there was no sign of Catalina, and that's always a disappointment.

Hopefully this was just an anomaly and we'll soon get back to Earl's quest for karma, as well as Joy's pending trial. We know the writers want to develop more stories and not stay wedded to Earl crossing off something of his list every single week, but it might be good to back to that for a little while just so we can see him right his past wrongs.

Kathy

I looooovvveeddd this episode! I was crying when Earl said he scraped his pecker.

and the "you had at balls" made me fall out!

bad boys bad boys!

January 11 2007 at 7:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvkey

I loved Patty when her hand was stuck in the vending machine! The young guy walks by and she tells him that she still has one good hand left. POF! (peed on floor)

January 08 2007 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

They have shown Darnell's relatives before, at the wedding.

So yeah, it's not consistent with Witness Protection, but it's been done before.

January 06 2007 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

This was the funniest episode to date. No need to rehash it, but I lauged at every little joke.

Stack in the bar "hang up the phone and drive, Bitch"
Joy; "You still got it"

I knew it was a good one right then and there.

January 06 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
felix

I think this is one of the best Earl episodes so far just for the sure laughs it generated. The Mexico episodes have to be a close second.

January 06 2007 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brody

I didn't really care for all the much, felt rather tedious. And I was also bothered by the poor continuity. It's supposed to take place 2 years before Teacher Earl, yet two of Earl's students appear, and can speak English.

January 05 2007 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

I was "meh" on the episode until the last 10 minutes that's when the show finally got really funny instead of "yeah I've seen that before".

Since I can't stand Randy I almost died laughing when he was tranqued and bounced off.
I also liked seeing so many background characters: Patty the daytime hooker, the old man with his voice machine, Kenny, I forgot the character's name but "snake guy" should be enough, one legged girl and a few others I forgot now.

Joy was a riot as usual (though it will be hard to top "happy Joy"), girl had a new intonation for her trademark "oh snap!" that made me choke (silly huh?).

All in all, it started weakly but ended rather greatly.

I wish they would tranq Randy every week. *goes to happy dream land*

January 05 2007 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip

Great, great episode!

My only 2 complaints:

The African guy (we met him when Earl was teaching ESL) shouldn't be in a 2003 episode speaking English.

What's Darnell doing in Camden county with his grandmother? He was relocated alone.

January 05 2007 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with it either. I love the secondary characters as much as the next guy, but they seemed a bit too heavy-handed with the townies this episode. I love it when a couple of them just pop in for one or two scenes in an episode. Having pretty much every secondary character in the show involved in one episode... It was a little too much for me... It was still funny, don't get me wrong, but I thought it was definitely below-average on the "Earl" scale.

January 05 2007 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tully

The Wu Tang exchange was a gas, had me a good belly laugh with that one.

But yeah, they seem to reconn the show every so often, which is kind of odd for such a character driven show.

January 05 2007 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply