October 25, 2014

What were the biggest network news stories of 2006?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 4th 2007 8:01AM

David GregoryI watch a lot of television, but one thing I'd hate to do is to actually keep track of what stories are talked about the most on the three networks (ABC, CBS and NBC) every night during their newscasts. Luckily, The Tyndall Report does it for me.

What were the three news stories that got the most coverage during the past year? Obviously, the war in Iraq was the No.1 story, followed by Israeli-Hezbollah fighting and the Hurrincane Katrina aftermath. The report lists the top 20 stories of 2006 (and I was very happy to see that Britney Spears' crotch is nowhere to be found on the list).

The report also lists the reporters that had the most airtime. The top three were NBC's David Gregory, ABC's Martha Raddatz and CBS' Jim Axelrod. I thought Lara Logan would be higher on the list, because I always watch her on CBS. The way her hair cascades down and her accent makes me shiver I think she's a first-rate journalist.

Mike

Bush and the Iraq war the top news story? Nonsense. It couldn't hold a candle to mass illegal immigration and population growth....a REAL story. For the networks to treat Iraq.....and the election....as the top stories of the year was ludicrous.

January 07 2007 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

No story was more newsworthy in 2006 than mass immigration and population growth.....NOTHING else was even close. The media WAY overplayed the Bush/Iraq issue.....to the point that it was just ridiculous.

January 07 2007 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I'm glad to see David Gregory was the reporter with the most airtime. He's hot! He is the most versatile journalist in the industry. He ask the best questions when he is covering the White House. He is often the co-host on the Today Show and I am amazed the way he interacts with the quest and audience members that gather outside. He's kind of like Clark Kent, a serious reporter, then he puts on a cape and he becomes a hero for the today show with his wit and charm.

Matt Lauer is a good co-host, but I look forward to David Gregory filling in for him because he is an excellent co-host.

January 07 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gaffers

Makes me shiver too!!!!

January 07 2007 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

*rolls eyes at numbers 2 and 3*

January 05 2007 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Clearly the biggest news was Karl Pilkington seeing a grub eat a biscuit, sadly no networks picked up on it.

January 04 2007 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply