December 20, 2014

CSI: Leaving Las Vegas

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 5th 2007 12:52AM

Grissom out, Keppler in.

(S07E11) This was an incredibly frustrating episode. As much as I love this show, episodes like this are why I don't review it weekly like I do CSI: Miami. At least with Caruso and the Miami crew, I know what I'm getting week in and week out: a cheesy, campy, and thoroughly enjoyable over the top soap opera. With CSI, it's far too often a crap shoot. And that's lousy because I expect this show to be good. Where did CBS get off telling viewers that this would be "an hour of television we'd never forget?"

Not only was Grissom's temporary departure unemotional, bland, and short (he was in the episode for about five minutes), but it left hanging questions that don't need to be hanging. First off, are he and Sara on or off? I'm indifferent to the situation (I know plenty of viewers were miffed by it after last season's finale), but what was with the awkward good-bye between them? Not to mention that fact that every bit of advice he gave and hug he received was in the preview for the episode anyway.

Then, in CBS' second promotional blunder, where the heck was Keppler? Don't put out a promotional website that lists 1/4/07 as the day we get an answer to "Who is Keppler?" and not have the guy show up in the episode! That's just lousy right there. Granted, I was only expecting to see Liev Schreiber briefly in the last minute of the episode, but still... I had every reason to expect him. We all did.

Now here's why I said this show is a crap shoot. Despite all that I'm complaining about, this had one hell of a cliffhanger and I never saw it coming. Did anyone think that the miniature replica killer was still out there? I thought Ernie Dell did it. Nope. Grissom got a package on his desk after he left and through the magic of television, we got to see inside of it. Another replica and that means another murder. We can shelve that though because it's going to sit on Gil's desk until he gets back. Unless Keppler opens it... if he shows up.

The rest of the episode was standard CSI fare and it focused on Catherine trying to nail a guy for a new set of murders since he had already been acquitted of another. It brought back the sleazy defense attorney Adam Novak too. Remember him? Catherine had a one night stand with him and he pushed her around a little? Guy was a drunk? Get a hold of "Weeping Willows" from season five. It's a good one. For you trivia buffs out there, Novak is played by Alan Rosenberg, Marg Helgenberger's real-life husband.

Alright, sound off people. Was Grissom's departure everything you hoped it would be? I wasn't the least bit satisfied with it.

Becky

hey yeah thank you!?

February 28 2007 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

dude i think you should have a site with pictures from the show!?

February 28 2007 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

if grissom leaves i will never watch it again he is the person that makes csi

February 17 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shelley

I'm sorry but I feel that this season is so NOT up the CSI we have all come to love...it's gotten to where I record it...and watch something else...and watch it whenever.
Grissom and Sara..oh please. Grissom needs to start visiting Lady Heather in prison...now there was a match! Sara, is like one of those grade school kids..if we dont play my way, I'm gonna take my toys and go home. Guess every show needs one bad egg.
As for the rest of the team, it doesnt seem like they are a team anymore. The closeness is gone, they are all so cold towards each other this season.
The shows arent as exciting as they used to be... really miss the lab scenes with Greg...the team dissecting clues and having their pow-wows.
Guess all good things must come to an end.

February 08 2007 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lunchbill

A lot of posts, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but I think the box on Grisom's desk contains a miniature of his murder scene. That will be the season finale: the CSI team catching the real miniature maker, Grisom's killer. Liev Schreiber is okay, but he's now William Petersen, so far anyway.

I see they just announced a CSI film with Petersen.

February 01 2007 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I am so sick of catherine always acting like a know it all when its the team that does all the work and she jumps in and gets credit.Another thing is how does one inspect dead people with the busom exposed ,where are ther white coats? When is Grissome going to admit his interest with Sara,whom is so patient with him,that farewell on his leaving was just so immature. Have there been a change in the writers?

January 26 2007 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jerry

my wife and I are half expecting the discovered body mentioned in the miniature model newspaper will be that fo Grissom we hope not we both like him

January 25 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

This episode was pretty bland. I was disappointed at all the hype about Gil leaving, then it's only for a sabbatical, not permanently - I sincerely wish SARA WOULD LEAVE/GET KILLED OFF, tho. The case Catherine worked on was well done, and the delivery at the end of the show was just the right "twist" I like and it keeps me coming back.

January 25 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
holly

I love the show as a whole but this one seems a bit flat. So much time this season is spent on guests that we dont get to see the stars but a couple of minutes here and there. William, Jorja , and Gary seem to be token players most of the time to Marg, Louise and George. I long for a little bit of team work of seasons past.

January 21 2007 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Midnight

I agreee with Mandy Blair's comment #7. I don't think I'm gonna keep watching CSI: if Grissom leaves for good, he was my all time favorite. He took a different perspective of the crime scenes, and made it look natural, not forced. No one will be able to fill his shoes! And I was expected something more out of the Sara and Grissom goodbye. I was a little disappointed with that, I like little love affairs as a side plot, but the season finale was pretty much it. Talk about a rip off! And I agrre with comment #20, Nick looked alot hotter with spikey hair.

The original CSI is still number one with me though, even though this Keepler guy is never going to make up for the loss of Grissom.

January 20 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply