July 28, 2014

The O.C. creator has two pilots in the works

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 5th 2007 10:33AM
josh schwartzDon't cry for young Josh Schwartz, the creator of now-cancelled The O.C. Sure, the ratings for the show dropped to terribly low levels (fewer than 500,000 teens watched it on a weekly basis). And his star wanted off the show. But, he has been given greenlights from both NBC and The CW for pilots.

Joel already told you about the NBC pilot, called Chuck. It's "a high-concept action dramedy about spies and twentysomethings..." His other pilot, which was just greenlighted by The CW, is called Gossip Girl. It's about New York teens and their parents, as told through an anonymous blogger. Kinda sounds like Sex and the City meets Dawson's Creek. (With Josh Schwartz, everything "meets Dawson's Creek").

Oh, and did I mention that Josh Schwartz is merely 30-years old and has a three-year, seven-figure deal with Warner Bros. television? Yeah, he's gonna be just fine.

Abby

I think that the OC was a great show in the 1st and 2nd seasons, but the 3rd season was just terrible. The OC could have been a great show, but i think Schwartz just ruined it. The 4th season was better than the 3rd, but he still should have kept going on with the OC. The show could have gone on for another two seasons atleast, but that was his decision. That was his loss, not mine.

January 17 2007 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

He is very talented and I urge all of you who have not seen an episode of the OC -- to rent the first season -- of all the television shows I've ever watched in my life -- the first season of the OC is pure greatness. For those of you who left after season 3 -- catch season 4 when it comes out on DVD -- it has returned to form.

Very sad to see the OC go.

January 05 2007 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The CW is not gonig to pick up a show no one is watching, they rather start over.

And several shows over the years have been rumoured to move to WB or CW. Last year it was Invasion. Invastion has 8 million viewers while The OC is lucky to have half that.

January 05 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kelli

Cry for him? I don't think so...Does anyone remember "The Mountain?" If he didn't take such and ADHD approach in the writing of the script, this show could have had a 5-7 yr run.....Remember the controvery around the concept for "The O.C." from his college roommate? Well, time will tell if he can write a hit on his own.

January 05 2007 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cameron

Sounds lame...the CW should pick up the OC instead

January 05 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacie

I can't wait for his new pilots. I read the Gossip Girl book series and it sounds like the pilot is based off the books. If that is true, then I REALLY can't wait. I'm sad to see the OC go though! Good work on a great show!

January 05 2007 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I wasn't crying for him anyways, he wrecked something that could have been the next 90210 and made tons of money.

And the CW pilot sounds like it will last for year and years, if they add more sex.

January 05 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply