April 21, 2014

The Apprentice: Los Angeles: To Have and Have Not (season premiere)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 7th 2007 11:17PM

Donald Trump greets the 18 candidates in front of his Los Angeles mansion.

(S06E01) I'm not sure I'm sold on The Apprentice moving to Los Angeles. It sounds stupid, but it boils down to little things for me. Things that feel different that I liked about New York. For instance, remember the way a fired contestant would exit New York? Hop into a cab. It's not the same in Los Angeles. A chauffeured towncar service? It just feels weird to me. That's the best way I can describe it. For most of my thoughts on the premiere and this season in general, check out this Early Look post that I wrote a few weeks ago. However, I've watched the episode again and I've got some fresh thoughts after the jump.

First up, was Trump always this much of a jerk? He was genuinely rude and abrasive on numerous occasions during the episode. Don't read that as me being against it. I think Trump saying "I don't give a damn" is hilarious.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Ivanka. Despite the fact that she's Grade-A eye candy, that's not why I can't take my eyes off of her. It's awkward to listen to her speak, especially when she was giving her thoughts to camera during the car wash challenge. With George or Carolyn, I felt like they were talking. With Ivanka, it's stilted and almost seems as if she's reading thoughts from a prompter or cue card. I can't put my finger on it, but something is just off with her.

I suppose all that's left to talk about it Martin. I was actually disappointed that Trump fired him. Frank made more sense to me. The task boiled down to leadership and Frank kept walking away to make flyers during the challenge. He really did leave his team to make their own decisions. Not to mention that he's loud, cocky, and annoying beyond belief. I agreed with Ivanka's assessment that Martin would not have meshed with her father, but in this instance, I still think Frank should have been fired.

Overall, I was pleased with the premiere. I still think the tent thing is far too much of a gimmick and that it will get old fast, but it is something different I suppose. What do you folks think? Will the move to the west coast bring this show's quality back to the level we saw during the first two seasons? I think there's a shot but we might not see it get better until some of the lesser contestants have been given the boot.

gail

Congratulations Michelle for being the only one to stand up for your dignity. Being able to live in a tent has nothing to do with ones marketing and financial abilities. Whoever is trying to make this show into some reality trash the bachelor or big brother is ruining a good thing. Living outside, expanding on romances, having everyone in swim suits EVERY episode.... what is this??? Baywatch???

January 23 2007 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miranda

I am a Huge Apprentice fan...having said that, I don't think I will be watching this season, as I believe the whole tent-thing is really demeaning. What does "camping" have to do with your business/management skills? And I am not so naive that I don't realize the "psychological" rammifications of tent city but come on Donald, this isn't the military, where you have to be "broken" at first and put in these conditions because you might be fighting for your Life some day! This is a J-O-B and it's TV! What a huge mistake to put these people in tents. Although I wasn't too fond of Michelle, I commend her for "quitting" because she is saving face and respect for herself by not humiliating herself on national TV by living in these silly tents for a job. Isn't that the definition of a whore? I get the regular weekly tasks and the proving yourself (16-week interview), but making these people live outside in the elements to "prove" themselves isn't cool. If Donald had wanted them jump off of a highrise to prove themselves, would they? Where is the line drawn before you can excuse yourself without being called a quitter? You have to have integrity and self-respect and I think ironically, this reality show has lost touch with reality.

January 22 2007 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maureen gibb

We were really disappointed the way Trump reacted to Michelle's quitting. He should have given her the respect she deserved as a person and allowed her to make a carrier decision which she felt was in her best interest. Trump is not omnipotent and his world is not the end all.

January 21 2007 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emmy

I agree with those who think Frank should have been
fired. He was clearly at fault for the team's loss. I get sick of every season having a scape goat. Stacey J.,and Brent come to mind... Not that I think they should have one but it was appalling to see adults act like children

January 16 2007 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carla

Mr. Trump I watched every season. This one is horrible!! I would rather be fired than sleep in a tent!!!!! What idiot came up with that idea? He/She should be fired!! And who's idea was it to let the competition in the board room?! I really have no desire to watch the show anymore.

Mr. Trump you want a good idea for the show? Have all the contestents sleep in their own rooms without having too much contact with each other. Have rules that they can not see each other except on the tasks. Have them all meet in the same place in the morning. Like the real world. Who will be the last one there every day. I would love to see someone sleep in. Then have one of your staff rate them for the day so you have a better idea of who worked hard and who sat around. 0= lazy all day; 1= worked 1/4 the day; 2=worked 1/2 the day; 3= worked 3/4 the day; and 4=worked all day. I'm tired of watching shows where people gang up on each other and get a good hard working person fired.

Well, Thankyou for listening. From a professional Mom who enjoys good entertainment.

January 16 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bird

I just watched Carey get fir ed.
Dear Carey, I (a straight chick with many gal guy pals) liked your suit hereby dare you to find a designer and manufacturer and thousands of buyers, and prove Trump wrong and myopic in not seeing the potential of that suit and that it was worth taking the risk. I hope to see you marketing it at NYC's next Pride weekend. Good luck!

January 15 2007 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

In the Season Premeier, in my opinion, the most inappropriate comment made was by Ivanka who told Martin that he "should have held it". When someone must use the restroom, they must. Ivanka nor Mr. Trump or anyone else knows whether Martin does or does not have a health problem in that regards or just plain had to urinate. We all do this bodily function. To bring this issue up in the Board Room was, in my opinin, totally INAPPROPRIATE. How would Ivanka or Mr. Trump like to be told they can not use the restroom when the need arises? I question the appropriateness of the initial comment of needing to use the restroom being aired to begin with. Martin introducing himself should have been re-done. It did not need to have been heard by millions of viewers. I realize this is entertainment, but this was in very poor taste. Regarding who should have actually been fired--Frank and Martin. Frank does stir the pot. Hopefully, he won't last too much longer.

January 14 2007 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

This show was not good......Id rather watch "The View"

January 10 2007 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cindy mcnicoll

i am an old fat lady who laught at what rosie said; as a comdian she hit it right on, as to what i thought being a women. i always watch trump now i will not suppot him till he stops being an asshole and lighten up. what rosie said is ture. it is donalds past,am i to pretent he did not do those things, donld loves beautiful thing and young women, i was glad, it seemed he was watching out for the girls because they are beutifull, but now i think he thinks he smater then everyone else and that we don't know the emperor has no cloths on. Donald you are only as good as we let you be. NOT WATCHING YOUR SHOW till you make nice will not give you money to be mean

January 09 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Williams

Why are you discussing this show as if it where real? The whole thing is staged! Every situation every argument. Someone said it looks like Trump's daughter was reading off a prompter, of course she was. Do you really think she is spending her day observing these actors?. She rides up in her limo reads her lines and than it's off for some shopping in Beverly Hills! Also don't worry about the tents do you really think they are living in there, again staged. I can't believe anyone would think this is anything more than TV entertainment.

Get real people Trump is just hanging on to this to make money. Even Trump needs a paycheck!!!

January 09 2007 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply