April 18, 2014

The Real World eyes Sydney

by Julia Ward, posted Jan 8th 2007 4:09PM
Sydney Real WorldReality Blurred is reporting that ads for production assistants have popped in Australia for a possible Real World production down under. While the ads aren't always the best indication that The Real World will be taking up residence in your town, they do come courtesy of the show's production company Bunim-Murray.

The Real World hasn't been abroad since their lackluster London and Paris seasons, but seeing how dramatically the show has changed since the seminal Las Vegas season of debauchery, a trip to Sydney is bound to play like an over-privileged college kid's junior year abroad. They'll be lucky if the brain trust they send down there does anything but marvel at the lower drinking age and the availability of beer other than Foster's.

Actually, it's a pretty wise move to beat it for foreign shores. The alternative newsweeklies in American cities, like The Stranger in Seattle, have made it harder and harder for the Real World crew to shoot without interruption and open hostility from the locals. Even wiser would be putting together a cast with no Americans. While the whole world is hip to the reality television game, there's got to be some chance that an all Aussie Real World would actually surprise us in some way. Their arguments about race and sexuality would, at the very least, have to be different, and they've had a few more years practice holding their liquor. In the end what I think this show really needs is a Jim Halpert - an audience surrogate who can occasionally turn to the camera, lift his eyebrows and give us conspiratorially "I know, WTF" look. It would make all the difference in the (real) world.

Billy

I think you should air the 20th season in Atlantic City, NJ or possibley Ocean City,NJ i am a real big fan of this show and i want it to be close to me. Email me your thoughts rookie112094@aim.com thank you!!!

March 18 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan German

You may have heard this before but nobody drinks Fosters here. It all a marketing ploy for beer that is actually made in Canada. might also note that beachless are all topless and there are even a couple of nude beaches here too.

January 09 2007 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

London WAS NOT a lackluster season; nothing could have lived up to the vapid shallowness that was Puck, the angry homosexual rantings of Pedro, and the deluded beauty of Rachel. San Francisco was just TOO MUCH... London was a breather after all that drama. Lars was by far the most interesting cast member EVER and I, for one, thought London was pretty interesting.

January 08 2007 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Martin

This information was first revealed on the MM Agency blog where the agency was contacted by someone in Sydney who saw the job posting.

Also new information came out today that Jewel had an opportunity to be a cast member on the Real World during the earlier seasons which you can verify at http://www.mm-agency.com/blog/

January 08 2007 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Martin

The MM Agency received the job posting information first as seen on the Real World Sydney post.

Also new information came out today that Jewel had an opportunity to be a cast member on the Real World during the earlier seasons, you can see this at the Real World Road Rules blog

January 08 2007 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I remember when the Real World came to my hometown (Seattle), and it seemed as if everyone in the city wanted to form a lynch mob. No one wanted them around. Of course, I was 11 and thought that MTV was like totally the coolinest.

The Real World is so far from what I was used to. Boston, New Orleans, Seattle (maybe I'm a little biased), and Philadelphia were the only seasons that were tolerable.

I feel so old now. And I'm only 20.

January 08 2007 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply