October 24, 2014

The Simpsons: The Wife Aquatic

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 8th 2007 11:15AM

marge simpson(S18E10)

Homer and Bart are trapped on a sinking boat:

Homer: [to captain, whispering loudly] Should I hit him with a shovel to spare him the pain of drowning?

Captain: [also whispering] Not yet.

Homer: [whispering] What's the code word?

Damn you, football. You almost made me miss this episode. Luckily, I also Tivoed American Dad, so I was able to catch the last half of this episode, which aired during the time American Dad would have normally started. That's one of the dangers of recording everything I watch.

I thought this was one of the best episodes of The Simpsons I had seen in a long time. It was funny, had some great action sequences, and it even tugged at the ol' heartstrings a little bit. I really felt for Marge as she pined for the idealistic island she remembered from her youth, and was on the edge of my seat when Bart and Homer were trapped in the midst of a "perfect storm," which, oddly enough, was not unlike the movie A Perfect Storm. Fancy that.

Okay, here's a question for anyone reading this: am I correct in assuming that the home movie of Marge as a little girl and the music that went with it was lifted from The Prince of Tides? It's obviously a spoof of something, and that's the only connection I could make, but I haven't seen The Prince of Tides since it came out and I'm pretty sure my brain erased most of it so as not to drive me to suicide.

Some of you may recall that the season thirteen episode "Blame it on Lisa" caught some flak for not portraying Brazil in a positive light, a little fact that made this exchange between Bart and Lisa even more funny as they approach the island and find it's now a smelly trash heap:

Lisa: This is the most disgusting place we've ever gone.

Bart: What about Brazil?

Lisa: After Brazil.

I still say The Simpsons showed Japan in a much more negative light, but I digress.

Two questions: Are Kurt and Luanne back together? I know they got back together in "Milhouse of Sand and Fog," but did that stick? Also, is this the first we've seen of Patty's baby since she was first adopted in the season sixteen episode "Goo Goo Gai Pan?" Hey, I'm a fan, but I don't have a photographic memory.

Lastly, how many of you caught the joke about a young Marge naming the seahorse on the Merry-Go-Round "Mr. Funny Good Feeling?" That was the biggest laugh of the episode for me.

Other great moments:

• Flanders religious pamphlets that read, "You will die in sin."
  • The silent film shown at the beginning, and the card within it that read, "Twa-hooooooot!" just in case you didn't know what a whistle sounds like.
  • Homer hanging upside down with a hook in his nose, and smiling as people have their picture taken with him.
  • Homer gleefully clubbing a pile of fish in slow motion.

smilerz

Wikipedia does a pretty good job of capturing a lot of the references and miscellaneous trivia.
The entry for this episode is here.

The music was The Aquarium and this was Ling's 3rd appearance.

January 11 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jess

Patty's baby has in fact been seen since she was adopted in Season 16. She was shown in the Season 17(?) episode "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore." Which I only remember because I watched it 4 or 18 times. I love me some Richard Dean Anderson.

January 10 2007 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

Was a good episode, had some old Simpsons feel to it.

I've seen much worst episodes from the last 3 seasons. This one actually had some laughs.

January 09 2007 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RR

Worst Simpsons episode ever. I've been watching for 17 years and have never encountered an unfunny episode. This one was totally devoid of any humor at all. It was like they fired all the comedy writers and got someone from the fox drama department to write it. I hope this isn't a trend - taking the humour OUT of the simpsons.

@Paul #18 - what kind of idiotic question is that? GhaleonQ and myself are FANS of the simpsons, but not fanboys like you. We can like a show and still call out a totally garbage episode if it happens.

January 09 2007 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

GhaleonQ: Why on earth would you continue to watch a show you think is awful? It's baffling to me. If I don't like a show, I will not watch it again.

And "Christian demonizing"? Please. I didn't feel I was demonized at all.

Finally, there was an episode that I felt stands up to some of the classic seasons. I've actually quite enjoyed many of the recent seasons (if not as much as the "classic" years, certainly more than other shows), but this episode was really solid.

January 09 2007 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

First of all, it was definitely "The Aquarium." It is fairly famous, after all.

As for the episode itself, well, I thought that it was the worst ever. Sure, it wasn't funny, butchered the characters, and had awful writing like the others, but this time, there was worse-than-usual animation (the fish were drawn in a completely different style than the characters), the timing was atrocious, there was environmentalism preaching (even a genuinely tragic ending) and Christian demonizing, and the accompanying drawings were pathetic.

So, yeah, a new low for "The Simpsons."

January 08 2007 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dgbellak

Nope; the music is definitely "Aquarium". Appropriate, no? I only remember that music because Disneyland's Space Mountain uses it set to a surf-rock beat. Strange.

January 08 2007 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

There's a good chance the music is actually a "spoof" of some other work and not the work itself. That's typically how The Simpsons does things like that. I could be wrong, though. I listened to a sample of "Aquarium" on Amazon, but I don't think it's the same song. Again, I could be wrong.

Adam (the guy who wrote the review)

January 08 2007 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

"Lastly, how many of you caught the joke about a young Marge naming the seahorse on the Merry-Go-Round "Mr. Funny Good Feeling?""

OMG. I nearly swallowed my tongue laughing at that. One of those 'I feel really dirty for laughing so hard at this' moments.

January 08 2007 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NovaTheCat

I think the music was from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

January 08 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply