August 30, 2014

Two new shows from MythBusters creators

by Julia Ward, posted Jan 8th 2007 2:31PM
Mythbusters hostsThe production team behind the Discovery Channel's MythBusters have two new shows in the works for the science-loving channel. First up is Prototype This, a 13-part series that looks at the viability of gadgets seen in sci-fi movies. As in, they'll actually try to build some of these futuristic marvels. I'm sure the military will be ecstatic. I'll just take my Jetsons personalized jet pack and robot maid, thank you very much.

The second show, Cool Stuff: How It Works, is a four-part series that takes a look at how the wonders of the modern world work - fireproof suits, robotic bomb detonators, etc. No word on whether or not they'll be able to explain TiVo, the electoral college or how a penalty kick shootout is fair, but they're smart guys. I'm sure they'll get around to it.

Oxy

Few shows make me gasp, laugh, gag and cheer -- sometimes all in one episode -- more than 'MythBusters' I saw on http://abbmp3.com/ music search engine.

September 15 2010 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annettebarnes

Is it true you can shoot a tire out with a arrow.Or shoot on top of the hood of a car with any kind of gun.Will it stop the engine.Like in the movies can you try these. On MythBusters

April 19 2010 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikaela

I am used to writing articles for the journals which might be found at http://www.pdfqueen.com the pdf search engine on periodical and ebooks. Now I'd like to write for blogs, how can I do that?

February 12 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shaun

does anyone know when prototype this is actually airing?

January 28 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kane52

cool i love MB that is a very intelegant shw lets just hope that these two new shows are almost as good as MB im looking forward to the show prtotype personaly i dont think that the other one will take off so well but the best of luck to both lol.

January 30 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Brady

I have an acquaintance who is somewhat involved with the production of "Prototype This", and from his description the show sounds like a lot of fun. Though it may not be part of the final format, part of the host tryouts involved taking a group of skilled, tech-savvy people and throwing a problem at them, something like "Design a car air bag system". From his descriptions, it sounded a little bit of "Junkyard Wars"/"Scrapheap Challenge" only with better resources and tools for the participants. No idea if it'll be competitive or not - personally, I hope not lest it be immediately compared to those prior shows.

Incidentally, the "production team" mentioned is Beyond Television, which also produces the long-running "Beyond 2000"/"Beyond Tomorrow" series.

January 09 2007 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

While the shows will be interesting, I dont think they'll be able to capture the same 'it' that MythBusters has. The chemistry between Jamie and Adam will be hard to duplicate.

The new shows are from the creator of the program, and will not feature the same hosts... while I will not dismiss it right away, I hardly think it will be as fun as MB remains.

January 08 2007 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam in the SLC

Cool Stuff sounds awesome. I hope the shows are in the same spirit as MB, not some cheap knock-off.

January 08 2007 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

hear hear! PK shootouts are teh ubersuck.

i can't wait for Prototype This.

January 08 2007 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply