August 27, 2014

Suzanne Somers' home destroyed by fire

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 9th 2007 5:21PM
Suzanne Somers' homeOur corporate cousins at TMZ.com are reporting that the Malibu home of Suzanne Somers was destroyed by a fire today. The fire swept through a number of beachfront properties in the tony California town; the site also confirms that the home of Susan Anton was also destroyed.

Other people who live in the Malibu Colony area, where the fire is occurring, are Mel Gibson, Pierce Brosnan, Pamela Anderson, Barbra Streisand, Ted Danson, David Geffen and Courtney Cox-Arquette. What I find interesting is how often brush fires, mudslides, and other disasters destroy houses out there in Malibu. Is living on the beach worth the headaches that seem to happen year after year over there? I don't know who's more of a masochist; the people who don't move out of a flood plain or people who pay millions of dollars for houses built on a beach. I think it's a tie.

Emily

Tucker, you funny!

January 10 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David H Dennis

Malibu is a stunningly beautiful place to live, especially in contrast to Los Angeles' other housing options. Generally, the nicer a place is to live (in the hills or the ocean), the more expensive it is and the more prone to hazards it is.

Most of the owners of homes on Malibu Road or the Malibu Colony also have other homes further inland, in places like Beverly Hills. Although there are some people who live on Malibu Road who are not wealthy(*), for the overwhelming majority of them this is just a minor inconvenience.

In fact, for many people worth in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, rebuilding their homes every decade or so is a nice hobby.

For a while, I worked for a very nice business owner whose hobby seemed to be remodeling her business premises and house every couple of years. Her office building was damaged by that tiresome earthquake a few years back; her response was to remodel it more beautifully and elaborately than ever.

I would certainly not hesitate to buy on Malibu Road; I would love my house and I'd make sure it was well insured, at least until I entered the world of the super-rich.

D

(*) Well, anyone who lives on Malibu road is wealthy. The lots are worth US$2 million plus. But I mean "except for their homes".

January 09 2007 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

It's a shame when anyone loses their home - no matter where it is or who they are.

January 09 2007 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

It must have been started from the friction of her thighmaster.

January 09 2007 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

It's funny I just drove through PCH Sunday and you know it really is worth the headache, if you saw the beach and all of these nice houses that you would understand.

January 09 2007 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill reilly

I HAVE NO SYMPATHY FOR ANY OF THOSE IDIOTS WHO KEEP REBUILDING IN A KNOWN WILDFIRE ZONE,THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS COLLECTING ANY INSURENCE MONEY SINCE THEY ARE WELL AWARE OFTHE DANGER.

January 09 2007 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill reilly

I PERSONALLY DONT FEEL SORRY FOR ANY OF THOSE IDIOTS WHO CONTINUE TO BUILD IN THE SAME AREA DESPITE THE FACT THAT WILD FIRES ARE A FACT OF LIFE,IN FACT,IF I WERE AN INSURENCE COMPANY OUT THERE,I WOULD REFUSE TO PAY OUT ANY MONEY SINCE THEASE PEOPLE WERE WELL AWARE OF THE DANGERS.

January 09 2007 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply