September 21, 2014

BSG producers confirm they're making a movie - UPDATE

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 10th 2007 8:29AM
bsg logoIn this spoiler-filled article (read at your own risk - seriously!) in the Chicago Tribune, the producers of Battlestar Galactica confirm they are making a 2-hour movie between seasons 3 and 4. The news ends a few weeks of speculation. David Eick and Ron Moore say the movie will go straight to DVD and also air on SciFi. It will be a stand-alone flick that doesn't wrap up what is sure to be a freaking huge-ass cliffhanger at the end of the current season. The producers say the movie will probably be some sort of back story. The Chicago Tribune story is a little dated, though. In it, the producers say they'll only do a movie if they get a fourth season, but that has already happened.

By the way, BSG returns with new episodes on Sunday, January 21st at 10 pm. There's a season 3 marathon on SciFi on January 15th.

chris w

There will be a SEASON 4!!! I guarantee it.

January 21 2007 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Longta71

Heres and idea 4 a 2hr movie. I dont know about the rest of u but i got hooked on the Pegasus. Maybe going back and showing how the pegasus escaped the cylon attack would be awesome.

January 20 2007 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Yes I know...but it is that blasted unreliable ratings set-up they have is what worries me. I'll be looking for your review on Monday.

January 20 2007 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

tim-1,

Season 4 has not been announced yet because SciFi is waiting to see ratings for the rest of season 3. Expect an announcement in late Feb.

January 20 2007 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

cress d: I saw your favorite Babe's Playboy article/pic today. As I said before....you have good taste! She is an immensely attractive woman.

Like you, I encourage the faithful to tune in with large numbers. I am getting a little nervous that they have not made a fourth season official yet!

January 18 2007 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Tim-1: You may be right as well. Limited screentime for Sackhoff could just mean she was off shooting the seminal film of our generation--WHITE NOISE 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO(ha ha :). I really enjoy Sackhoff immensely. And you're right, there are many loose ends to tie up w/ her storyline. BSG without Starbuck...that just doesn't sound good to me. Now, as far as Dee is concerned....please end her storyline soon, or give her something to do fraks sake.

4 DAYS AND COUNTING...Everyone PLEASE PLEASE watch it live(even if you are TIVOing it). Ratings, ratings, ratings....I pray to the gods that Dresden Files has good numbers, and BSG will as well.

January 18 2007 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

cress d: Don't mean to butt in, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I of course am refering to my last post (#18) with the "Absent while making movie theory" I posed the possibility hoping any of the faithful may have an opinion if this seemed plausible. You know, some feel that a Sackhoff exit from the show would not be such a loss, but I disagree. While not my favorite character, I think she is too far woven into the show for us not to miss her. If the writers do her character right, she is a dominant factor in the BSG world. And do not forget....there are still some loose ends with her that have not been resolved yet, i.e. the "farm" episode in the removal of her ovories, and for what purpose?

January 17 2007 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Dorv---are you pondering maybe a "resurrection" as a Cylon model for Sackhoff that I had mentioned in a previous post? It may be a stretch(and I'm sure Akbar has ammunition to shoot me down on this theory)...but, you never know. BSG is full of surprises.

January 17 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Thank you cress d.

Dorv: Here is a thought. We are all aware that Sackhoff was off to make that movie last year. I do not recall the name of the movie. Anyway, perhaps it is possible that during the shooting of the BSG episodes, she had to be absent from the studios to make room for her movie. This could be the time slot in the series that she had to film the movie! It is not unheard of in the tv/movie business. This could be a neat way for the writers to "pocket" her from the show temporarily and at the same time have a litte fun with us. It is just a theory of course.

January 16 2007 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Hey everyone!(and that's to those that loathe my comments and to those who are receptive to them). I do believe that a Season 4 will happen(gut-instinct). We wouldn't even be talking about the prospect of cancellation if BSG had better numbers during the first half of this season. I really believe SciFI went all out in promoting this season as its breakthrough season, where it would attract more viewers, but that hasn't happened :( Was it the 6-7 month break between Seas. 2 and Seas. 3? The move to 2AM(--2AM!!!) during this period to rebroadcast previous eps.? The fact that they premiered Seas. 3 in Oct. during the big fall premieres of all the major broadcast networks?(big mistake imo). SciFi would be idiots to cancel their most critically acclaimed series EVER!!!! But it is SciFi, home of(sigh) ECW and $5 budgeted crapfest SciFi "event"(ha) movies. BSG brings credibility to this network. But it seems that Bonnie Hammer doesn't care about any of that. Its sad that the barbaric nielsen ratings gauge the popularity of a series. How about BSG being one of the most purchased series at ITUNES? You know, I heard that saved a brilliant little series called THE OFFICE a couple years ago from cancellation. :) The point is NBC/UNIVERSAL/SciFI needs to look at the larger picture. There is a HUGE fanbase for this series. To end its run now, after its most brilliant season to date(IMO), would be a sad, sad day. And if its ratings that SciFi is looking for, these things can take time, but eventually huge returns on your investment will come. And I can think of of quite a few series(and I'm sure you guys out there can as well) that struggled in its first few seasons to become rating juggernauts.
I'm sorry I'm not commenting on story subplots or character storyline arcs, but BSG surviving for another season(or more) is my major concern right now. If BSG leaves SciFi anytime soon, SO WILL I! Simply because there is nothing else like it on that network, or any other network for that matter. PERIOD!

Tim-1, Dorv, Akbar..always enjoy reading your posts.....

January 14 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply