September 20, 2014

Yvonne DeCarlo dead at 84

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 10th 2007 12:59PM

Just heard this on my local news but I can't find anything about it online except here. Yvonne De Carlo, probably most famous for her role as Lily on the comedy-horror series The Munsters, died at the age of 84.

That's the way TV fans will remember her, but she had quite a body of work in film as well, including roles in The Ten Commandments, The Desert Hawk, The Power, and Satan's Cheerleaders (great title!). She also starred in tons of TV shows, including Roots, Fantasy Island, Burke's Law, Murder, She Wrote, Dream On, Tales From The Crypt, The Girl From U.N.C.L.E., The Name of the Game, and The Virginian.

Her last role (besides a documentary a few years ago) was in the TV movie The Barefoot Executive.

Rita

Despite the rather rude comment above - Yvonne leaves behind a comedic legacy the like of which will never (for better or worse!) be seen again!

February 04 2007 at 6:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michaeljohndudley

Yvonne DeCarlo was also engaged to the Shah of Iran. She wrote her biography in the late 1970's and it is a wonderful book. My opinion is to get it at your local library and read it.

January 28 2007 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron Laurence

I had the displeasure of working with Yvonne in 1970, in a national tour of "Hello Dolly". Not only was she totally miscast as Dolly, but her onstage antics were very unprofessional, and she totally alienated the entire acting company of almost 40 people! She and I had it out one night on stage, when I upstaged her horribly, and she obviously never forgot it. A year later, I was backstage at Follies on B'way, visiting my dear friend Mary McCarty, who happened to be sharing a dressing room with Yvonne. I did like Yvonne in Follies, a lot, and I told her so. She was very gracious. But a few minutes later, she realized who I was, and what had transpired between us, and became enraged and started screaming at me. Mary quickly ushered me out into the hall, in hopes of DeCarlo calming down.
She was not a wonderful musical performer at all, and her onstage behavior was very unprofessional throughout the run of the show. What she was best known for, was Lillie Munster. And I must truthfully say, that she truly was.....a Munster! Adios Yvonne!

January 15 2007 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hef

What a great tv show , the sixties had it all . All of us in Vancouver will miss you Lilly .

January 13 2007 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bert Eaton

Not only was Yvonne DeCarlo a great actress but her singing was just as good. Hollywood does not like republicans so she never won any awards or got publicity but her passion for life, willingness to be herself and energy kept her going after many of her friends had left this earth. God bless you Yvonne, you will be sorely missed and always remembered.....

January 12 2007 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT SMITH

I AM A VIRGIN TO THIS. BUT HAD TO COMMENT THAT; I CAN'T BELIEVE A GENUINE MOVIE,TVAND BROADWAY STAR LIKE THE GREAT YVONNE DECARLO HAS TO SHARE THE HEADLINES WITH ASSHOLES OF THE CENTURY;DONALD TRUMP AND ROSIE O'DONNEL.WHAT A WASTE OF GOOD SPACE. I SAY IT'S JUST A CHEAP PUBLICITY STUNT TO BOOST THE RATINGS OF THE APPRENTICE AND THE VIEW. IT' WORKING.R SO SAD,IT MAKES ME SICK. SHAME ON YOU TRUMP AND O'DONNEL AND ANYONE ELSE THAT ENCOURAGES THIS NONSENSE.PUT YOUR ENERGIES TO GOOD USE PLEASE.

January 11 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy Goodmann

It is amazing to see how clever and well written these older tv comedies were written especially in relation to the current junk with laugh tracks that is not even remotely funny.
In a way it was too bad that the munsters was in black in white as opposed to color - yet this probably allowed more flexibility and ability to do things that in color that may have been very difficult.
Just out of interest - the original pilot was done in color.

January 11 2007 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JP

A shame? Mizz deCarlo was 84 years old. It was time. I can only hope that I go by then.

January 10 2007 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
N-Word

What a shame she was awesome.

January 10 2007 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply