April 24, 2014

Comedy website accuses SNL of stealing

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 11th 2007 4:27PM
snl trailerThe comedy website Stash Wax has declared war on Lorne Michaels and Saturday Night Live. The site accuses Michaels of ripping off its joke about Mel Gibson's anti-semitic tirade over the summer. In fact, it has sent an official cease and desist order to SNL and NBC to take the spoof off its website.

Stash Wax has links to both its NSFW parody and the SNL one. Stash Wax recut Gibson's trailer for Braveheart back in July when he was arrested for drunk driving. They dubbed over the voices to make it look like a war movie against the Jews. The SNL parody of Gibson was a recut of the Apocalypto trailer to make it look like an extermination of the Jews. I have to admit that I laughed harder at the Apocalypto one. Is it a rip-off? I'm not convinced. I think the Apocalypto trailer was an obvious target for comedians at the time.

Watch the two spoofs and sound off in comments.

[Via TV Tattle]

Anthony Lynch

This story is gonna put their site stats throught the roof.
Then after it all blows over they might keep some of the people who checked it out.
The StashWax people are just being dicks.

January 12 2007 at 5:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

We cut a Mel Gibson movie terribly. SNL cut a different Mel Gibson movie better. What the heck? Are the StashWax people stupid? They hold court over anyone spoofing Mel Gibson films, come on. That is just stupid. It isn't even funny as a prank for attention. Its just stupid.

January 11 2007 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey

Cry me a river...

I watched both videos and I think the folks at Stash Wax are full of it and just trying to drum up some buzz for their website.

January 11 2007 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

*points to number 2*

January 11 2007 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Does Stash Wax have a copyright on predictable, unfunny comedy?

January 11 2007 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Honestly...I laughed at neither.

January 11 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply