October 26, 2014

AMC's Hustle comes to Vegas, baby - TCA Report

by Kevin Kelly, posted Jan 12th 2007 6:20PM
Hustle - check to see if your wallet is still thereI have to say this right off the bat ... I love con jobs. Anything about 'em from movies like David Mamet's House of Games to books like 'Bringing Down the House'. Seeing a really deserving 'mark' getting hooked by 'the lure,' then getting drawn in by 'the roper' and to have the whole plan come together (a la Hannibal from The A-Team) is really satisfying. See how I know all the lingo? That's how cool I am, thus making me the biggest mark of all, because I'm arrogant and annoying -- although not rich, so maybe I'm safe.

Anyhow, AMC's continuing original series Hustle comes to Las Vegas this season (April 18th to be exact) and picks up Robert Wagner as a special guest star along the way. He stars as a collector of Hollywood memorabilia, and thus the con is on as Danny promises to bring him the Hollywood sign. Whoops.

Quotes of the panel:
  • Someone asked the cast if they had ever been conned, to which Robert Wagner replied "Well, we're here ... aren't we?" Zing! Unfortunately I can't stop picturing him with an eyepatch and reporting to Dr. Evil.
  • Robert Wagner was asked about clashing egos when working on a tv series, and he said he wished his was bigger so that he could impress co-star Jaime Murray. So calmly replied, "I told you darling, it's not the size of the trailer ..."

VSJ

I love this show - if Hustle was an "American" program with an American cast, set in New York or Miami, it would probably be on a major network in prime time.

January 13 2007 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Adams

Hustle, along with MI-5(Spooks) are two of the best shows of its kind on TV. Now, if AMC would only pick up MI-5 instead of letting it linger on A & E, where it's chopped to shreds if they run it at all, I'd be happy.

January 13 2007 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Kelly

#5 - Um, I'm going to take a real wild stab here and guess you didn't read the article. Robert WAGNER is guest starring on Hustle this season. Man, talk about doing your homework and learning to spell Wagner...

January 12 2007 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

Robert Wagnor??????
Someone didn't do their homework.
It is actually Robert Vaughn.

January 12 2007 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLM

Actually, having Robert Wagner on Hustle is a natural since Hustle was clearly inspired by the television series "Switch" (which Wagner starred in with Eddie Albert and Sharon Gless). I remember watching this show when I was very young and believing it to be pure genius. Of course this was because I went to movie theaters to see G-rated Disney movies instead of "The Sting".

Maybe they could bring in Harold Gould and make it a real 70s reunion!

January 12 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

Hustle is an original BBC series, distributed in the US by AMC. There's no word from the BBC when S4 will air but it will air here before the US and April is slightly optimistic as it tends to be an Autumn (Fall) show here

January 12 2007 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

You figured rightly. Hustle airs on BBC. Three series have aired so far and a fourth is set to air this year. It's from the same makers as Spooks (aka, MI-5 on BBC America).

January 12 2007 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Is Hustle really an original series? I figured it was a British show that AMC had US distro rights to.

oh...
never use a preposition to end a sentence with.

January 12 2007 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply