April 20, 2014

Men in Trees: The Darkest Day

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 12th 2007 11:21AM
men in trees(S01E12) It's been more than a month since we've seen a new episode of Men in Trees. The last one was a two-parter that started in NYC and ended back in Elmo, Alaska with a very complicated plot twist. Jack's girlfriend, Lynn (Justine Bateman) is back... and she's pregnant. Plus, Annie and Patrick broke up for real this time.

The title of this week's episode refers to the winter solstice, the darkest day in Alaska, so you know it's going to be a downer.

Teresa talked Lynn into staying, making Justine Bateman a permanent cast member. Lynn's reason is that it "takes a village" to raise a child, but it was only an excuse because she really wanted to stay and try to get Jack back. She even instigated a kiss with him, which freaked him out and he admitted to her that he's in love with Marin. But the truth is he is in love with both women.Marin cuts herself loose from the love triangle, breaking her own heart and Jack's heart.

Patrick is in agony without Annie. In my opinion, he is the one who is wrong. He got wrapped up in his new family and caused Annie to feel left out. Then he went running to his mother, which made matters worse. Annie (rightfully) accused him of not being a man.

I wasn't quite sure how Celia's fling with her superior was supposed to fit in until the end... She has sex with him and then hides the relationship from Patrick because she doesn't have time for anyone but him. No wonder Patrick has never had the chance to grow up. She sees him as a 9-year old boy. Luckily, Patrick sees that his mother is overbearing and he cuts her loose. He reunited with Annie at the end with a hug and kiss.

The end of the episode re-opens a third love triangle: Sarah is back. I worry that the storylines are going to get stale. All it seems to be up there in Alaska is love triangles.

On a sidenote: The timeline here has me confused. Marin said that Jack left her a voicemail three days ago, which was on Thanksgiving night, remember? And now it's winter solstice (Dec. 21)? Details, details.

lizamc

I am unhappy with the way Men In Trees is being handled by ABC. If you feel the same, PLEASE let ABC know by clicking on the "contact us" link at the bottom of their www.abc.com page.

March 01 2007 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue sroka

Men in trees,
I posted on Feb. 9, 2007. I guess I was so
upset I spelled the word wrong.
My posting was to read: "I love show and it is the
the only show I watch. Please do not mess it up
and make it a GAY show. Lord knows we have a lot of
that in all the other TV shows. It would be very nice
if ONE SHOW did not have a GAY reference pushed on us.
Sue Sroka

February 17 2007 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue sroka

For the show Men in Trees.
I Love this show and it is the only show that I
watch. PLEASE do not mess it up and make a GUY
show out of it. Lord knows we have a lot of that in all the other TV shows. It would be very nice if ONE show did NOT have guy reference pushed on us.

February 09 2007 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandy evans

I love "Men In Trees" and did since the first show. I knew it would be a hit. It concerns me though when they move a good show around to differents days making it hard to keep up with it.

January 18 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

"where was her son?"

I'm guessing his grand parents?

I'm glad Sara is back because I've missed her and Marin's girl talks but I don't look forward another love triangle.

Patrick's love sick attitude was awful and good at once. Awful because he really looked like crap (kudos to the make up department) and good because story wise he grew out of it and reunited with Annie (kudos to the writing team for making her stand up for what she thought, felt and expected from Patrick and herself).

Jack....poo poo to Mr "I love two women, it never happens to me". Grow a pair now would ya?
On the other hand it's been a while since I've seen a male character this confused about how he feels so even if I'm unhappy with the storyline I have to admit it's *somewhat* refreshing. But I'm not happy with it.

What really bugs is Bateman. For the love of me I don't know how that woman can be called an actress. I didn't watch Family Ties and Arrested Development but I've heard she was in those. From all the praise these shows got I figured she ought to be good acting was but I don't see it here. I can't even say she's phoning it in since I don't see acting at all to begin with.
It'd be easy to say it's because I don't want a triangle or anything between Jack and Marin but I'd have less of a problem if I saw and felt a connection between Lynn and Jack but I don't because of the acting. It bugs and taints the sweet entertainment this show usually brings.

I really hope she is not a regular.

Celia and her superior? Meh. I like Celia and wish her the best but meh.

What I don't get is why Jane and Sam (Plow Guy) broke up? The distance?
I get it but at the same time I remember their conversation on the dock where he said he'd get ADSL just to contact her and him agreeing to her terms of being a "busy lady". The send off of their storyline seemed rushed. Of course it was made obvious that she already misses him so I hope to see more of them together later but still...something in the writing didn't jive with me.

Plus, I would have like a scene where Sam and Marin meet and exchange their sad aborted love stories. Not a long scene but something between them would have been nice and fitting imo.

All in all a downer of an episode indeed.

January 12 2007 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alice

"Marin said that Jack left her a voicemail three days ago, which was on Thanksgiving night, remember?"

Marin just got her cell phone back - she had packed it in her bag which was lost when her flight was cancelled. She first *heard* the message three days before that conversation.

I love Currie Graham in the role of Celia's supervisor! It's a nice little send-up of his role on NYPD Blue. Oh! And when he turned to her and asked her if Patrick was "challenged" - I snorted ice cream on that one.

My question is this: They show Sarah getting off the bus, but where was her son?

January 12 2007 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply