December 21, 2014

Sci Fi Channel dropping 400 hours of original content this year - TCA Report

by Kevin Kelly, posted Jan 12th 2007 2:03PM
sci fi logoThe Sci Fi chanel has their hands full this year, with a ton of original programming coming down the pipeline, which can probably be attributed to what I'm calling the Battlestar Galactica effect. That's a whole different channel from what debuted in 1992 as a place for Paramount and Universal to recycle old material.

Helping to buoy up the 400 hours will be Sci Fi Saturday: The Most Dangerous Night on Television, which debuts an original movie every Saturday. They showed us a couple of teasers, which actually pretty slick.

Draugnar

Hey KevinC... The big deal is it is across from 24 AND Two and a Half Men. So, even with a dual tuner DVR, I could still watch all three shows. Now I'm going to miss this weeks show (the DVR had it listed until Tuesday as being on this Friday) and I have to give up 2.5 Men.

So it is a big deal if you love 24 (most Heroes fans are also 24 fans) and can only handle one show at a time, or if you also like another show on Monday night.

I know NBC is trying to draw a crowd to the dreadful "Deal or No Deal" by putting sneak peaks, o now they have decided to go after DoND's competition (How I Met Your Mother) by hitting it's "sister" show 2.5 Men. Well, it won't work here. I'll program the VCR in the back room for 2.5 Men and still watch HIMYM on the DVR. DoND just sucks...

February 15 2007 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Hi my name is Sarah and I was very interested in your sci-fi channel. I find it quite interesting and I thought of someone that you might like to have on that channel. His name is Ronnie McMullen and he has just wrote a book called Sold Out Warning. You've probably heard of it. Anyways his book is about the alien agenda and UFO's in the United States and elsewhere. He has been on many Radio Shows and has been rated as one of the best guests in years. Also in his books he talks of some terrible abductions that happen to people all the time. If you are interested in having him on your show I could also arrange for an abductee to appear with him. You decide. I happen to have personal contact with this person so if you are interested please let me know. My phone number is 928-775-5466 or you can email me back. Thank you for your time.

Sarah

January 30 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

In addition to that wrestling show, I recall the SciFi Channel re-airring 4 episodes of Law and Order.

Isn't the SciFi Channel related to NBC?

January 17 2007 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DaveZ

Drop the drop. It is not cool.

January 13 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

What is TCA Report ????????

I cannot believe you used "Dropping" in the 80's break dancing vernacular.

The Sci-Fi movies are horrible. Please tell me which teasers? I've sat through a few of the movies, and they are beyond cheese.

Joshua you forgot Eureka which did wonderful ratings.

What is the big deal with Heroes - Watch it on NBC. I don't understand why NBC would want its ratings pulled down by people waiting for the re-run on Sci-Fi. Since Heroes is now a hit, they need to keep the ratings up on their network basic common sense.

January 12 2007 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Considering all of the Sci-Fi moview and TV shows from the past ... I wish they would air things like MACROSS, or Battle of the Planets, or StarBlazers, or any of the Thunderbirdsmovies, or Space 1999, etc ... etc ...

I still don't get that wrestling show ... WTF?!?!

January 12 2007 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cade

#4 Josh-- Please don't make desparaging remarks about Bruce Campbell. He is definately one of the greatest thespians of our time. The way he brought Elvis back in Bubba Ho-tep was magical, and don't forget shop smart shop S-mart

January 12 2007 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Those Saturday original movies generally aren't very good, but based on an article in the Washington Post several years ago, the formula they have developed has produced a very favorable return on what they invest, so I'm not surprised they're doing more.

January 12 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Why would you use a word like "dropping" when the exact opposite is the case? Maybe it's hip industry-banter, but leave that stuff to "Variety", please?

On the subject, I'd have to say I'm underwhelmed by most of Sci-Fi's "original" content. 3 or 4 Friday night shows, even if one of them is the excellent "BSG", don't make up for the cheesy stuff they're producing in all the other non-rerun timeslots. I also wish they would have continued running the "Heroes" episodes. It's a perfect match for the network, and it made SENSE to air these a second time. I wish the networks understood this. Not all of us want to watch network TV we couldn't record the first time on video iPods or fuzzy images on our computer screens.

January 12 2007 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I misread that headline too. When a network "drops" a show it doesn't mean adding more episodes.

Glad to hear the increase in original SCIFI content though...

January 12 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply