July 24, 2014

The Golden Globes: Best Actor - Drama

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 12th 2007 10:58AM

Kiefer Sutherland, after winning best actor at the 2002 Globes.Down to the nitty gritty. Sure, supporting actors supplement a show and often times turn in performances that trump the leads. Usually, though, it's the leading man (or woman) that carries a show for the long haul. You know an award means something when it's either handed out right away at the ceremony (so you miss it before you tune in) or it's saved right until near the end so that you have to sit through all the other awards you don't care about to get to it. You know it's important if you're willing to let your butt go numb from sitting too long to see who wins. The best actor in a television drama is one of those awards.

This year's competition isn't as tight as I think it could have been. First off, I'm appalled that Michael Chiklis didn't get a nom for his portrayal of Vic Mackey in the latest season of The Shield. It was hands down his best performance since the first season. Likewise, I'm very surprised that no one from The Wire received a nomination. No one on that show has ever received an acting nom for a Golden Globe (or an Emmy). If there was a season for it, this past one was it. What we did get was a mix of veteran actors from old shows and new. Some have won. Some have only been nominated. Read on for my thoughts and see if you agree.

Patrick Dempsey, Grey's Anatomy
Dempsey was nominated last year for his role as Dr. Derek Shepard, and as much as I love this show, I can't understand why. As an ensemble, the Grey's cast is spectacular. But as an individual, is Dempsey doing anything all that spectacular or revolutionary as McDreamy? I say no. He's good in this role. He fits this role. It's not award worthy though. This is definitely where I would have slid Chiklis in.

Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Hall is a newcomer to the Globes, having never been nominated during his five season run in HBO's Six Feet Under. For his part in Showtime's new original series Dexter, he certainly deserves the nomination. The show was fresh, very different, and easily made my list as best new series of the Fall season.

Hugh Laurie, House
Laurie won the Globe last year for his portrayal as Dr. Gregory House and you can argue that he should win it again this year. The current season of House has been wonderful and the way his character has been developed (especially regarding his Vicodin addiction) has been riveting. More than any of the other nominees, his character has grown and expanded the most this TV season.

Bill Paxton, Big Love
I'll be the first to say that I have no business critiquing Paxton's performance in the HBO freshman drama. I tried on numerous occasions to get into Big Love and just couldn't. From what I did see (about an episode and a half), Paxton seemed like he owned the role. However, I don't think it will be enough for him to get the win, especially considering who he's up against.

Kiefer Sutherland, 24
Sutherland wowed audiences as super-agent Jack Bauer in the fifth season of 24. He toppled the American presidency in the span of a day without managing to break a sweat. Sutherland previously won best actor for the same role in 2002. He, and the show, have only gotten better since then.

Who will win: I think Sutherland will walk away with the statue. Fresh off his 2006 best actor Emmy award, he's been on everyone's radar. Season five of 24 was the best reviewed and received of the series. It got nothing but praise. I see no reason why Jack Bauer can't knock Dr. House off of his throne.

Who should win: Michael C. Hall truly deserves this award. What he did in the first season of Dexter was nothing short of mesmerizing. Despite all the positive buzz and critical acceptance this show received, Hall won't win for two reasons. For one, I don't think enough people watched the show or they heard about it too late in the game. Secondly, Hall's previous role of David Fisher in SFU is still fresh in many folks' minds. It may take another season of Dexter to break that shell.

Mike

The Right Person won at the Golden Globes for Best Actor-Drama. Hugh Laurie is the Bomb. House is the best and I hope that this show will be on for years to come. Hugh ROCKS!

January 16 2007 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

No question.....HUGH LAURIE gets my vote.

Not only is he in practically every scene, he also has to remember to walk with the limp and cane AND talk in perfect English.
Amazingly he pulls it off week after week.
Brilliant!!

January 15 2007 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ana Craft

I have watched 24, House and Grey's Anatomy since their respective pilots. Your comments about Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo are totally out of line. They are excellent actors, and are the glue of that show. It takes more to acting that just frowning your way through "24 hours" or popping pills, limping and being sarcastic in the process of diagnosing an illness.

January 15 2007 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue johnson

I LOVE HUGH LAURIE HE IS THE GREATEST AT PLAYING DR. GREGORY HOUSE. I COULD WATCH HOUSE 24/7 IF THEY HAD IT ON . I WATCH HIM ON FOX AND ON USA I NEVER MISS A SHOW . THEY SHOULD MAKE HIS A 2 HOUR SHOW (EPISODE )
MR . LAURIE HAS MY VOTE .

January 15 2007 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debby

Hugh Laurie. His abilities as an actor seem limitless - he can do drama, comedy, a limp, and fake an American accent expertly. Sure, Sutherland can do the mortal peril, running and explosions thing but it seems like that's as far as his acting can go, and that's not all that exciting.. even with explosions.

January 14 2007 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AMS

Hugh Laurie. Riveting, compelling, utterly brilliant, subtle, complex, fascinating: sets the bar for everyone else, and, for the most part, the others are damn good too!

January 14 2007 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
romina cordoba

Jack Bauer is hard to beat, but Dr. House is a strange bittersuit puppy

January 14 2007 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Michael should win it...he even has the face of a psicho!

January 12 2007 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
griff

neither a spoiler nor a trailer be, just some 24-style fun - check it out!

January 12 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brooklyn

I agree with the commenter about Ian McShane. His performance in Deadwood is beyond good. I have never seen better acting in TV drama. His omition from even being nominated completely undermines Globe's credibility in my eyes. I don't think that Dempsey should have been nominated. Or Hugh Laurie.

I don't have a problem with anyone from the "Wire" not being nominated. That series is great due to the sum of its parts. No one in particular stands out because the casting itself is so good. It's like when noone won the MVP on the '98 Yankees (The greatest team EVER) because they were the ultimate team, and to pick one player over another would be an insult to both of them.

January 12 2007 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply