October 25, 2014

Numb3rs: Finders Keepers

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 13th 2007 4:34PM

Rob Morrow(S03E13) Here we go again. Another Deadwood cast member makes an appearance on Numb3rs. I'm not against it -- everyone from the HBO show is a great actor. I just think it's funny how they keep popping up on Numb3rs. It must be a running joke for the producers or something:

"OK, we've landed Calamity Jane and Dan Dority. What are the chances of getting Swearengen to play a rival math professor of Charlie's?"

Add Titus Welliver (a.k.a Silas Adams) to that list. He played a crotchety NSA agent that reluctantly helped out Don and his team. I think they handled that story poorly though. Charlie was helping out the NSA instead of the FBI and that clearly put a strain on the relationship between him and his brother. I wish they had kept that tension going for a few more episodes as opposed to resolving it so quickly. Charlie and Don not getting along would have been an interesting to dynamic to develop.

Speaking of getting along, looks like Liz Warner is back for good now since she's been transferred to Los Angeles. It would appear that her and Don are an item now. I'm not sure I get the point of it though. We know Don is terrified of commitment and the writers are attempting to make this seem like some sort of forbidden love. Liz is set on keeping the relationship quiet, but what's the point? Someone will find out and it will more than likely fall apart. I could be way off but I just don't see the point of developing a story when the outcome seems predictable.

Another thing I'm not too high on is Millie and her place in the lives of the Eppes family. I went from disliking her, to liking her, to back where I started. She's too friendly now, especially with Charlie. I thought they were going to be mortal enemies as she continually tried to put the kibosh on anything Charlie worked on that was FBI related. I liked the way that was going. Now she's just sort of there, helping him out. Once again, my favorite question: what's the point?

Overall, the episode was decent. Nothing too interesting about the case either. Without David (where is he?) or Larry around, the cast feels different. But there have been some good additions. Aya Sumika seems like she'll be playing Liz for a while anyway and hopefully Joshua Malina will be back for a third (or would it be fourth?) appearance. I look at it this way. Numb3rs has become a successful drama but for that success to last, things need to change and stay fresh. Hence, the new faces. Now if only we could get this show moved to any night besides Friday.

Jonathan Toomey

Robert --

A small correction for you. Robin Weigert has been in Numb3rs, as was Kim Dickens. Weigert was in this episode:

January 14 2007 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

I am surprised no one has mentioned that NSA has no law enforcement responsibilities - it is strictly an intelligence gathering organization. I understand from a plot standpoint why they threw these government thugs into the mix - National security, Mr Epps, don't mention it to your brother the FBI agent, but it makes no sense given the NSA role in intelligence collection.

January 14 2007 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

A small correction to your Deadwood reference. The actress that appears as a guest on the show doesn't play Calamity Jane. The actress is Kim Dickens, who plays Joanine Stubbs. Calamity Jane is played by Robin Weigert (who I'd also like to see on the show).

January 14 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Karen mentioned the idea that they may have brought the Liz Warner character to cover for Dianne Farr being off the show due to her pregnancy as well as to provide a romantic involvement for Don. I think it's likely that Kathy Najimy was brought on to play Millie as a sort of substitute for Larry Fleinhart while Peter MacNichol is off doing "24". Charlie needs someone to bounce his ideas off of, and even though I sort of dislike Millie, she's a better choice for that than Amita.

January 14 2007 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoeMama

I have to ask your question about this show in its entirety. What's the point? Before NUMB3RS came on I was really looking forward to it as I liked both the actors that play the leads, Don and Charlie. I've hated it ever since the second episode, I think it is written as if the audience is made up of complete morons. Half the uses of the title numbers are either unrelated to the case at hand or just not beleivable. Plus, they have Charlie explain them to the FBI agents like they are in the second grade.

January 13 2007 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy

I didn't like Millie when she first started, but I am now enjoying the way that she says something to spark Charlie's imagination and get him going on the correct answer.

Plus, the winning chess? Lovely.

January 13 2007 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ronald

i can't imagine....how Numb3rs be without Sinclair...

January 13 2007 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

One more thing - I forgot to include in my previous comment: Could they be bringing in the Liz Warner character to cover for when Diane Farr goes out on maternity leave? I believe she is due this spring...

January 13 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Yes, I missed Sinclair last night - 2nd week in a row he's been missing. Also, where was Amita?

January 13 2007 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply